2012 liberty 4x4 sport grunting/ griding/ vibrating noise? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 liberty 4x4 sport grunting/ griding/ vibrating noise?

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 12-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #31
wrJeep3r
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dledwards View Post
As I mentioned it is while idling and at low speeds. It is so loud it sounds like a diesel engine...unbelievable... Again this is a brand new Liberty. The shudder,vibration and noise at 50-60 is still there and it sounds like the earlier description in this thread..like riding over a grooved piece of pavement or the flat speed breakers that roar. I keep reading that most of you say that this is just the way it is and that you have accepted it..I don't accept it as normal. I don't think any of you would accept what we are hearing unless you like the sound of a diesel engine. When I test drove one at another dealer I did not hear this ticking nor felt or heard the other issue. We just picked it up and stopped to put gas in it actually sounds louder .. We have recorded it if you would like to hear it please send me your email
I'd like to hear this sound you speak of..... I'm going to go out and see if my KK Jet has this.

wrJeep3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #32
jeepster-d
2009 KK Liberty 

Before you decide to pursue lemon status, you should check the lemon laws according to your state (there should be info in your owners manual too). It's pretty common that for lemon law to apply that the issue must be recurring, it must have taken long periods to repair each time and usually it must also make the vehicle unsafe to drive. There are many qualifiers that vary from state to state but characteristic noise isn't one of them. If the dealers mechanic states the problem is nothing more than noisy injectors - but those injectors are functioning properly - I doubt you'll be able to get it qualified. Same with the mechanical issues you've described, grunting/grinding/vibrating etc while driving at a lower speed. If it truly is a characteristic of the vehicle and doesn't impact drive ability ... you likely won't get the results you're hoping for.

Be aware that once you state to your dealership that you're trying to get the vehicle classified as a lemon, it's very likely that you're going to alienate not only that dealer but you'll not be making friends at any dealer. Everything you come in to have done under warranty will be chalked up to a disgruntled owner and every repair could easily become a confrontation. You'd be better off trying to work with the service manager to determine exactly what the problem is. If the service manager says it's a normal noise, ask them to grab the keys to several other jeeps of the same model/year with the same drive train. Compare the noise in yours to those - if yours is significantly louder then see if you can get him to agree that it's extreme then get him to agree to a time to have it serviced. On the other hand, if the noise from these other vehicles is similar to yours - then it becomes a very unfortunate situation where you're just overly sensitive to that noise. And as I said above, characteristic noise isn't a problem for the dealer or the manufacturer.

Good luck on a good solution to this - whether you get it repaired or replaced.
jeepster-d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #33
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxeddiexp View Post
Hey dledwards. I originally put up this post and have been seeking answers to this problem! I called jeep and Chrysler. They seem to have no clue what I'm talking about. The dealer noticed it and said it hasn't been broken in. They said wait for it to pass 3k miles! Until then to drive slower or faster to avoid that sound!

You're right. It's absolutely insane to accept a NEW jeep to do this and live with it. Lol!

I will do as dealer said for now. Wait till my first oil change as then see. I have a feeling that it won't change. I did look into the lemon law for NYS. I have two years 18k miles or something like that.

Keeps us posted on any solution you find or anything we can do to make keep do a recall or something, anything!!

Merry Xmas. Happy new year. Peace
To kxeddiexp.. I would make sure that you have everything in writing, including your complaint and the dealer's response to your complaint. Get up to three dealership's opinion's and an independant mechnic's statement as well. Document the entire process ...Good luck to you and thanks for starting this thread. I hope you can get it resolved !! I will keep you informed as to what happens with us. Thank you
dledwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #34
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxeddiexp View Post
Hey dledwards. I originally put up this post and have been seeking answers to this problem! I called jeep and Chrysler. They seem to have no clue what I'm talking about. The dealer noticed it and said it hasn't been broken in. They said wait for it to pass 3k miles! Until then to drive slower or faster to avoid that sound!

You're right. It's absolutely insane to accept a NEW jeep to do this and live with it. Lol!

I will do as dealer said for now. Wait till my first oil change as then see. I have a feeling that it won't change. I did look into the lemon law for NYS. I have two years 18k miles or something like that.

Keeps us posted on any solution you find or anything we can do to make keep do a recall or something, anything!!

