4 wheel drive question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 4 wheel drive question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
JeepJeepx
2011 KK Liberty 

4 wheel drive question

This is probably a stupid question..but how do I put my Liberty in 4 wheel drive?
Like do I have to be driving or stopped or what?

JeepJeepx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
kensil
2012 WK 

There are two types of 4WD systems in the Liberty KK - each with a “normal” range (LOCK or AUTO) and a LOW range. In either case, shifts between 2WD and “normal” 4WD LOCK or AUTO can be done with the vehicle stopped or in motion. Shifts to the LOW range are more complicated and require the vehicle to be moving very slowly (3-5 mph) and the transmission to be placed in neutral before the shift. There are important differences between the two types of 4WD systems (Command-Trac II and Selec-Trac II). Command-Trac locks the drive system, which causes extra stress to the drive train when driving on dry pavement. Slec-Trac does not lock the drive system and can be used on any road conditions. Refer to the owner’s manual for more information.
kensil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
HMNG-Liberty
2012 KK Liberty 

here's a video for select trac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-tZtHVzJEI
HMNG-Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
atwrk
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeepx View Post
This is probably a stupid question..but how do I put my Liberty in 4 wheel drive?
Like do I have to be driving or stopped or what?
LOL Glad you asked! I didn't dare I didn't really know what to do also. I always thought you had to be driving under 40 mph to put it in 4x4 mode high.

Good video, thanks!
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Libertys didn't come with a paper manual but a DVD, in which there is an excellent explanation of the 4wd operation on there. I have the command track on my jeep. Only time I used my 4wd on the road was when there about 2 inches or more of snow on it uncleared or offroad on the beach.
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Use is easy. For 4-Lock/Auto put the transmission in neutral while your driving and flip the switch. Then put it in gear and continue driving.

For 4-Low, slow down to under 4mph or stop, put the transmission in neutral, flip the switch, wait for all the lights to stop blinking (you should feel a very slight motion in the front end when it kicks in) then put it in gear and continue driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensil
There are two types of 4WD systems in the Liberty KK - each with a “normal” range (LOCK or AUTO) and a LOW range. In either case, shifts between 2WD and “normal” 4WD LOCK or AUTO can be done with the vehicle stopped or in motion. Shifts to the LOW range are more complicated and require the vehicle to be moving very slowly (3-5 mph) and the transmission to be placed in neutral before the shift. There are important differences between the two types of 4WD systems (Command-Trac II and Selec-Trac II). Command-Trac locks the drive system, which causes extra stress to the drive train when driving on dry pavement. Slec-Trac does not lock the drive system and can be used on any road conditions. Refer to the owner’s manual for more information.
This is not entirely accurate. Neither command trac or select trac should be driven on pavement in 4-LOW. The difference is only in high (lock or auto).

Something else to note: when shifting to 4-LOW it works much better and makes much less noise to do it from a full stop. Also, more importantly when driving in 4-LOW in both systems the maximum speed you should drive is 25 MPH.

Where the two functions differ a little more drastically is in 4-Lock or 4-Auto. If you have command trac ii (4-lock) you should only use it in areas where you have low traction. If you have select trac ii (4-auto) you can use it anywhere.
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
mjcougler
2008 KK Liberty 

I live in upstate NY. When I pull out onto my snow covered street and begin accelerating I simply slide the electronic switch into 4-wheel drive. Sometimes I think to let up on the gas, but often I don't.

Also, as long as there is snow or wet slush on the streets, I leave it in 4-wheel. Sometimes I drive to the right of the tire tracks where there is slightly more snow or wet slush. Then, when the road is more damp than wet slush I side the switch back to 2-wheel drive. I also try to never make tight turns at corners when driving on wet slush.

Am I doing damage?
mjcougler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I think you are fine. Your decision making process is the same procedure I use when I drive in slushy wintery mess. If the roads are just plain wet, I am in 2WD. And you only need to be in neutral when switching to 4-LOW.
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Post removed.
Unread 03-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
MyJKU14
2014 JK Wrangler 

Used my 4wd yesterday with about 4" snow on the roads. We got about 12" total and it handled great. The key is knowing what your system is and understanding the limitations of the vehicle.
MyJKU14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_Katie
Used my 4wd yesterday with about 4" snow on the roads. We got about 12" total and it handled great. The key is knowing what your system is and understanding the limitations of the vehicle.
What limitations? Mine can fly!

(Ok so I busted an ac condenser, rim, tire, shock, bump stop, corner panel, shifted the cradle back half an inch and knocked my skid plates loose... but I flew!)
Unread 03-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85

What limitations? Mine can fly!

(Ok so I busted an ac condenser, rim, tire, shock, bump stop, corner panel, shifted the cradle back half an inch and knocked my skid plates loose... but I flew!)
Ha ha! Well said.
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.