2012 Liberty bogging up hill - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 Liberty bogging up hill

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
ccw3432

2012 Liberty bogging up hill

I have a 2012 Liberty that is experiencing an odd bogging or growling type sound that only happens under very specific conditions. I drove it up from 1000' feet elevation to around 4500' up a windy montain road. During the drive up hill going at about 20-25 mph the engine or drivetrain made a low pitch sound that just dosen't sound right. It's hard to describe. Sounds kind of like bogging down but maybe a litter louder than I would usually associate with that sound. It happened on two occasions now. When I lift my foot off the pedal or press the pedal down further it stops. If I hold the pedal where it is the sound continues.

It rarely happens so its hard to diagnose much furhter until next time I drive it up the hill. It did it on 2 of the 3 trips up this hill.

Any thoughts? We took it to the Jeep dealer and they said there was no probelem with the vehicle. Is this normal?

ccw3432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
pshivers
2008 KK Liberty 

I'll see if I can find it in the service manual, but when you first turn the key to on, the computer figures out the barometric pressure. I don't know if it has the ability to resample once the car is running due to the vacuum created in the intake. Taking the car up to a thinner atmosphere might cause issues with its air/fuel ratio calculation as it would be expecting more air. Try restarting the jeep at the higher elevation.
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
ccw3432

Thanks for the reply. I actually shut it down about half way up the hill both times to stop at a construcition area. I'm not convinced the altitude is issue, but I really don't know. Thought it could be but also wonderning about the gear shifting or engine bogging due to a malfunction in shifting. It almost sounds like a low pitch groan.
ccw3432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
stv9000
2011 KK Liberty 

It may be the transmission not shifting correctly. try putting it in tow.
stv9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.