Accessing a 2010 Liberty spare tire. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Accessing a 2010 Liberty spare tire.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 06-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
pauld73
2010 KK Liberty 

Accessing a 2010 Liberty spare tire.

I just bought my 2010 Liberty on Mar.31 and I was wondering just how hard is it to get to the spare tire. I know you crank the winch in the cargo area and the spare comes down to the ground. I am wondering if there is an easier way to just check the air in the spare or to add a little air when it becomes necessary. I have a heart pump and it's not easy for me to get on the ground anymore under the vehicle dragging the battery bag for the pump. I was hoping there was an easier way to check the air pressure, like from the cargo area.

Paul

pauld73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Was just under my KK today and afraid not. Only way to access it is by laying underneath. You can get at the air value without taking it off though so if you want to check the pressure, that's doable without removing the spare, but you'll still have to get underneath or get someone to do it for you. If it's difficult with your condition, I'm sure you could stop by a tire shop and they'd happy to check the pressure on the spare for you and fill it up if it needs it.
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65R17 WeatherTech Floor Liners Mopar Cargo Tray
LibertyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
az16339
2009 KK Liberty 

While discussing KK spares, what's involved in replacing the mini-spare with a full-sized wheel and tire? Can you just swap a full-size wheel and tire for the little one, or do you have to make OEM mods to the spare's mounting hardware, etc?
az16339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
JeepFreak91

Coming over from the Cherokee forum, but doesn't the Liberty have TPMS?
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91 View Post
Coming over from the Cherokee forum, but doesn't the Liberty have TPMS?
Yeah, but it doesn't work on a non-rotating wheel.
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHopeful View Post
Yeah, but it doesn't work on a non-rotating wheel.
There are 2 systems,1 will only read the 4 tires(for those with the non-full sized spare) and the other system will read all 5 which includes the spare.If you got a full size spare with a sensor in it your TPMS system reads the spare also.
Unread 06-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
JeepFreak91

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
There are 2 systems,1 will only read the 4 tires(for those with the non-full sized spare) and the other system will read all 5 which includes the spare.If you got a full size spare with a sensor in it your TPMS system reads the spare also.
Ok, gotcha. With all this new stuff Jeep is introducing, its hard to keep up.
Thanks
JeepFreak91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepFreak91 View Post
Ok, gotcha. With all this new stuff Jeep is introducing, its hard to keep up.
Thanks
They had to..........

TPMS is federally mandated on all '08+ vehicles sold in the US and by 2012 all vehicles sold in the US must have ESP also due to federal regulations.Jeep is just ahead,which is a bad thing due to lazy people that never learned how to drive.
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
CmdrK
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by az16339 View Post
While discussing KK spares, what's involved in replacing the mini-spare with a full-sized wheel and tire? Can you just swap a full-size wheel and tire for the little one, or do you have to make OEM mods to the spare's mounting hardware, etc?
Jeep has a separate winch for the full-size wheel, which I put in when I added a full-size spare. The original winch might have worked but I wanted to get the job done at once and not have to wait another day to order a different winch. You could try it with the original winch and see how it fits.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #145
LIBERTY LOVIN CLUB MEMBER #4
CmdrK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the TPMS only works when the wheels are rotating. It will not get a correct read on a stationary wheel if you've added or removed pressure until you drive and the wheel rotates.

I know this is true for BMW's TPMS and I suspect it is true for Jeep, too, because I just changed the pressure in all 4 of my tires and I was getting wacky readings until I drove a hundred feet or so, then my TPMS display showed the exact PSI I put in each tire.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.