About to take the plunge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > About to take the plunge

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-28-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
JeepWatever

About to take the plunge

Hello everyone....Wanted to thank all the posters who helped me decide to replace my 1998 Mazda Protege with a Jeep Liberty that is perfect for my needs, which is a second car mainly for supermarket/Home Depot/mall trips and driving grandchildren around....and something I can count on in the winter (BMW 435 RWD coupe is great fun but won't leave my garage in bad weather)...Found a Jeep Liberty Sport Silver Metallic in perfect condition with 16,100 miles, new tires, brake pads, fresh oil change and 6 month/6K warranty for $18995. At the 4-5K miles/year I will put on it, should last a long time, right?????

JeepWatever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #2
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

What year KK ? Have it inspected by your dealer, sounds weird it would need new brakes and tires with only 16k on it it unless somebody beat the crap out of it.PS, Also stay from SKY SLIDER ROOFS .
RENE65 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
JeepWatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65 View Post
What year KK ? Have it inspected by your dealer, sounds weird it would need new brakes and tires with only 16k on it it unless somebody beat the crap out of it.PS, Also stay from SKY SLIDER ROOFS .
2011....They said they replace tires if they have less than 50% tread...Not sure percentage on brake pads....Didn't see any evidence of it being beat..Could have been someone who didn't pay attention to tire pressure and was hard on brakes? Did read many complaints about Slider Roofs and know to stir clear of them.
Unread 07-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Hey, I love my skyslider! Anyways, I'm about to hit 40k miles and I replaced my rears once. I gotta check them though, starting to hear them again. Also replaced tires at 28k, but I never aligned them and didn't really care about the stockers. Also why only 6k mile warranty? Doesn't the original 36k transfer?
Unread 07-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Cleaner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepWatever View Post
2011....They said they replace tires if they have less than 50% tread...Not sure percentage on brake pads....Didn't see any evidence of it being beat..Could have been someone who didn't pay attention to tire pressure and was hard on brakes? Did read many complaints about Slider Roofs and know to stir clear of them.
I would definitely shop around, I dont know the options you are looking for but.. there are many deals to be had in central NJ. I dont know if the low miles are what you are after or the newer model year etc... If you would like you can PM me/email me Cleaner07@aol.com (I know cherry hill is far from somerset county, but if you are ever planning on being in the area I can go over a few things with you and show you ours).

My wife and I have owned our KK for 3 years now, we bought it with 28K miles on it (now has 72K) and its a limited with trail rated. It literally has every option besides the sky sunroof(it has a standard moon roof)

The one main thing I wouldnt want missing from a liberty is the trail rated package... Ive seen so many without it try to drive on the beach at island beach state park and need to get towed out
Unread 07-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
JeepWatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
Hey, I love my skyslider! Anyways, I'm about to hit 40k miles and I replaced my rears once. I gotta check them though, starting to hear them again. Also replaced tires at 28k, but I never aligned them and didn't really care about the stockers. Also why only 6k mile warranty? Doesn't the original 36k transfer?
3 years is up...the 6 months is the dealer CPO warranty that covers everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleaner13 View Post
I would definitely shop around, I dont know the options you are looking for but.. there are many deals to be had in central NJ. I dont know if the low miles are what you are after or the newer model year etc... If you would like you can PM me/email me Cleaner07@aol.com (I know cherry hill is far from somerset county, but if you are ever planning on being in the area I can go over a few things with you and show you ours).

My wife and I have owned our KK for 3 years now, we bought it with 28K miles on it (now has 72K) and its a limited with trail rated. It literally has every option besides the sky sunroof(it has a standard moon roof)

The one main thing I wouldnt want missing from a liberty is the trail rated package... Ive seen so many without it try to drive on the beach at island beach state park and need to get towed out
Since this is going to be a second car, I don't need it loaded up. Would normally be willing to get an older one with lots of miles, but concerned it could have been abused with lots of hard off roading. You can PM me if you want to give me examples of what you consider good deals.
Unread 07-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Umm.. hate to be a stickler, but all 4x4 Libertys are Trail Rated, even the ones without the off-road package with skids. Only the 2WD is not.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #8
Cleaner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by josworth View Post
Umm.. hate to be a stickler, but all 4x4 Libertys are Trail Rated, even the ones without the off-road package with skids. Only the 2WD is not.
Not the JET edition or any edition that came with the 20 inch factory wheels...
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Ooops.. I stand corrected on that one. You are correct. The Jet package (it was a package not a model, you could get a Sport or Limited with the Jet Package) did remove the Trail Rating..

