Adding a PML trans pan... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Adding a PML trans pan...

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

Adding a PML trans pan...

I'll be (hopefully) adding a PML 42rle transmission pan soon during my first transmission oil change since I do allot of towing.

My reasoning for getting one is the the KK is notorious for overheating the trans on trails when pushed hard.

On the PML website it says the pan is compatible, butt then it says not to use the pan on transmissions where you check the fluid level with a dipstick? Does anyone have one of these upgraded pans?

If I measure exactly how much oil I remove, and add exactly that amount plus the added difference of the larger pan, shouldn't the be a perfect fluid refill?

Once I have the pan back on and want to measure my fluid levels...doesn't the fluid temp test go out the window since the pan and extra quart of fluid lower the trans temp? Can I still use the fluid level stick to check after?

Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Steve40th

All the extra fluid does is add extra fluid. Takes longer to warm up, which sometimes isnt good. Also, takes longer for fluid to get cooler as their is more volume. A cooler inline with the factory cooler in front of the radiator , with radiator fan providing airflow obviously, is the best way to cool a transmission. This has been proven before.
Now if your new pan has cooling vents or tubers like an old derale pan, then it may benefit. But in reality, an inline cooler is the best period.
Steve40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm planning on getting one when its time for my first fluid change, too. This is an interesting question. I was a little freaked out by the lack of dipstick but I just took the engine oil dipstick and scribed a hot and cold level line(of the factory fill) on it for use in the trans. It is a little longer than the trans would take so it hits the bottom of the pan when you use it. So, to compensate for the deeper pan, you should take the readings of the stock pan first, scribe the lines on the bottom first and scribe/paint a line at the top of the cable even with the top of the tube. That way with the deep pan, you can use the top line to stop the dipstick since the pan bottom would be lower than stock.

Does that make sense?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
I'm planning on getting one when its time for my first fluid change, too. This is an interesting question. I was a little freaked out by the lack of dipstick but I just took the engine oil dipstick and scribed a hot and cold level line(of the factory fill) on it for use in the trans. It is a little longer than the trans would take so it hits the bottom of the pan when you use it. So, to compensate for the deeper pan, you should take the readings of the stock pan first, scribe the lines on the bottom first and scribe/paint a line at the top of the cable even with the top of the tube. That way with the deep pan, you can use the top line to stop the dipstick since the pan bottom would be lower than stock.

Does that make sense?
I contacted PML and spoke with Dave, who I'm assuming is the guy that runs the show over there.

He stated they have a newly designed pan coming out by the end of November that will incorporate the 'step' that's inside the newer 42RLE trans pans.

I'm postponing my fluid change for a few months while they design the new one, and hopefully I'll be one of the first with the new pan.

As a side note, I now have a standard 42RLE PML pan with no step for sale cheap!
Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.