JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   2012 Liberty Alignment recommendations (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/2012-liberty-alignment-recommendations-1570114/)

Steve40th 09-01-2013 08:13 PM

2012 Liberty Alignment recommendations

I just purchased a used 2012 with Latitude package 4wd etc, 13000 miles. Its alignment is off as the front tires are feathered. Are there specs better than OEM people here recommend?
Or should I just go to Sears, for example and get it done.

Poncherello 09-01-2013 08:17 PM

If you lived in North Jersey, there is a guy that I know that does awesome alignment work. Only thing he won't do is touch aftermarket suspension, even after bribing him with a case of beer lol. Maybe someone on here that lives near you could hook you up

Steve40th 09-01-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poncherello (Post 15861768)
If you lived in North Jersey, there is a guy that I know that does awesome alignment work. Only thing he won't do is touch aftermarket suspension, even after bribing him with a case of beer lol. Maybe someone on here that lives near you could hook you up

Funny, this was a Jersey car...

Poncherello 09-01-2013 09:28 PM

LOL - I bought my mine new and had to get an alignment after about 20K. It may of been from the manufacturer or my GF - I let her drive it on the beach, she thought she was racing the Dakar. Anyways after having it realigned and rotating the tires every oil change; I have almost 60K on the stock tires and they have 1/3 of tread life on them.

Steve40th 09-01-2013 09:31 PM

Thanks Poncherello. I plan on taking it in this week andmhaving tires rotated and getting it aligned. Didnt know the cost, due to 4wd, and whether places have any problems doing these cars.

tommudd 09-02-2013 06:16 AM

Unlifted they should n't have a problem, if they do they are not a good shop anyways
Try Firestone, lots of folks have good luck with them or do like I did, find a good Mom and Pop old school shop and make friends with them. They generally do the best job and will even do lifted ones as well since they're no difference

Steve40th 09-02-2013 06:19 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone

Steve40th 09-02-2013 03:29 PM

Had alignment done. Toe was .44 degrees toe in. Quite a bit. Now it is .09 in. These are totals. So it is at minimum spec for OEM, Which i prefer for less tire wear. Camber is -4 degrees.
Only issue was wheel locks. One was not coming off. So they couldnt rotate tires. I took it home and removed wheel lock. It was stripped. Wierd thing was it had antisiez. What nincompoop puts and liquid on a wheel stud!. Anyways, dodge is giving me a new set of wheel locks and will clean threads on stud as the front few look a little damaged. They said if it is too bad they will replace stud.
I dont have that thread cleaner size, and since it is under warranty...

tjkj2002 09-02-2013 05:22 PM

You should have the alignment checked once a year,every 6 months is best.You'd be suprised how easy teh alignment can be thrown off,more so with IFS and your coils will sag which throws out the front end alignment.I have done many alignments on brand new vehicles,and I mean brand new as in the customer drove it from the dealership to my shop for the lifetime alignment package,and not one has ever been close to being in spec.Just pony over the $180 for the firestone lifetime alignment if there is one close,it's worth it in the long run and can use it as many times as you want on that vehicle.

Steve40th 09-02-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkj2002 (Post 15864589)
You should have the alignment checked once a year,every 6 months is best.You'd be suprised how easy teh alignment can be thrown off,more so with IFS and your coils will sag which throws out the front end alignment.I have done many alignments on brand new vehicles,and I mean brand new as in the customer drove it from the dealership to my shop for the lifetime alignment package,and not one has ever been close to being in spec.Just pony over the $180 for the firestone lifetime alignment if there is one close,it's worth it in the long run and can use it as many times as you want on that vehicle.

I will look at firestone. thanks

JoeyC99 09-03-2013 11:11 PM

So I don't know very much about alignment in general. Every car I've had before my KK I would usually have it checked when I could feel it start to pull in one direction or another. With my KK I check periodically just driving straight in a parking lot and have never had any issue with it pulling either way so haven't thought much of it. It really drives very straight from the day I've bought it, but decided to have it checked the other day since I've had it almost a year now without having it checked. They said it had a tow in of .8 degrees. Now I don't really know how much of a tow in is a LOT, so decided to wait and find out whether or not this is something I should have done right away, or if .8 degrees is pretty minor and I won't have any issues with driving it as is. Any advice is helpful. (OP not trying to jack your thread, just don't like starting new threads if there's one on the subject already active lol).

Steve40th 09-04-2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyC99 (Post 15869654)
So I don't know very much about alignment in general. Every car I've had before my KK I would usually have it checked when I could feel it start to pull in one direction or another. With my KK I check periodically just driving straight in a parking lot and have never had any issue with it pulling either way so haven't thought much of it. It really drives very straight from the day I've bought it, but decided to have it checked the other day since I've had it almost a year now without having it checked. They said it had a tow in of .8 degrees. Now I don't really know how much of a tow in is a LOT, so decided to wait and find out whether or not this is something I should have done right away, or if .8 degrees is pretty minor and I won't have any issues with driving it as is. Any advice is helpful. (OP not trying to jack your thread, just don't like starting new threads if there's one on the subject already active lol).

Well it is a lot of toe in. This will cause the tires to wear much faster. They should show the OEM alignment specs and you will see it is a lot.. Get it aligned.

JoeyC99 09-04-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve40th (Post 15869898)
Well it is a lot of toe in. This will cause the tires to wear much faster. They should show the OEM alignment specs and you will see it is a lot.. Get it aligned.

Awesome, glad I asked. Will get that done this week, thanks Steve.

The time now is 06:04 AM.