another gascap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > another gascap question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
rvjon

another gascap question

I'm brand new here and I'm having a real problem with the gascap and check engine light on my '11 Liberty Sport,bottom of the line model w/o even a trailer hitch,48K miles and I've had it three months. I have had it into the dealer several times and they have changed a line,two gas caps and the canister. The last time,they told me that I had to drive it over 20 miles and it would self reset overnight. Well, I got a tank of gas,took it to the dealer and they checked that I had gotten the cap on right,reset the lights and I headed for Portland. I drove all the way,170 miles,and didn't even turn it off at the rest stops. Got there and parked it overnight and when I got in the next morning to head up the Gorge,the light came on. Another thing is that the other day,I just turned the key on and noticed that the electronic throttle light stayed on and when it went out,the check engine light flashed 10 times and then stayed on. ???????

rvjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

When you stated you didn't turn it off at all did you put gas while it was running?

If you didn't put gas while running they might have to run a smoke test. There could be a hose that is kinked up or something could be clogged up.
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
rvjon

I got gas,the dealer cleared the fault and I drove it 170 miles before turning it off. When I stopped at a rest area,I just locked the door with my extra key and left it running, They told me it needed to go at least 21 miles before self testing so I made sure it did..
They did run a smoke test twice. The first time they found a leak right at the gas cap and the second time it was the canister.They also went to an aftermarket gas cap and then back to an OEM the second time and those were replaced before the smoke test.
It's got 49K miles on it and came from a rental company.
Unread 09-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
JeepCares

Maybe the two things have nothing to do with each other.

from the 2011 Liberty Owner Manual:
5. Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Light
This light informs you of a problem with the
Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system. If a
problem is detected, the light will come on
while the engine is running. Cycle the ignition
key when the vehicle has completely stopped and the
shift lever is placed in the PARK position. The light
should turn off. If the light remains lit with the engine
running, your vehicle will usually be drivable; however,
see an authorized dealer for service as soon as possible. If
the light is flashing when the engine is running, immediate
service is required and you may experience reduced
performance, an elevated/rough idle or engine stall and
your vehicle may require towing. The light will come on
when the ignition is first turned to ON/RUN and remain
on briefly as a bulb check. If the light does not come on
during starting, have the system checked by an authorized
dealer.
6. Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)
The Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is part of
an onboard diagnostic system, called OBD, that
monitors engine and automatic transmission control
systems. The light will illuminate when the key is in
the ON/RUN position, before engine start. If the bulb
does not come on when turning the key from OFF to
ON/RUN, have the condition checked promptly.
Certain conditions, such as a loose or missing gas cap,
poor fuel quality, etc., may illuminate the MIL after
engine start. The vehicle should be serviced if the light
stays on through several of your typical driving cycles. In
most situations, the vehicle will drive normally and will
not require towing.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
rvjon

Wow,will wonders never cease. I installed the wiring harness for my new Cort trailer hitch and one of the items was to run a power line from the battery to the converter (?) and I had to disconnect the battery to do it. Got it all done,1/2 day project, and rehooked the battery and lo and behold,no gascap lite and no check engine lite. I'll have to get gas in a couple of days,so am leaving the cap alone till then.
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjon View Post
Wow,will wonders never cease. I installed the wiring harness for my new Cort trailer hitch and one of the items was to run a power line from the battery to the converter (?) and I had to disconnect the battery to do it. Got it all done,1/2 day project, and rehooked the battery and lo and behold,no gascap lite and no check engine lite. I'll have to get gas in a couple of days,so am leaving the cap alone till then.
It might come back on. Different scenario, but my friend's Subaru always has a check engine light, and whenever we disconnect the battery it turns it off for 1-3 days and returns every time.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
rvjon

Yuuuuupp,sure did. Worked as it should have,but came on today and didn't show gascap. Gonna take it into the dealer today. Another thing it's doing is a kind of a hesitation,stumble,slight miss, going down the road over 45 and the exhaust smells rich.
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Yuuuuupp,sure did. Worked as it should have,but came on today and didn't show gascap. Gonna take it into the dealer today. Another thing it's doing is a kind of a hesitation,stumble,slight miss, going down the road over 45 and the exhaust smells rich.
They are all probably related. I was gonna say go full throttle a few times to see if it runs better, but not if the check engine light is on.
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
rvjon

Ran it by the dealer's this afternoon to get an appointment for tomorrow and they're just going apes**t about this. Since the light came on the day after I took it home the first time,it's costing them some money. The aftermarket warranty that they give you for a 9 month period doesn't cover emissions and they're starting to tear their hair out.
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Let us know how it goes.
Unread 09-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
RKK
2012 KK Liberty 

Next time ask the dealer what the error code was? And post it on the forum.
RKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
rvjon

Ok,got it in yesterday and they did something to it. No gascap,no check engine lite and I'm not sure about the rich fuel smell and the hesitation. She didn't give me the codes and said something about they had found a bent pin on a connector and had replaced the connector. Then she said that it'll take a week or so for all the systems to reboot. Got a full tank of gas today and no gascap lite,so we'll have to wait and see.
Not sure why she didn't give me the codes and she was kind of vague about the fix. This is the place that I have taken all my vehicles for about ten years and have bought my last two here,so I usually have a pretty good feeling about them.
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #13
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Ok,got it in yesterday and they did something to it. No gascap,no check engine lite and I'm not sure about the rich fuel smell and the hesitation. She didn't give me the codes and said something about they had found a bent pin on a connector and had replaced the connector. Then she said that it'll take a week or so for all the systems to reboot. Got a full tank of gas today and no gascap lite,so we'll have to wait and see.
Not sure why she didn't give me the codes and she was kind of vague about the fix. This is the place that I have taken all my vehicles for about ten years and have bought my last two here,so I usually have a pretty good feeling about them.
Hopefully that was the problem. You'll soon find out. Still would have been nice to get the codes.
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #14
RKK
2012 KK Liberty 

If the issue is with the connector, what connector? Canister? At TIPM. Connectors usually do not go bad unless some one worked on them before.
RKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
rvjon

Well, a whole month has gone by and no engine lite. I've gotten three tanks of gas and no gas cap warning, so I think that took care of the problem. Do have a change oil lite at about 1k early, but in the time frame. Oh well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.