2012 Liberty and Travel Trailers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 Liberty and Travel Trailers?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 08-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Paws4It

2012 Liberty and Travel Trailers?

Hello. I have a 2012 Liberty with a tow package. I want to know if anyone has experience with towing travel trailers, and if it tows well.
Thanks in advance.

Paws4It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
TheMill

Here is a YouTube link to some one towing 4,000 lbs with a 2008 Liberty.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Sent from my iPhone
TheMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
TheMill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMill
Here is a YouTube link to some one towing 4,000 lbs with a 2008 Liberty.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXvK6vBLBm0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my iPhone
It's a 2009 and anther video link of the same guy. Not sure if it helps much, I just found it kind of interesting.

Sent from my iPhone
Unread 09-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
stv9000
2011 KK Liberty 

2.7 Liter? did I hear that right? With the "tow/haul" on the shift points change to a higher rpm (not like this guy, no need to mash the gas like that) and will keep the transmission from going into lock-up.
stv9000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
TheMill

I'm pretty sure it's a 3.7 l
Unread 09-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
TheMill

The guy was pretty hard on it, flooring it like that.
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

^ Yeah, you may need to punch it up to about 65 not 80 lol. Granted it's not Hemi, but it moved pretty well
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Paws4It

Awww I didnt think anyone answered back...sorry guys! Ok, I'll go check out the video now. Thank you all!
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Paws4It

Mine is a 6.. what's a 3.7? I agree, that guy was hard on his Jeep. I am getting all kinds of different opinions on if it will pull it, if it will stop it.. if it will be thrown all over the road.. etc etc. I know it would have to be a light weight travel trailer. That's about all I know.
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #10
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

The 3.7 is the size of the V6 engine in the Liberty. The Liberty is very capable as far as towing is concerned. Just drive smart. Driving with a trailer is very different than driving without one. Learn to use your mirrors and be aware of what's behind you, beside you, and in front of you. Not only do you have two masses to move but you have two masses to stop. Have fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
eoerikson3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Paws4It

Thanks for that eoerikson3! Do you speak from experience? Here is what I'm getting from the oposite opinion;

"The weight of the Jeep is not included in the 4,000 lb. towing capacity rating. My point was that you would be towing a weight larger that the weight of the Jeep and the Jeep was not designed to pull and stop and turn that much additional weight (in my opinion & experience) "

You can see why I am so concerned. The trailer we are looking at is about 3000 lbs. I know I sure dont want to tear my Jeep up!
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

My Jeep hasn't done any recreational towing yet. I have only towed patio blocks, sand, gravel, and mulch for various home improvement projects my fiancée has me doing. I think she's trying to kill me. LOL. The Liberty did not struggle. There is plenty of torque to handle it. I am actually looking forward to some R&R towing soon. We only have a small pop up but it suits us. the biggest part of towing is driving smart. A travel trailer should be fine. You could confirm specs at dealerships for Jeep and RVs.

Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
eoerikson3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Like everyone else said. Be smart when your towing. The guy in that video is just complete Moron. Does not know anything he he talkin about. First of he doesn't even know what's under his good, second he is saying he isn't even in "tow mode" yet it is illuminated on his dash panel. Third...perhaps it is just me but that did not look like a 20ft trailer with 4k worth of equip and lastly, he is gonna destroy that truck. He was practically red lining it at every shift.

Be smart...be safe! I pulled a 17ft speed boat probably total 3500-4000lbs and towed like a dream (aftermarket hitch and no to package). Pulled very smoothly.

Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
Paws4It

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoerikson3 View Post
My Jeep hasn't done any recreational towing yet. I have only towed patio blocks, sand, gravel, and mulch for various home improvement projects my fiancée has me doing. I think she's trying to kill me. LOL. The Liberty did not struggle. There is plenty of torque to handle it. I am actually looking forward to some R&R towing soon. We only have a small pop up but it suits us. the biggest part of towing is driving smart. A travel trailer should be fine. You could confirm specs at dealerships for Jeep and RVs.

That's what I was wondering, so that suits me! Nice looking Jeep you have too, btw.
Thanks again.
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
Paws4It

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575 View Post
Like everyone else said. Be smart when your towing. The guy in that video is just complete Moron. Does not know anything he he talkin about. First of he doesn't even know what's under his good, second he is saying he isn't even in "tow mode" yet it is illuminated on his dash panel. Third...perhaps it is just me but that did not look like a 20ft trailer with 4k worth of equip and lastly, he is gonna destroy that truck. He was practically red lining it at every shift.

Be smart...be safe! I pulled a 17ft speed boat probably total 3500-4000lbs and towed like a dream (aftermarket hitch and no to package). Pulled very smoothly.

That's great news! That's all we're looking to tow is about those weights too!
I agree that guy in the vid is going to tear his Jeep up... shame too.
Thanks for your input! You have a good looking Jeep too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.