Merry Xmas. Happy new year. Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster-d View Post
Before you decide to pursue lemon status, you should check the lemon laws according to your state (there should be info in your owners manual too). It's pretty common that for lemon law to apply that the issue must be recurring, it must have taken long periods to repair each time and usually it must also make the vehicle unsafe to drive. There are many qualifiers that vary from state to state but characteristic noise isn't one of them. If the dealers mechanic states the problem is nothing more than noisy injectors - but those injectors are functioning properly - I doubt you'll be able to get it qualified. Same with the mechanical issues you've described, grunting/grinding/vibrating etc while driving at a lower speed. If it truly is a characteristic of the vehicle and doesn't impact drive ability ... you likely won't get the results you're hoping for.

Be aware that once you state to your dealership that you're trying to get the vehicle classified as a lemon, it's very likely that you're going to alienate not only that dealer but you'll not be making friends at any dealer. Everything you come in to have done under warranty will be chalked up to a disgruntled owner and every repair could easily become a confrontation. You'd be better off trying to work with the service manager to determine exactly what the problem is. If the service manager says it's a normal noise, ask them to grab the keys to several other jeeps of the same model/year with the same drive train. Compare the noise in yours to those - if yours is significantly louder then see if you can get him to agree that it's extreme then get him to agree to a time to have it serviced. On the other hand, if the noise from these other vehicles is similar to yours - then it becomes a very unfortunate situation where you're just overly sensitive to that noise. And as I said above, characteristic noise isn't a problem for the dealer or the manufacturer.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions...Last Friday, the Chrysler Jeep Case manager stated that she was turning the case over to the Lemon Law group. We hope that it will get resolved in Chrysler's Lemon Law group, but there are no guarantee's.
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #35
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppro
I cleared out my inbox and got the email. That is loud. Almost sounds like a bad exhaust leak.
Hmm there is a leak under the muffler
Unread 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM   #36
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster-d View Post

Do you work for Chrysler?
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #37
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Signing off .. Good luck to everyone !!
Unread 12-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #38
jeepster-d
2009 KK Liberty 

Absolutely not. I work in the auto aftermarket industry - I'm a production/data programmer but sometimes I get the line on some behind the scenes type of stuff.

When it comes to lemon status for vehicles - no manufacturer wants that to happen. Lemon status becomes a title flag that remains for the life of the vehicle, no amount of work or repair on the vehicle will change that status. A manufacturer that allows a vehicle to become tagged lemon means they basically are eating the price of that vehicle, plus they typically have to replace that car which means all profit for the replacement vehicle is gone. Add to that the personal time by employees that process and handle tagged cars. Dealerships may also end up paying a penalty of sorts because that's 2 cars that dealership won't get credit for selling - lost profits for the dealership too. It's a nasty mess that no one wants to have. I understand that most manufacturers would avoid it at almost any cost. Each mfgr may handle these procedures differently but what must be adhered to isn't a manufacturer's set of requirements - it's defined by state law. And each manufacturer will stick to the requirements as defined by law.

In my comments, I was just trying to say don't expect much. I could be way wrong - ... you know the saying " ... hope for the best - but be prepared for the worst ..."

Good luck - and keep us posted on progress.
jeepster-d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2011, 04:19 AM   #39
Ridejumpfly

On my brand new 2011 70th anv liberty limited 4x4 I hear a rhythmic thumping like you describe only between 60-70mph range. Dealer can't track it down yet. I told them I would see if it works itself out and would have them take it for a day or more if it is still doing it when I bring it back for the first oil change. The ticking noise I see alot of complaints about I have as well but I consider that to just be normal in this engine. It doesn't bother me.
Ridejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #40
TMD78

My 2 week old renegade edition does it too but I don't know if I'd have noticed it had I not read about it here first. Now I can't help but notice it. At least it appears to be common and/or normal.
TMD78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #41
terryj
2011 KK Liberty 

On our 2011 Liberty we had the same problems mentioned in these post, at about 3000 miles the check engine light came on, took it back to the dealer. The dealer said it need a PCM flash upgrade, after they flashed the PCM, the viberation quit and the ticking noise the engine made almost went away, there is still a little noise but you really have to listen to hear it.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.