2012 KK Lemon? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 KK Lemon?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #61
DimmuJeeper
2012 KK Liberty 

1150 miles now

Well, the mileage has slightly improved. I hit 18 mpg freeway for about 30 seconds, exited the freeway and roughly 3-4 minutes stop and go knocked it down to 17.7 by the time I pulled into work. Pulled out to leave for the day and the same 3-4 minutes to the freeway it was down to 16.7!!! I swear this constant watching the rpm's and mpg are going to drive me bat sh*t crazy!! It took the whole 26.6 mile commute home for it to go up to 17.3. I'd be a real happy camper for 20 mpg, to me that is good gas mileage! I'll have to admit it's been a rough transition from a Commander to a Liberty.

DimmuJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #62
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimmuJeeper View Post
Well, the mileage has slightly improved. I hit 18 mpg freeway for about 30 seconds, exited the freeway and roughly 3-4 minutes stop and go knocked it down to 17.7 by the time I pulled into work. Pulled out to leave for the day and the same 3-4 minutes to the freeway it was down to 16.7!!! I swear this constant watching the rpm's and mpg are going to drive me bat sh*t crazy!! It took the whole 26.6 mile commute home for it to go up to 17.3. I'd be a real happy camper for 20 mpg, to me that is good gas mileage! I'll have to admit it's been a rough transition from a Commander to a Liberty.
I did have a 11' GC for a couple of days but never drove a Commander, how is it different?
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #63
DimmuJeeper
2012 KK Liberty 

The Commander is a bad *** ride! It's super roomy and you could pack 7 people in there. The Hemi was the most impressive. Just barely a tap on the gas pedal and off you went, sounds mean too. It drove like a dream. If you hit a bump on the road you would hardly notice, nothing but smooth. And don't even get me started on the maneuverability! I couldn't tolerate the need for mid-grade gas and all the continued issues due to the infamous "clogged sunroof drains"
Unread 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #64
had2hava5sp

I too am disappointed with my 2012 Liberty's mileage, but with just over 3K miles on the clock, most of which has been at low speeds on the ups and downs of my hilly city, I'm hopeful it will get better. I did recently complain to my local jeep dealer about the mileage, and they noted that I'm running on "winter formula" gas now, which doesn't offer the best potential for good mileage. Balancing my disappointment with the mileage are 1) I paid far less than the $40K plus I was considering for a V8 Grand Cherokee with similar gas mileage, and 2) a look at the new 2014 Cherokee (UGLY? or what) makes me glad I got a a Jeep that looks like a Jeep. I get lots of favorable comments about the traditional "boxy" shape -- not as clean as my beloved 2000 Cherokee, but again -- looks like a Jeep should.
had2hava5sp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #65
HSOUSA
2012 KK Liberty 

Gas is gas... I look at it this way.

It used to cost me $50 a week in my 2.4 liter lancer.
It now costs me $80 a week in a 3.7 liberty.

Bigger engine, heavier vehicle = more gas.

Anyone complaining about gas mileage should have got a Prius instead.
HSOUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #66
DimmuJeeper
2012 KK Liberty 

I hear you Had2. I went looking to buy a new Grand Cherokee but with what I need in a vehicle ( leather interior is a must when children and dogs are involved) the cheapest GC on the lot was $38,000 with leather. I never thought of considering the Liberty before but the price was right and it's loaded. I don't expect 25+ mpg but like I said before 19-20 mpg would be ok with me. I too complained to the dealer about the mpg's and I was told that the engine needs to break in. It has went up from 13 mpg with 300 miles on it, I'm now at 1400 miles and getting 17.7 on average now but most of my driving is highway on a daily basis
Unread 03-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #67
tntinok98
2012 JK Wrangler 

