40k Maintenance + Other regular maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 40k Maintenance + Other regular maintenance

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Shocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-22-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

40k Maintenance + Other regular maintenance

Approaching 40k miles and wondering if there is any maintenance work recommended around this area (ie. diff fluids, power steering fluids, spark plugs, etc). Just replaced my spark plugs and engine air filter.

Do you strictly follow the owner's manual? Do additional maintenance? Less? What do you all do in regards to maintenance work?

dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I've been following the service manual for the most part.
Been doing the front and rear differential at 20K intervals. I did the transfer case at 50K, and transmission fluid at 50K.
Replace PCV now if you haven't done that yet ($20).
Definitely replace the spark plugs with copper core spark plugs and gap them to the correct gas as the manual says.
Would also be a good time to clean your throttle body.
I also changed my power steering fluid around 50K miles.
All of this maintenance can be done by yourself except the transmission.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

How critical are these replacements? For example, the auto trans fluid doesn't say to change until 128k and just to inspect/change if being used to tow, taxi, etc. Same scenario for the axle/tv fluids in the manual. Not trying to say you're wrong or anything, I'm just curious if it really should be replaced this often or if it's more just preventative measures. I don't do any water fording/trail runs - only roads/highways.
Unread 07-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

The most crucial one is the spark plugs.
Other ones are pretty important if you want your Jeep to last a long time these other things will always help.
Lots of different information going around about the transmission fluid. I'd say that's the next important thing at 50K.
All maintenance items mentioned will only help your Jeep last longer. They are cheap and easy to do yourself with very basic tools and pretty much just the cost of oil.
Unread 07-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
The most crucial one is the spark plugs.
Other ones are pretty important if you want your Jeep to last a long time these other things will always help.
Lots of different information going around about the transmission fluid. I'd say that's the next important thing at 50K.
All maintenance items mentioned will only help your Jeep last longer. They are cheap and easy to do yourself with very basic tools and pretty much just the cost of oil.
How much does transfer case and diff fluid usually cost? Also, where did you find replacement pcv valve? Looking on autozones site, it doesn't show any that fit.
Unread 07-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Transfer case fluid is ATF+4 which is about 5 bucks a quart. The differential oil (gear oil) varies in price where you get it. About 10 bucks each. The front diff is easy, drain and replace, the transfer case is easy, drain and replace, the rear diff is the "hard" one that anyone can do.
Excellent way to save money.
EDIT-Got the PCV from the dealership for $20.
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Great, I'll pick up some stuff and hopefully get to it this weekend. What do you do with the old fluids/oil? I'm guessing just drain into an oil pan, but then where do you dispose of it?
Unread 07-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #8
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

I would suggest that any fluids that REQUIRE replacement in your maintenance book should be done by your dealer to maintain proof of maintenance in case of breakdown later on.You can replace yourself anything that is not recommended NOW or that does affect powertrain warranty ex: air filter,spark plugs etc.
MY 2 cents worth
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbingle View Post
Great, I'll pick up some stuff and hopefully get to it this weekend. What do you do with the old fluids/oil? I'm guessing just drain into an oil pan, but then where do you dispose of it?
There's a Napa up the road from me that takes it free of charge. I just call ahead each time so they know I'm on my way.
Gear oil smells REALLY bad. Your significant other and people in your family will tell you that you smell bad if you spill any.
Unread 07-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #10
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65 View Post
I would suggest that any fluids that REQUIRE replacement in your maintenance book should be done by your dealer to maintain proof of maintenance in case of breakdown later on.You can replace yourself anything that is not recommended NOW or that does affect powertrain warranty ex: air filter,spark plugs etc.
MY 2 cents worth
Well, the manual only says only says inspect gear oil and replace if necessary. Same thing with transfer case fluid. Trans fluid is not until 120k. For all of the fluids, it says "change if used for police, taxi, etc" in the earlier life of the vehicle. PCV valve is like 88k miles and also says inspect and replace as necessary. So from what you said, there's no problem with doing these things (except the trans fluid, which the dealer has to do). On another note, what basic maintenance tasks fall under the category that could affect powertrain warranty?
Unread 07-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #11
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

All of the maintenance on the KK is simple.
I can't think of any other maintenance items. Check your cabin air filter if yours is equipped.
You can check hub bearings and your cv axle boots for any rips or leaks. Also clean your throttle body.
Unread 07-31-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Engine oïl changes done regularly at the proper intervals is the most crucial maintenance to do. Make sure you have it documented.
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65 View Post
Engine oïl changes done regularly at the proper intervals is the most crucial maintenance to do. Make sure you have it documented.
Been done every 3-3.5k miles. How do you document your maintenance log. Just write it down? If you have it done somewhere, you can keep the receipt as proof, but what do you do if you do maintenance yourself?
Unread 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #14
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

If you do the maintenance yourself keep a log of when and at what millage and keep the receipts for the purchase of oils and filters etc.
In simple words COVER YOUR ***
Unread 07-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Starting maintenance log now. Luckily most of my oil change and parts receipt are lying around somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.