JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Antifreeze Fumes (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/antifreeze-fumes-1545685/)

cavscoutslj 07-06-2013 02:50 PM

Antifreeze Fumes

I have been smelling what appears to be antifreeze fumes in my 2008 liberty limited but 2 trips to the dealer have been fruitless. I assume the heater core has a leak but want to verify. Any ideas how I can do that and whether leak stop will take care of the problem? All help appreciated.

lfhoward 07-06-2013 09:01 PM

My KK efficiently sucks in whatever fumes are outdoors-- smoke, gas, whatever... I can smell them easily through the blower. Perhaps your leak is not at the heater core, but in your radiator? Does it do it all the time, or just when the engine is hot? Is the smell stronger with the heat on? Any drops of coolant on the driveway? How is your radiator cap? Just some thoughts...

I have heard that Stop Leak is almost always a bad idea. It will gum up your whole cooling system and lead to needing to replace more than just what is broken right now.

LJMJ 07-06-2013 09:23 PM

Agreed on all points

tjkj2002 07-08-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavscoutslj (Post 15647290)
I have been smelling what appears to be antifreeze fumes in my 2008 liberty limited but 2 trips to the dealer have been fruitless. I assume the heater core has a leak but want to verify. Any ideas how I can do that and whether leak stop will take care of the problem? All help appreciated.

99.9% of the time when you smell coolant from the vents it's a leaking heater core.Take a look at the AC drain in the engine bay and see if it has any coolant dripping out of it.A heater core can leak but not leak into the cabin area.Also if the inside of the windshield has a slimy coating(if you use defrost setting) that is a good clue to a leaking heater core.

cavscoutslj 07-16-2013 06:01 PM

checking

thank you all for your posts. I will try your recommendations.

FlyingV82 02-14-2014 01:34 PM

My 2008 Liberty just started having the same issue, antifreeze smell coming through the vents. I haven't had time to dig into the issue but so far, I have not noticed anything leaving inside the vehicle or residue on the windshield. I did notice the smell is stronger when the heat is on.

Weekend project I guess.

priebe 02-14-2014 03:38 PM

Have had the same issue for two winters now. Never had to add one drop to the coolant reservoir. So I assume it is just sucking fumes from under the hood somewhere. Probably just the bit of fumes that comes off the coolant reservoir when hot.

tjkj2002 02-14-2014 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by priebe (Post 20368833)
Have had the same issue for two winters now. Never had to add one drop to the coolant reservoir. So I assume it is just sucking fumes from under the hood somewhere. Probably just the bit of fumes that comes off the coolant reservoir when hot.

The coolant tank is in the front of the engine bay and if you have the hood to cowl seal in place the fresh air intake is pretty well sealed off from any vapors from the engine bay.

DarkSport11 02-14-2014 08:36 PM

My 02 does the same thing. No coolant loss, there is a smell of coolant momentarily when I first turn on the heat and then it goes away. No leak in the radiator and all new hoses. On my 02 the coolant tank is mounted to the firewall and has a brand new radiator cap on it. The carpet is dry inside and there is no coolant dripping out of the AC hose under the nor is there ever any coolant on the ground. Been searching for a year now and still don't have the answer, I've all but given up and just deal with it. Is it annoying?, yes. Do I think it's the heater core?, possibly.

Drednot 02-14-2014 10:21 PM

Get ahold of a cooling system pressure tester. You then pump pressure into the cooling system and watch the pressure gauge. If it slowly drops, there is a leak somewhere. Then test the cap. New caps ate notorious for being bad...especially the cheaper ones

nsgasbarre 02-23-2014 09:18 PM

Check Heater Core. They tend to go in the KK's. I just hand mine done. I have a 2008 Sport. It cost around $1500.00 (under warranty)

The time now is 07:50 PM.