2012 liberty issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 liberty issues

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #1
GreenGrenade
1995 XJ Cherokee 

2012 liberty issues

Whats up yall. Ive been outta the jeep scene for a while now, but my whole family has owned jeeps since i was young, i had a 95 xj with 4.0/aw4, my mom had a 97 xj 4.0/aw4, and my dad has a 95 yj with the 2.5/ax5. All 3 of these are rock solid reliable drivetrains. My mom recently traded in her 97 for a 2012 liberty. Me and my dad feel like the quality is, to put it lightly, very poor and leaves a lot to be desired. Numerous switches and sensors have gone out already, the tires are already worn out and have an uneven wear pattern, this seems crazy after 36,000 miles. The transmission seems to "slip" taking off on a hill and has a slight shake. And the throttle response is god awfully slow. My buddy is a mechanic at the local jeep dealer and he, as well as other mechanics have noticed a quality drop in the last few years. Are these common issues? This is supposed to be a jeep man!!! This is so dissapointing

GreenGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like the original owner abused the KK severely and traded it off when issues started.Common practice these days for most since they are to cheap to actually take care of there vehicle,they'd rather neglect them for 2-3 years and unload them on a new vehicle and start all over again.

As far as tires the OE tires only last about 30k-40k at most so no surprise there and alignment needs to be checked and set if needed at least once a year.
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #3
GreenGrenade
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The vehicle was pretty spotless and they had a maintenance record at the dealership. Just seems the quality isnt there
GreenGrenade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was really happy with the quality of my 2012. Especially since the sticker price was about the same as my 1999 XJ.

What is the build date on yours? It should say on the tire sticker in the door jamb.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

i am on the sam boat
i had my zj for 12 years, dont think i am keeping the kk for two more

got the kk with 40m miles and now have 56k. this is what i had to change so far
-a/c ompressor
-2 power steering racks
-power sterring pump
-timp (total integrated module)
-a sensor went bad and had to two the car to the dealer
-front output dive shaft
-transfer case front grease seal
-purge valve fault two times

plus the gas millage sucks........i was making the same on my zj with a v8, 33" mud tires.

but it is a fun car, people love it on the street. i don't regret 100% getting the kk but have to agree that is not a quality built jeep.
most likely will trade it for a jk and game over.....

and this is my kk

carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

get used to the throttle response. it is managed by the computer.
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

My 2012 KK has been flawless. Knock on wood, nothing has gone wrong in 50k miles besides regular maint.
Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Hey Carlos,

You have one of the sweetest Libs I've seen. I gave had issues with mine, the big issue the rear crank seal leaking twice, power steering pump, idle arm pulley and water pump replaced due to bad bearings and the fuel tank replaced because of fuel burp issue.

Happily, when I called Chrysler corp they extended my warranty 2 more years with unlimited mileage on my power train.

Anyway Chrysler was heavily over managed when they built and designed the Lib IMO so they had to cut corners. But one thing you can't say about the Lib is that the body is very solid.
Unread 07-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

[QUOTE="Poncherello"]Hey Carlos, You have one of the sweetest Libs I've seen. I gave had issues with mine, the big issue the rear crank seal leaking twice, power steering pump, idle arm pulley and water pump replaced due to bad bearings and the fuel tank replaced because of fuel burp issue. Happily, when I called Chrysler corp they extended my warranty 2 more years with unlimited mileage on my power train. Anyway Chrysler was heavily over managed when they built and designed the Lib IMO so they had to cut corners. But one thing you can say- correction about the Lib it's body is very solid.
Unread 07-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello
Hey Carlos, You have one of the sweetest Libs I've seen. I gave had issues with mine, the big issue the rear crank seal leaking twice, power steering pump, idle arm pulley and water pump replaced due to bad bearings and the fuel tank replaced because of fuel burp issue. Happily, when I called Chrysler corp they extended my warranty 2 more years with unlimited mileage on my power train. Anyway Chrysler was heavily over managed when they built and designed the Lib IMO so they had to cut corners. But one thing you can't say about the Lib is that the body is very solid.
Correction - I mean " you can say" the body is very solid

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.