Thing is, there never was a Trail Rated package. That was just part of a 4x4. Now, there is an off road package that added skid plates and some other things, but that is not what drove the Trail Rated designation.

My 2010 Limited does not have the towing package or the off road package but still carries the Trail Rated designation.

Now on Grand Cherokees, The Compass, the Patriot, and the Commander you needed certain options in addition to four wheel drive for them to come with the Trail Rated designation, but you could get it. The Liberty and Wrangler are the only two that came as Trail Rated in base trim since that designation came out in 2004 as far as I can recall.

Like the new Cherokee... I think the only Trail Rated version is the Trailhawk model.
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Cleaner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by josworth View Post
Ooops.. I stand corrected on that one. You are correct. The Jet package (it was a package not a model, you could get a Sport or Limited with the Jet Package) did remove the Trail Rating..

Thing is, there never was a Trail Rated package. That was just part of a 4x4. Now, there is an off road package that added skid plates and some other things, but that is not what drove the Trail Rated designation.

My 2010 Limited does not have the towing package or the off road package but still carries the Trail Rated designation.

Now on Grand Cherokees, The Compass, the Patriot, and the Commander you needed certain options in addition to four wheel drive for them to come with the Trail Rated designation, but you could get it. The Liberty and Wrangler are the only two that came as Trail Rated in base trim since that designation came out in 2004 as far as I can recall.

Like the new Cherokee... I think the only Trail Rated version is the Trailhawk model.
So is there an off road package like in terms of an option on the window sticker?

The reason I ask is my wifes jeep had the different transfercase, the updated cooling system, factory skids etc...
Unread 07-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Anything larger than 17" wheels doesn't get trail rated. That includes all Limited models with 18" wheels
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
So is there an off road package like in terms of an option on the window sticker?

The reason I ask is my wifes jeep had the different transfercase, the updated cooling system, factory skids etc...
Yes, there is an off road option package. Now the earlier KJ version had skid plates, locking rear diff, off road tires, and heavy duty cooling, based on a old road test I have. Going further back, when I had my 2001 Cherokee Limited, it had both the off road package and Up Country Suspension. Then the off road package was diff, cooling, tires, and skids. So they pretty much have followed that route.

So, the transfer case, or four wheel drive system, is a separate option all together. I assume you have Selec Trac vs. the standard Command Trac.

Now, since you list heavy duty cooling I have to ask.. Do you have a factory tow hitch? If not, then I would assume the off road package included heavy duty cooling in the KK just like in earlier Libertys and Cherokees.

My Limited is only missing the Off Road Package, Towing Package, and Rain Sensing Wipers. Other than that it has all the options.. Glass Sun Roof, Navigation, Auto Climate Control, Selec Trac, Remote Start, and Memory settings.
Unread 07-29-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:

I believe the offroad package came with skids and tow hooks, as well as a full size spare. There's also a tow package that came with a full size spare, hitch, heavy duty cooling(mechanical fan) and trailer sway control(which is debated on being in every KK as it uses the esp to control it).

And every 4x4 liberty is identical aside from options. You have select-trac(has an auto option) and command-trac(true part time) for transfer cases. The only thing that makes a 4x4 Liberty not "trail rated" is rims over 16". So if each KK is optioned the same and 1 had 16s, and the other had 18s, the one with 18s won't be trail rated.
Unread 07-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
I believe the offroad package came with skids and tow hooks, as well as a full size spare. There's also a tow package that came with a full size spare, hitch, heavy duty cooling(mechanical fan) and trailer sway control(which is debated on being in every KK as it uses the esp to control it).

And every 4x4 liberty is identical aside from options. You have select-trac(has an auto option) and command-trac(true part time) for transfer cases. The only thing that makes a 4x4 Liberty not "trail rated" is rims over 16". So if each KK is optioned the same and 1 had 16s, and the other had 18s, the one with 18s won't be trail rated.
I'm going to crawl under mine and see about the spare.. according to a Jeep spec sheet on Allpar the Limited also came with full size spare.

I do know however that mine is trail rated with 17" rims.. I guess that is the cut off. I need to research the 18"... just to satisfy my own curiosity.
Unread 07-30-2014, 04:19 AM   #15
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is a latitude. Has tow package, so HD cooling, hitch, 3.73, full size spare. It has the off-road package, skids, tow hooks, but it had the 18" wheels so no trail rated badge.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.