4wd and first gear not holding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 4wd and first gear not holding

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 12-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
ehouli
2011 KK Liberty 

4wd and first gear not holding

Hi there!

I'm new to the forum and a newbie with Jeeps. I got 2011 KK, and decided to try it yesterday at the mountain.

Climbing up it's really good, but coming down, I wasn't pleased, I already had the truck in 4wd Low, I engaged 1st gear and began descending, the road is roughly paved but in good shape so I just needed the engine and transmission to hold the vehicle when coming down the steep hill, which didn't happen exactly, I found my self using the brakes more than I wanted and the engine easily revving up to 5000 rpms, after all that the brakes got a little overheated. I've driven Toyotas, Chevys and Fords before and this didn't happen to me before. A peer at work has a 2007 Grand Cherokee and he tells me that he didn't have that problem at the same place, but he needed to use 3rd gear as the 1st and 2nd were too short.

What experience do you have under similar conditions? Is this the normal?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help

ehouli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Jeepin11
2011 KK Liberty 

The liberties come with hill descent control. You have to be in 4lo to engage it. There is a button right next to the four way flasher button. Trust me it works. But you shouldn't be in 4wheel on pavement anyways. Really not good for your drive train.
Unread 12-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
ehouli
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin11 View Post
The liberties come with hill descent control. You have to be in 4lo to engage it. There is a button right next to the four way flasher button. Trust me it works. But you shouldn't be in 4wheel on pavement anyways. Really not good for your drive train.
Thanks Jeepin11 for your help, my understanding is that the HDC should be used when you have to go down a hill in really bad conditions and need to go very slow, can it be used for long periods of time?

In this mountain you have to engage 4wd low because the hill is very steep( 30 degrees easily) and it takes you around 20 to 30 minutes to go down at around 10 to 15 mph, else you're going to get seriously injured
Unread 12-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have never had any issues with my hill descent control and use it a lot when 4-wheeling. although the fastest speed you can go with hill descent, i believe, is 7mph in D. Probably too slow.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
ehouli
2011 KK Liberty 

Hey Happy New Year!!!

Today I'm going back to the mountain and will make a video so you can see what happens when coming downhill... If I find other KKs up there I'll ask them how they go downhill.

Cheers,

Erick
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Did you leave the gear selector in D, or drop it down to low? Remember the faster your vehicle goes, the exponentially more power it takes to slow it down. Regardless of HDC working or not, you need to know how to safely go down grades without such devices. They dont always work as planned. If the system doesnt seem capable to control vehicle speed on its own, then you need to go that much slower. If that means creeping down, then that is what you do. I know KK owners dont really have stick shift options, but, I prefer manual trannys for going down grades over autos any day.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
ehouli
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Did you leave the gear selector in D, or drop it down to low? Remember the faster your vehicle goes, the exponentially more power it takes to slow it down. Regardless of HDC working or not, you need to know how to safely go down grades without such devices. They dont always work as planned. If the system doesnt seem capable to control vehicle speed on its own, then you need to go that much slower. If that means creeping down, then that is what you do. I know KK owners dont really have stick shift options, but, I prefer manual trannys for going down grades over autos any day.
I'd never go downhill on D, of course I did use 1st gear to begin the descent. Yesterday I did on purpose begin at 0 mph and let it go slowly, what happens is that it holds well between 1000 and 2000 RPM, after 2000 RPM it just slips away and goes up to 5,000 rpm and almost 15mph which is too fast for a high grade slope downhill.

This is not my first 4x4, I've had 3 with auto transmissions and one manua transmission, and none of them gave a hard time.
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

How much braking effort are you using to maintain a safe speed? Even with jake brakes on big trucks, we have to use air brakes to maintain speed control going down grades. The key is to not rely totally on the engine itself.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The HDC can only do so much and the 42RLE trans sucks with it's very high 1st gear ratio.

Either reagear with lower gears or scrape the OEM t-case with one with at least 4:1 low range.Adding the Rubicrawler to your KK might work also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.