Airaid throttle body spacer - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Airaid throttle body spacer

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Reply
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #1
jmic0925
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Leonardtown, Maryland
Posts: 53
Airaid throttle body spacer

I know many are against the intakes and stuff, but has anyone put in one of these kits in their KK?

jmic0925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,113
Does nothing for a multiport FI engine,just a $100 paper weight.Works for TBI and carb'd engines though.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
NAMoulton
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 384
I've put in a Airaid TBS and K&N CAI and gotten mpg gains from both. About 1.5-2mpg increase from the TBS and 2-3mpg increase from the CAI.
NAMoulton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
Seagull96
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 69
Do yourself a favor and spend the $100 on a Viper TB if you're even thinking about upgrading intake.. all else is just hocus pocus and extra noise
__________________
1996 ZJ: stock with some lights and a grille guard thrown on, now retired
2010 KK: K&N CAI, Viper TB, Hypertech Max Energy, Hood Strut Mod, Weathertech Liners

"If everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!"
Seagull96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMoulton View Post
I've put in a Airaid TBS and K&N CAI and gotten mpg gains from both. About 1.5-2mpg increase from the TBS and 2-3mpg increase from the CAI.
Not possible,no way for a TBS to add mpg or HP on a multiport FI engine.Same goes for the K&N.All you got was added noise and that is it since the PCM will adjust back to stock after a few drive cycles.

Unless you do internal engine mods freeing up the intake or exhaust sides does nothing on OBDII engines.


Here is a kicker,a mostly clogged air filter in a OBDII engine will actually give better mpg's then a fresh air filter.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
NAMoulton
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Not possible,no way for a TBS to add mpg or HP on a multiport FI engine.Same goes for the K&N.All you got was added noise and that is it since the PCM will adjust back to stock after a few drive cycles.

Unless you do internal engine mods freeing up the intake or exhaust sides does nothing on OBDII engines.


Here is a kicker,a mostly clogged air filter in a OBDII engine will actually give better mpg's then a fresh air filter.
When I got the Jeep, stock it was gettin 13-14mpg where I live (lots of mountains and hard turns). I added the TBS and started getting 15-16mpg. Added bigger tires got 12-13mpg. Added CAI got 15-16 again Added 2" lift got 14-15mpg. I keep track with every fill up what my gas milage is. Not saying I'm a scientist or mechanic, just throwing out my results from it.
NAMoulton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #7
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMoulton View Post
When I got the Jeep, stock it was gettin 13-14mpg where I live (lots of mountains and hard turns). I added the TBS and started getting 15-16mpg. Added bigger tires got 12-13mpg. Added CAI got 15-16 again Added 2" lift got 14-15mpg. I keep track with every fill up what my gas milage is. Not saying I'm a scientist or mechanic, just throwing out my results from it.
Hate to burst your bubble, but my stock jeep using a gas calculator app ran everywhere from 14.5 ave to 17.5 ave per tank over 2 months. Filled up at the same station using the same gas. Point being that your variables are within an acceptable variance due to driving style and weather conditions... IE a windy day can effect fuel mileage. This is why the EPA conducts all MPG testing in a controlled environment. "Your actual mileage will vary" is very true. What controlled environment testing is good for is to compare one vehicle to another.

Just like when I had the 300C.. Folks would add all kinds of exhaust and intake mods claiming how much faster they were... until they hit the dyno and discovered it didn't do squat... Me, I added a short ram intake (FOR NOISE) and a diablosport tuner to mine and heck was able to get a bunch of performance out of my Hemi.. the point?? The intake just made it sound cool when I goosed it... it was the programming of the PCM that gave me my performance gain..nothing else.

Now if there were a tuner for the 3.7, that would be a different story...
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Unless you do internal engine mods freeing up the intake or exhaust sides does nothing on OBDII engines.
I have a little complaint about that statement.. If you do internal mods on a OBDII engine you run the risk of loosing performance at the minimum. Cam changes and such can confuse the computer and when it tries to compensate all kinds of mayhem can ensue..

Conversely, many OBDII engines are actually very conservatively tuned. With the right programming, you can really wake an engine up without having to change a darn thing..except maybe the octane of fuel you use. Left to go wild though, you can also blow them up.. ask the early tuners of the Mopar Hemi...
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:16 PM   #9
huntb
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by josworth View Post
Hate to burst your bubble, but my stock jeep using a gas calculator app ran everywhere from 14.5 ave to 17.5 ave per tank over 2 months. Filled up at the same station using the same gas. Point being that your variables are within an acceptable variance due to driving style and weather conditions... IE a windy day can effect fuel mileage. This is why the EPA conducts all MPG testing in a controlled environment. "Your actual mileage will vary" is very true. What controlled environment testing is good for is to compare one vehicle to another.

Just like when I had the 300C.. Folks would add all kinds of exhaust and intake mods claiming how much faster they were... until they hit the dyno and discovered it didn't do squat... Me, I added a short ram intake (FOR NOISE) and a diablosport tuner to mine and heck was able to get a bunch of performance out of my Hemi.. the point?? The intake just made it sound cool when I goosed it... it was the programming of the PCM that gave me my performance gain..nothing else.

Now if there were a tuner for the 3.7, that would be a different story...
There is: http://www.amazon.com/Hypertech-5250.../dp/B006RQ44BM
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by josworth View Post
I have a little complaint about that statement.. If you do internal mods on a OBDII engine you run the risk of loosing performance at the minimum. Cam changes and such can confuse the computer and when it tries to compensate all kinds of mayhem can ensue..

Conversely, many OBDII engines are actually very conservatively tuned. With the right programming, you can really wake an engine up without having to change a darn thing..except maybe the octane of fuel you use. Left to go wild though, you can also blow them up.. ask the early tuners of the Mopar Hemi...
Did I say anything about tuning the PCM? Nope I did not and all I stated is for stock PCM tune.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
Hey didn't realize that had something for a 2010 and up....

shame I don't want my current ride to run on premium and be able to smoke 'em from light to light.... I got rid of the Hemi.....

Now I just play with hood lifts and such...
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #12
tommudd
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central OH/ Moshi Tanzania, Ohio/Tanzania
Posts: 4,328
Throttle body spacers and cold air intakes do nothing at all except provide a placebo effect in the KJs/KKs . People think they are getting better mileage/ more power but its two things ...in their mind and they now drive differently
IF you still had gas and air entering the same place like with a carb'd engine then yes some difference with a spacer but then mostly at only wide open throttle
__________________
04 Liberty, Kilimanjaro Edition, Rock Lizard RockRails/Roof Rack/Front-Rear bumper,32 inch Goodyear Duratracs,Moabs,4.10s/ 4.25 inch JBA Coilover lift /other goodies
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #13
huntb
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by josworth View Post
Hey didn't realize that had something for a 2010 and up....

shame I don't want my current ride to run on premium and be able to smoke 'em from light to light.... I got rid of the Hemi.....

Now I just play with hood lifts and such...
That is not for 2010 and up. Its for 2008 - 2010. It will not work on 2011 and up
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 06:51 AM   #14
josworth
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio (OH)
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntb View Post
That is not for 2010 and up. Its for 2008 - 2010. It will not work on 2011 and up
Ahhh... that actually makes sense.. 2011 is the magic year that Chrysler locked out the Hemi cars PCM as well. I have since drifted from that group but I think in late 2013 Diablosport finally decoded the 2011 and up PCM..

All good fun but that is not anything I would think to do to my Jeep. It's fine the way it is... 'bout the only thing I may toy with over the years is the suspension... where, when I had the 300C I was always playing around with different tunes and what not...
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.