2012 Liberty and Travel Trailers? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 Liberty and Travel Trailers?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #46
scorpionarmor55
2010 KK Liberty 

Starting my 1100 mile move to Florida. Just got her weighed and well within limits

image-1492053500.jpg  
scorpionarmor55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #47
Paws4It

How much weight are you pulling?
Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Paws4It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #48
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Generally speaking, the limits are put in place not for what a vehicle can pull, but rather what a vehicle can safely stop. I am an avid RV guy and believe it or not most travel trailers are pulled overloaded. Do your research, but the two main weights are your total pull weight and your bumper weight. Your weight can be made safer through using swaybars and a stabilized load and also using electric brakes. But there is no excuse in exceeding the weights. Also, take your time. After determining that all is safe and your equipment is working properly, then take a short pull and check hubs and brakes for excessive heating and operation. Nothing worse than seeing a guy's rig burning to the ground on the side of the interstate (I have).
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #49
Paws4It

Yes, that is what took so long to find a TT that can be safely pulled. The one I'm getting is 2500 lbs so we are good to go! It was a trick to find what we wanted in a TT, the price and weight all in one.
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #50
scorpionarmor55
2010 KK Liberty 

My total weight was about 3000lbs. Felt pretty solid but these mountains are killing my mpgs but I knew it was coming. At beginning of trip 20mpg now 17-18 tow mode on.
scorpionarmor55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #51
Paws4It

Ug! I hate the gas milage the Jeep gets. I think they could have done better on that part.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #52
Paws4It

We picked up our little camper today and was getting 14mpg coming home! The camper weighs 2500.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #53
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws4It View Post
We picked up our little camper today and was getting 14mpg coming home! The camper weighs 2500.
Like!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #54
mswebb

Just on the process of hauling a 4' by 8' uhaul from Utah to Ontario Canada. The trailer is pretty loaded and probably at it's weight limit. The jeep pulls fine and stops fine even in the mountains. The issue I'm having is with the variable pull on the jeep as we take bumps and road surface dips, the speed sensors on the transmission are getting confused. The ESC and traction control are shutting themselves off and all of the 4WD lights are on (the jeep is still running 2WD). Stopped early the first day and a mechanic said it was sapped sensors but didn't have any. Next morning a different mechanic said it was moisture in the transfer case and cleaned it out. Lights all good until the last 70 miles of the day. The next morning the lights all off but back on about 30 miles into drive. Next morning lights alternating between off and on for a while then on for several hundred miles. One more day of driving to go then only short (3 hour) hauls for a few days then no real hauling. Hoping that the sensors stop behaving this way once the jeep isn't under such a load (seems to be the case as I took a couple of drives without the trailer during this trip). Interestingly I have. 2006 Toyota highlander hybrid that has made this trip 6 times now (totaling over 12,000 miles) with a larger, heavier trailer and has not had a single issue.
image-1001327097.jpg  
mswebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #55
Paws4It

There is something off with that, mswebb! I sure hope you can get the answers you need. I'll be watching, too. Someone here will know more, I hope!
Unread 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #56
TJ's02TJ
2012 KK Liberty 

Paws4It which camper did you end up getting. I am in the process of searching for a smaller one. The one we used to pull with our truck is to large to be safely pulled with the Jeep.

Gone but not forgotten. '02 TJ 4cyl. 2" Skyjacker Spacer Lift 31" General Grabber AT 2.
TJ's02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #57
Paws4It

Hi TJ! I got an Avenger 16ft. It is from Forest River called, Prime-time. Check it out. We are going to make the bed permanent, and then there is still space to sit on the bench seats to sit. It's perfect for us two and pets.
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #58
mswebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws4It View Post
There is something off with that, mswebb! I sure hope you can get the answers you need. I'll be watching, too. Someone here will know more, I hope!
My trusted mechanic found it to be the transfer case position sensor. He suggested that I take it to a jeep dealer for repair but then it fixed itself. Will revisit when the lights go again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #59
Paws4It

mswebb, how do you know it fixed itself? My sister has a newer jeep that wont start always. The Jeep place cannot find anything wrong with it. It really makes you nervous if you will get broke down somewhere. I hope your's is fixed now!
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #60
mswebb

Just finishing at the dealership now. Had the daytime running lights turned on and they programmed the computer to realize there is a towing package installed. The towing program should keep the systems from freaking out with the variable pulls and sways from the trailer.

Will let you all know if this fixes the issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.