4WD Auto - Knocking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 4WD Auto - Knocking

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
ChippyKK10
2010 KK Liberty 

4WD Auto - Knocking

Hi Guys, I have not made much use of the 4wd functions on my Cherokee, but during a very heavy rain storm yesterday, decided to engage 4WD - high (Auto) for added safety on the flooded highway. After a few Km i noticed a light knocking from the front right wheel when i braked. this happened a few times until i disengaged 4WD. then the noise had completely gone. Most of the workshops here are closing now so i wondered if any-one else has had this problem and what the cause was?? I suspect it could be a CV joint in the right front, or something to do with the front drive shaft. Or was it just because there was not enough slip on the front wheels and the T/f box was starting to wind up??? Any Help will be a big help becaus I think I can see quite a few dollars going out of the door here!!

ChippyKK10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChippyKK10 View Post
Hi Guys, I have not made much use of the 4wd functions on my Cherokee, but during a very heavy rain storm yesterday, decided to engage 4WD - high (Auto) for added safety on the flooded highway. After a few Km i noticed a light knocking from the front right wheel when i braked. this happened a few times until i disengaged 4WD. then the noise had completely gone. Most of the workshops here are closing now so i wondered if any-one else has had this problem and what the cause was?? I suspect it could be a CV joint in the right front, or something to do with the front drive shaft. Or was it just because there was not enough slip on the front wheels and the T/f box was starting to wind up??? Any Help will be a big help becaus I think I can see quite a few dollars going out of the door here!!
4WD should only be used in ice, snow, mud and loose gravel. You were probably getting binding issues
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
AtTheHelm

If your shifter says, '4wd auto' and not '4wd lock' then you have the selec trac tcase and your fine driving on all surfaces with 4wd engaged. With the command trac t case (part time 4wd) you cannot drive on traction surfaces with 4wd engaged.

Your symptoms sound like a cv issue.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #4
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

@AtTheHelm is correct in the description of the two systems. I too have Selec-Trac and you can engage 4wd on any surface.

@ChippyKK10, how many miles/KM's does your Cherokee have? Do you feel any vibration when driving? At what speed? Just sounds alone can point to many things. What do you feel when you drive it? A clunk or knocking sound under braking can be the CV joint. It can also be something in the suspension like a tie rod end, ball joint, or bushing. Best thing to do right away is put it up in the air and check all the suspension parts. Grab the wheel and tire assembly and check for play forward and back and up and down. If you can move it, you need to look at what suspension part is worn out.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
ChippyKK10
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks Guys, I do have the selectrac 11 box and the shifter does say "4WD Auto" As I mentioned the "clunking" only came on during braking. The suspension was all checked around 1500km ago as I had new wheels fitted and insisted on all suspension being checked then. So, yes I tend to agree that it seems to be a drive shaft universal (CV) which I will have to have replaced in the new year now. Thanks again!!

By-the-way, I have 104000km on the clock at the moment and the ride is VERY smooth, no vibrations, shakes, noises or anything else. As i mentioned this "clunking" only showed up when the 4WD Auto was engaged and when braking. There are absolutely no sounds grumps or groans when braking in 2WD.
ChippyKK10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
ChippyKK10
2010 KK Liberty 

Hi Guys, an update on my "clunking" I have consulted all that I thought might know or help, but to no avail. My local dealer was very keen to just about strip every part of my transmission to "Help" find the problem, I told him where to go. I soke to an old friend of mine who checked the jeep over with his diagnostic computer and found nothing. He then proceeded to ask when i last used 4WD low which i had not done for ages - he then started the jeep, put her in nutral, engaged 4WD low, then engaged "D" - there was a substantial "clunk" from the front right, he then drove forward a few meters, engaged reverse, drove back a few meters and said try that. Hey Presto my knocking problem / clunking was GONE.... He said it could have been the front right hub that had not disengaged properly since it was last used and was knocking while in 4WD "Auto", anyway problem solved for any of you who may develop the same problem or who know someone who has it!! here is the FIX.
jeep-bonnet.1.jpg

Unread 02-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Problem with that is the "hubs " do not engage or disengage. Older vehicles with locking hubs then yes that could possibly happen.
Everything in the front diff turns all of the time. Just when you put in 4 hi or 4 lo it locks the front and rear together.
Unread 02-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
ChippyKK10
2010 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the info tommud.. I am not sure exactly what happened during the excercise, all I know is that it worked. i have tried using the 4WD Auto on a few occasions since "the fix' and have not had the knocking occur again. All runs smooth and quiet in all drives.
Unread 02-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #9
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChippyKK10
Thanks for the info tommud.. I am not sure exactly what happened during the excercise, all I know is that it worked. i have tried using the 4WD Auto on a few occasions since "the fix' and have not had the knocking occur again. All runs smooth and quiet in all drives.
Awesome glad everything worked out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.