all terrain tires TO AVOID?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > all terrain tires TO AVOID??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 12-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

all terrain tires TO AVOID??

I see a lot of people recommending tires, but other than the OEM Goodyears, not many people list ones to avoid.

So please post up if you have had a crappy experience with a particular tire.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

-Mike

bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

#1 AT to avoid at all costs is the BFG AT.Extremely weak sidewalls,went through 4 AT's and 2 MT's(KM1's) in less then 200 miles and all brand new tires due to sidewall gashes.Just playing in soupy mud,no rocks,no tree roots,and no pavement or nothing the sidewalls just gave out.Could see one but 6 total,just a bad tire company all together.This was on a '84 CUCV Blazer,took all the tires back and got Interco TSL's(front,34x9.50x15) and rear Boggers(33x14.50x15) and never had a issue ever again,couldn't pay me to run BFG tires now.
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Hesher420
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I couldn't disagree more. I have BF goodrich all terrain KOs and have run them in mud, on rocks, over trees stumps, pretty much anything. I air down to 15 psi, and the side walls flex nicely and have never given me a problem.

As a bonus they wear very nicely on the road, and do great in the snow and ice.

**'06 Blacked Out LJ**

> > > LJ Owners Group < < <

Black Jeep Society
"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Hesher420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

general grabbers are EXTREMELY LOUD
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

How did the the BFG sidewalls "just give out". There had to have been crap mixed into the mud, I doubt the tires just failed.

I have run BFG AT and MT on at least 4 of my 4x4's. I have cut one or two, but I have also cut a couple GoodYear Wrangler MT/R's.

The more an A/T looks like a car tire the less likely it performs well on a 4x4. I have some Firestone Destination A/T's that are sorta OK. They were really cheap, so I will keep them for now.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
MrGoose
2008 KK Liberty 

I had some Goodyear MTRs on my TJ, loved them except they were crazy loud on the road.
MrGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
How did the the BFG sidewalls "just give out". There had to have been crap mixed into the mud, I doubt the tires just failed.

I have run BFG AT and MT on at least 4 of my 4x4's. I have cut one or two, but I have also cut a couple GoodYear Wrangler MT/R's.

The more an A/T looks like a car tire the less likely it performs well on a 4x4.
No crap in the mud,just a nice clean tear about 2"-3" long in the same spot on the inside sidewall,pretty much the exact same spot on all 6 tires.Cuts to clean to be from a tree root or even a rock.The tire place was confused also as they had many other complaints and issues also.Looked like someone took a razor blade to the tires.

No one runs them back home anymore,to many issues.All have gone to Maxxis tires pretty much,cheaper then BFG's also and a much better tire.

Look at my left rear tire in the pic below,those are Trxus MT's and could never do that with a BFG AT or KM1 without failure.

Unread 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am thinking you must had a bad batch of tires. I have had several set of BFG A/T's and two sets of BFG M/T (original tread) and have had no unusual failures. I have been to Moab with BFG A/T and BFG M/T and had no unusual failures.

I have no problem recommending BFG's for a decent A/T tire.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I am thinking you must had a bad batch of tires.
1,maybe 2 I could understand but 6 with 2 being a total different make of tire? No that's just a bad tire company.When I was in the military we had aloty of issues with michelin tires(who makes BFG's),and was pretty much the same effect,smooth tears in the sidewalls on G range tires no less.
Unread 12-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

I just got my 3rd set of BFG AT's and i LOVE them!!!! They have been a virtually unchanged design for about 30 years!! I will continue to buy them...
sreno0207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
tbeaton

gy sr-a suck, they wear way to fast. i hear the same about the general at2
tbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

I used to own a tire shop, sold all kinds including BFGs back in the late 70s to early 80s, BFGs were OK then, now they are junk, much better tires out there now for sure.
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
quikgt
2008 KK Liberty 

Recently purchased Hercules alltrac A/T in a 235/70-16 for my 2005 Escape awd and I'm surprised how good the snow traction is for not being a dedicated winter tire. Ride and handling are good as well.
But i don't like noise, and there is a slight whine starting at 20 mph although it does not increase with speed-wierd.
quikgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikgt
Recently purchased Hercules alltrac A/T in a 235/70-16 for my 2005 Escape awd and I'm surprised how good the snow traction is for not being a dedicated winter tire. Ride and handling are good as well.
But i don't like noise, and there is a slight whine starting at 20 mph although it does not increase with speed-wierd.
They suck in the mud though. I have two friends that have taken them off their trucks because of that.
Unread 01-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin11 View Post
They suck in the mud though. I have two friends that have taken them off their trucks because of that.
AT generally all suck in mud,hence being a AT tire.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.