2012 liberty 4x4 sport grunting/ griding/ vibrating noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 liberty 4x4 sport grunting/ griding/ vibrating noise?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
kxeddiexp

2012 liberty 4x4 sport grunting/ griding/ vibrating noise?

hi, i just bought a new 2012 jeep liberty sport 4x4 on oct 31,2011. i already have about 1600 miles on it. went on a couple road trips to break it in.

ive been noticing a griding/ grunting/ vibrating noise when driving or coasting about 45-55 mph on 1500RPM. it almost sounds like im driving on a pavement that has grooves in it almost like a pattern. consistent grunting noise. (i think from the drivetrain/ engine/ dunno?)

anyways, i thought it was the pavement so i moved to another lane but same thing on any road. so i definitely noticed that it was when i lightly put my foot on the gas pedal at about 45-55 mph.

in my thinking, i thought it might be the clutch not catching the next gear? since its only a 4 speed. i took it to the dealer and they said something about the gear lockup. didnt know what they meant but they said its normal.

but it definately doesnt sound normal... wth?! its annoying! they said to just drive faster or slower. lol

does anybody know what the deal is? sorry for the long message

kxeddiexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a thread on lost that should help explain your issue. Has to do with the torque converter apparently... whatever that is

After reading the post I now realize mine does the same thing whereas before i never noticed it. Kind of a pulsating vibration right?

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=88&t=59403
Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
kxeddiexp

hey thanks for the reply. yea pulsating vibration like you're driving on a grooved pavement with consistent pattern...very annoying. im afraid that its eating away the clutch or something.

i guess if your 09 is still doing it too then its normal thanks
kxeddiexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxeddiexp View Post
hey thanks for the reply. yea pulsating vibration like you're driving on a grooved pavement with consistent pattern...very annoying. im afraid that its eating away the clutch or something.

i guess if your 09 is still doing it too then its normal thanks
lol yup. She hasn't blown up yet! Like i said i never noticed it until i read about it, but even now, i only notice it when i dont have the radio on and the AC is on low. and im usually not driving that slow.
89 YJ 2.5L

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet and it does the same thing at 50-60 mph. Shudder/vibration and roar..the other issue is that the ticking noise of the engine at idle is so loud that I can hear it at red lights....sound's like an old car. I took it back after only 200 miles and I am at 700, mostly from running around trying to get Chrysler to fix the car. Will let you know what happens next..
dledwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dledwards View Post
I just bought a 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet and it does the same thing at 50-60 mph. Shudder/vibration and roar..the other issue is that the ticking noise of the engine at idle is so loud that I can hear it at red lights....sound's like an old car. I took it back after only 200 miles and I am at 700, mostly from running around trying to get Chrysler to fix the car. Will let you know what happens next..
The vibration should get worked out with the PCM flash. apparently the ticking is just a by product of the 3.7L engines and all of them do it.
89 YJ 2.5L

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

I think it has something to do with being in such a (relatively) high gear and going the lowest speed the vehicle can in said gear. If you think about it, you can punch it from a stop and end up going 40-45 mph in 1st or 2nd. I guess what I am getting at is that the output is the same speed, but at a much lower engine (input) speed, and it almost feels like you are going to stall the motor. I have noticed the same thing on mine, and I have had several cars in the past that did it too. Never worried about it after it happened on the second vehicle!
If you drive a stick and shift into a high gear while going a lower speed, you get much the same effect.
Nafpu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

That's normal 42RLE TC shudder,pretty normal as pretty much all do this and have for the 30 some years the 42RLE design has been out in production(started out as the A604 in the very 1st generation minivans).

That tick you hear at idle is also very normal.The 3.7/4.7 intake design amplifies the injectors firing,more noticeable and loud on the 3.7 for some reason then the 4.7.Just be thankful you do not have the broken manifold bolt issues the 4.7's have.
Unread 12-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Just be thankful you do not have the broken manifold bolt issues the 4.7's have.
89 YJ 2.5L

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If these issues are normal as you say, I will stick with My Wrangler ...Funny thing was that after buying the Wrangler in August from my best friend, I loved it so much that I ordered the Liberty from the factory. I had no idea that the engine would be a nightmare like this. I have never heard of a brand new car sounding and driving like this and will not accept it as normal ..It is very embarassing when the ticking noise drowns out your conversations and everyone stops and asks what is wrong with your new vehicle. The vibration and shudder at 50 is just downright irritating as well. My best to all of you - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Last edited by dledwards; 12-08-2011 at 04:28 PM..
Unread 12-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
This is no ordinary ticking..it is extremely loud and not something anyone would overlook
and why should they..Who wants to buy much less own a brand new vehicle that sounds and drives like this.
My 3.7 has the same loud tick,been there since the day I drove it off the lot almost 10 years ago with 3 miles on her.It's loud enough I can hear it over my MagnaFlow ultra race muffler which is alot louder then a Flowmaster 40 series.I drive my Jeep hard also,bounces off the rev limiter at least 10 times a day if not more and it's still running just fine.
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
If these issues are normal as you say, I will stick with My Wrangler ...Funny thing was that after buying the Wrangler in August from my best friend, I loved it so much that I ordered the Liberty from the factory. I had no idea that the engine would be a nightmare like this. I have never heard of a brand new car sounding and driving like this and will not accept it as normal ..It is very embarassing when the ticking noise drowns out your conversations and everyone stops and asks what is wrong with your new vehicle. The vibration and shudder at 50 is just downright irritating as well. My best to all of you - Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Yes, the vibes and shudder are annoying, but you do have the option of locking out o/d with the tow button. It isn't just this specific tranny/engine combo.
Unread 12-09-2011, 07:29 AM   #13
dledwards
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafpu

Yes, the vibes and shudder are annoying, but you do have the option of locking out o/d with the tow button. It isn't just this specific tranny/engine combo.
You are missing the point. No one should have any of these issues, period. Everyone seems to think it us something you just have to live with. That is insane
Unread 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed, I did try and listen for any "ticking" in mine the other day and i don't even hear it at all. I would try and go back to the dealer and see what they say since yours is obviously louder than the others.
89 YJ 2.5L

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Unread 12-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
You are missing the point. No one should have any of these issues, period. Everyone seems to think it us something you just have to live with. That is insane
Well now, my mistake. Relax a bit... I was only referring to the weirdness/vibes at 45-50 mph @1500 rpms being somewhat normal. I didn't even touch on the ticking issue.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.