2012 liberty 4x4 sport grunting/ griding/ vibrating noise? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 liberty 4x4 sport grunting/ griding/ vibrating noise?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

reply deleted

Last edited by dledwards; 12-09-2011 at 01:25 PM..
dledwards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

reply deleted

Last edited by dledwards; 12-09-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu View Post
Well now, my mistake. Relax a bit... I was only referring to the weirdness/vibes at 45-50 mph @1500 rpms being somewhat normal. I didn't even touch on the ticking issue.
Sorry, you have to understand that I just bought it and was expecting a smooth and normal sounding engine...I never expected to have these problems nor be told that that is just the way it sounds and drives.
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #19
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

Same ticking here. You get that with a plastic intake.
swamppro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #20
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Posts keep getting deleted...
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dledwards View Post
Sorry, you have to understand that I just bought it and was expecting a smooth and normal sounding engine...I never expected to have these problems nor be told that that is just the way it sounds and drives.
No problem! And you have taken the dealer/tech with you to experience this wonderful noise, right?
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #22
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu View Post
No problem! And you have taken the dealer/tech with you to experience this wonderful noise, right?
It has been to the dealer three times now, 2 independant mechanic's.. All acknowledge the issues, however Chrysler will not do anything to help me and the dealership will not work with me to get in something else at the same price The sticker is $27,755, I already have a Wrangler so that leaves a basic Laredo as an option. I will be picking it up tomorrow and it will sit in my garage while we determine what we need to do next. Good luck with your Jeep Liberty..
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #23
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dledwards View Post
It has been to the dealer three times now, 2 independant mechanic's.. All acknowledge the issues, however Chrysler will not do anything to help me and the dealership will not work with me to get in something else at the same price The sticker is $27,755, I already have a Wrangler so that leaves a basic Laredo as an option. I will be picking it up tomorrow and it will sit in my garage while we determine what we need to do next. Good luck with your Jeep Liberty..
Is it a constant rythm, does it change with rpms, or wheel speed? I just recently had an issue where my KK had developed a rattle in the back at moderate speeds. I thought it might be the license plate border, so I hoped that putting the plate in place would change it. No luck. I sounded like metal on metal vibrations, and it seemed to be getting louder. As I was getting gas yesterday, I went around and opened up the rear to see if I had missed something. I looked at the jack, thinking it might be loose in it's cradle, but it was tight. The only time it had ever been taken out was when America's Tire removed it to get to my jack handle to lower my spare. On a hunch, I turned the jack around in it's cradle so that the stickers were facing out, and tightened it down. Buttoned everything up, and no vibes on the way home! My point here would be that it might be something as simple as that, and it never hurts to check everything you can put your hands on.
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #24
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

Yup mine ticks just like the rest. I don't even notice anymore
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #25
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

I notice it when it amplifies off a building or something like at a drive through. It's normal. There are other cars that do the same. Some toyotas. Chevys have the annoying fuel pump hiss. Me I can live with it as I love it.
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #26
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

As I mentioned it is while idling and at low speeds. It is so loud it sounds like a diesel engine...unbelievable... Again this is a brand new Liberty. The shudder,vibration and noise at 50-60 is still there and it sounds like the earlier description in this thread..like riding over a grooved piece of pavement or the flat speed breakers that roar. I keep reading that most of you say that this is just the way it is and that you have accepted it..I don't accept it as normal. I don't think any of you would accept what we are hearing unless you like the sound of a diesel engine. When I test drove one at another dealer I did not hear this ticking nor felt or heard the other issue. We just picked it up and stopped to put gas in it actually sounds louder .. We have recorded it if you would like to hear it please send me your email

Last edited by dledwards; 12-10-2011 at 10:13 AM..
Unread 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #27
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

I cleared out my inbox and got the email. That is loud. Almost sounds like a bad exhaust leak.
Unread 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM   #28
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppro
I cleared out my inbox and got the email. That is loud. Almost sounds like a bad exhaust leak.
Yes it is, you should hear it in person ...just had a Jeep diehard listen to it, he has 3 different types of Jeeps and he agrees with my mechanic, who thinks it is the valves or lifters.

Last edited by dledwards; 12-10-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Unread 12-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #29
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

We have no choice at this point but to pursue the Lemon Law and notify consumers through the usual complaint venues. We will keep this Forum updated as events transpire. Many blessings to you all. Merry Christmas
Unread 12-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #30
kxeddiexp

Hey dledwards. I originally put up this post and have been seeking answers to this problem! I called jeep and Chrysler. They seem to have no clue what I'm talking about. The dealer noticed it and said it hasn't been broken in. They said wait for it to pass 3k miles! Until then to drive slower or faster to avoid that sound!

You're right. It's absolutely insane to accept a NEW jeep to do this and live with it. Lol!

I will do as dealer said for now. Wait till my first oil change as then see. I have a feeling that it won't change. I did look into the lemon law for NYS. I have two years 18k miles or something like that.

Keeps us posted on any solution you find or anything we can do to make keep do a recall or something, anything!!

Merry Xmas. Happy new year. Peace
kxeddiexp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.