Have 2012 sport, bought at beginning of Dec. I am in the middle of vacation, when left Tue had 7900 miles on it. 1800 miles later, and still have 1400 mile trip back, we are averaging 21.5 mpg, no unwanted noise, it has been a wonderful trip in my Jeep. Oh by the way mpg was with snow, high winds, and about 500 miles of mountains. Love my Liberty.
tntinok98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #68
BettyHumpter
2011 KK Liberty 

There is no way my jeep will get 21- 23mpg. I drive all highway and the best i can get is 19.8mpg. That is setting the cruise at 65-70 and riding in the slow lane. I have a 2011 Liberty Jet with the sky slider and there is no way it will get 23 mpg, unless you go 5- 10 below the speed limit. I have a k-n filter in it and that's it. Tires are at the right pressure also.

any tips??

Last edited by BettyHumpter; 03-25-2013 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Your mom
BettyHumpter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #69
tntinok98
2012 JK Wrangler 

Couldn't really help you on any tips, my sport is a base model, just finished up my trip. Have 10,500 miles on it now. Was averaging 80 mph, and still got 21.5 average for the whole thing. I think the worst I got was 19.8 in the mountains.
tntinok98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #70
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyHumpter View Post
There is no way i my jeep will get 21- 23mpg. I drive all highway and the best i can get is 19.8mpg. That is setting the cruise at 65-70 and riding in the slow lane. I have a 2011 Liberty Jet with the sky slider and there is no way it will get 23 mpg, unless you go 5- 10 below the speed limit. I have a k-n filter in it and that's it. Tires are at the right pressure also.

any tips??
Other than how you drive or where your driving and keeping your Lib tuned. Temperature has some effect on mpg, when it falls below 38 degrees it effects and the winter fuel mix drops your mpg 10-15%

I just hit 21.5 mpg on my way up to MA annd kept the cruise control at about 65.

I keep tabs on the air pressure, use 5w20 Penzoil Platnum full synthetic between oil changes.

You can try replacing your tires with a pair of the eco - friendly tires not certain how good they are but you'll be sacrificing performance.

Last note if you like keeping air circulating in your cabin; after your windows defog turn off your defogger and have air flow through the vents on fresh, using the defogger means using your ac even if you have the heat turned up on it. If you recycle your air it will also automatially turn on your ac you have to manually shut it off.

Other than that can't think of else atm.
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #71
BettyHumpter
2011 KK Liberty 

The 20" wheels probably dont help either, but it came from the factory that way. I am in sales and i do 90% of my driving on the interstate. I got the liberty for the fact it has a class 3 hitch like my previous vehicle, and it only had a 6cyl. My previous vehicle was a lincoln navigator, and it got 18 on the highway. I thought the liberty would get at least 20. I will see what happens when it gets warmer, and i will watch the defroster also. Thanks!!
BettyHumpter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #72
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Keeping a steady throttle position is hard to accomplish with the Liberty, but it's the way I'm able to achieve decent mileage.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #73
mtbiker
2011 KK Liberty 

I'm not sure about economy, but I had the 20"(Jet package) and then the 18"(Limited) followed by the 16"(Sport) wheels that are now on my '11 Liberty. The ride on the 16" is far superior to the bigger sizes. I felt every crack & expansion joint in the road w/ them. The 16" have the just right amount of sidewall/volume to make the Liberty ride so much better.
mtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #74
rescue575
2011 KK Liberty 

Never knew that about the defroster. I run that often so perhaps that's a reason on my poor mileage.
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #75
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575 View Post
Never knew that about the defroster. I run that often so perhaps that's a reason on my poor mileage.
Make sure you all use your defroster to defrost your windows, that most important for visibility. What I am saying is that front window defroster uses the ac to help dry the air even if it is the middle of winter and if you have the heater cranked all of the way.

After mour my windows clear up in the morning I just set it to "fresh" and have air blowing theough my dash vents. Keep in mind too that certain Libs have an incabin filter behind the dash. It comes in 2 peices I usually change mind every 20-30K.

I think all in all the ac might reduce your mpg by 1 and at worst 2 mpg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.