2012 Liberty and Travel Trailers? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 Liberty and Travel Trailers?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #31
Paws4It

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappyfisherman View Post
First off...the Rockwood will have brakes on it since the trailer is over 3000#'s...you WILL need a brake controller in the Jeep...look at Prodigy...it is best (IMO) out there for the money...I towed 10's of thousands of miles pulling a 9000# TT all over the country with the Prodigy...great brake controller.

As far as the TT you are looking at having a mid 3000's dry weight and a 200# tongue weight...see my lengthy post above about having your loaded tongue weight in the 12-13% range...those numbers of 3000/200 are horrible!

The only way to know is to go to a scale and get weighed...it is painless and inexpensive...and that's the only way you will get fully loaded weight of the TT to be able to use the bathroom scale approach to tweak tongue weight.

As far as "can you do it"...the answer to that is in the numbers...load up the TT and hit the scale and weigh both your TT AND your KK...note the math I provided above about looking at ALL the numbers and not just the ones you like...examine the GVWR of the KK after you load up your familly and gear, examine the REAR GAWR once you are hooked up to the TT...remember the "Max" tow rating you are quoting of 5000#'s is with a CURB weighted KK and a single 150# driver...that number goes down for EACH and EVERY pound your KK weighs over CURB including people and gear and options you have inside the KK.

As far as sway control...definitely...I'd look at the Equal-I-zer BRAND hitch which has WD AND Sway control in one hitch...definitely worth the money to help off set the wheelbase DISadvantage you are under with the shorter wheelbase of the KK for hauling longer trailers...even ones that will weigh low 4000's once you load it up which doesn't sound like a lot...but your KK weighs 4000's too...so it is an equal match and the trick is to keep the balance of control with the KK and not have it shift to the TT...you do that through PROPER weight distribution and loading and the only way to know for sure...is at a CAT scale...

Good luck,
Joe.
Thank you so much, Joe, for your patience with this uneducated gal. I really do appreciate all the time you put into helping me. I am paying attention.

Paws4It is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #32
Paws4It

Still no TT. Still looking. Seems the ones lite enough are so expensive. You can get cheaper ones any day of the week but they are the heavier ones. I hear talk of the rv shows in the end of Jan. Will there be deals there or will there be all the new rv's and therefore high dollar?
I hope you all enjoy your holidays. Happy Thanksgiving!
Unread 02-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #33
Paws4It

Ok, we are ready to buy! Hubby has decided on the Vibe 6502. He thinks it is the best choice for the 2012 Liberty. It's narrow and light weight. Any ideas/thoughts? We still have to have the parking brake put on.
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #34
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Forest River makes great stuff. I want an Rpod but can't justify it, would only get used a few times a year. Gonna just rent one.
I'm getting a Prodigy brake controller, it'll fit in the little cubby left of the steering wheel.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #35
Paws4It

Hi Benjammin. Well we went to the RV show and no Vibe. the closest one is almost 250 mi away. Now what! I am about sick of looking.
Where do you look to see about renting one?
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #36
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Fortunately there is a place just down the road from office that rents the Rpod
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
Paws4It

That's good. Is it expensive or like renting a car?
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #38
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

$109/night.
I can afford a lot of rentals before justifying a purchase. I'm hoping to rent one at least twice a year for 3 or 4 nights each. I'm a historical tent camper, my wife is a BnB girl. RVing is somewhat of a compromise.
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #39
Paws4It

I am not getting notice of replies, even though I have it turned on..dont know why.

Well, for me it is my hubby wanting to travel. He looks at it like a bedroom on wheels. He only wants to stop long enough to get a good rest so he can drive drive drive.

Did you see the 2014 Jeep? The Liberty/Spirit? 0_o
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #40
Paws4It

Quote:
Originally Posted by _benjammin View Post
$109/night.
I can afford a lot of rentals before justifying a purchase. I'm hoping to rent one at least twice a year for 3 or 4 nights each. I'm a historical tent camper, my wife is a BnB girl. RVing is somewhat of a compromise.

You know if your wife is a BnB girl, you better get a nice rv.. With the weight limit we can haul, that is kinda difficult!
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #41
Paws4It

I'm bumping this up again, wanting to know if anyone with the new Liberty's pulls a travel trailer. I really want to know what it will do, not what the book says. I am wanting someone that is doing it.... please!
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #42
Paws4It

Ok, I think we found 'it'. It's a little 16 ft avenger. 2600 lbs. Just a bedroom on wheels, and that's what we need.
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #43
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Just be careful. Weight adds quickly! Every single chair or comforter or drop of water, food etc. And the weight will roll onto your trailer!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #44
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws4It
I'm bumping this up again, wanting to know if anyone with the new Liberty's pulls a travel trailer. I really want to know what it will do, not what the book says. I am wanting someone that is doing it.... please!
The Liberty will only pull what "the book" says, do not try and overload your SUV or trailer.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #45
Paws4It

Naw, the book says the Jeep will pull 5500 so we are way under. That's why I wanted opinions as to what it will pull...comfortably. We didn't want to get close to what the book said.
Thanks guys.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.