Any heat issues with two amplifiers in cargo well? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Any heat issues with two amplifiers in cargo well?

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 03-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Any heat issues with two amplifiers in cargo well?

After installing my new audio equipment, I originally had both amps in the trunk cargo well, BUT I cut out a custom plywood cover (like LII3ERTYSP0RT's in his well documented audio installation thread). Basically it covers the trunk cargo well, but has a large rectangle cut out of the center to allow for heat to escape and keep the amps cool. This worked fine (even during hot summer days). The large rectangle cut out made the usable trunk space a lot smaller, so I moved one amp underneath my driver seat and kept one in the cargo well, but used the factory cargo cover. This setup worked and I had no problems with heat having the sub amp sealed in the cargo well with the factory cover. Due to where I live, we get a ton of snow, which means tracking in snow/mud/other wet stuff into the jeep and passengers (and me driving) had to be careful that their feet didn't hit the speaker's amp underneath the passenger seat because it sticks out a bit.

Now that I finally have some time, I was thinking about moving both amps back into the trunk cargo well, but using the factory cargo cover that has no air holes. Would there be a heat problem running this setup in the summer? If yes, could it be solved by installing a couple small fans? Also, what are some clean/secure ways to install fans by the amps if this route is taken?

The links below are the two amps I have.

Sub Amp:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Refer...eference+1600a

Speaker Amp:

http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosga...annel+300+watt

Thanks!

dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

I recently just stealth mounted my amps under the cargo area in the trunk. I have yet to have any problems with the stock cover. Although it has not been hot out yet being the Midwest I think they are going to preform fine.

Rockford t400-4
Aq 1200

So there's some power being pulled.

My 1st mod would be do put some fans in the walls of cargo area so air would be circulating constantly. Maybe computer fans something small powerful and compact
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Good to hear! What would you say you're hottest temperature outside has been so far while running your system?
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbingle
Good to hear! What would you say you're hottest temperature outside has been so far while running your system?
Max 50*F

Well see what summer has to offer in Arizona though
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Gotcha, I would estimate the same here. Guess I'm going to just go ahead and do it and if heats a problem throw in some fans. Good luck in the Arizona heat

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.