3.7 to a 4.7 will it work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 3.7 to a 4.7 will it work?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 04-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

3.7 to a 4.7 will it work?

Good Day Everyone,

In July 2010 I purchased my first Jeep, a KK Sport Model, Dk Green and love it. It's a minature "Mack truck" compared to the other grocery getters out there lol. Between the flooding, snow storms, potholes and soon will be off roading (serf fishing on the beach) I can't wait. And I have plans for it later on, below is just a brain storm.

In my younger days had done some hot rodding, but was wondering if anyone attempted of replacing the 3.7 with a 4.7. I read somewhere that 4.7 is only about 54lbs heavier then 3.7 but produces much more torque and hp. Furthermore, 3.7 is related to 4.7 just 2 less pistons. What do you all think would it work? Would it be worth it?

Thanks and Happy Jeeping!

Ponch

jeffs-picks-063.jpg

Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

How deep is your pocket book?

Actually putting it in is not the big issue,though you will need a new trans,t-case,F/R driveshafts,and custom radiator.The biggest issue is the electronics and getting everything to work right.It's not the '70's anymore where engine swaps were easy since no computers back in those days.Then if you got local inspections and/or emissions it get's real fun as you must use the same year engine as the body it's going in(your KK) or newer and maintain all emission stuff for that engine(not your KK but from the vehcile the engine came out of) and most places require it to be certified by a inspector if emission testing is required.
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

^ What he said.

If you want to put a 4.7L in a Liberty, you are better off with a 2002 or 2003 Liberty with the 45RFE transmission. It's also lighter and smaller. It is thought that because of the electronic similarities, those will work the best. Plus, no transmission swap necessary.
Unread 04-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I was just brain storming because I was thinking about the current Jeep Commander, which I beleive had 3 engines 3.7, 4.7 and 5.7 and thought maybe some swaps could go on there, but yes computers do complicate things. Anyways, since it is still new I just want enjoy it, as things wear out, I'll upgrade. I think I forsee a nice black wrap around brush guard to hold my serf rods lol

I just thank you fellas for your input :]
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.