2012 Jeep Liberty issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2012 Jeep Liberty issues

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

2012 Jeep Liberty issues

I have a 2012 Jeep Liberty 20,000 Miles, problem started out at what felt to be bad gas, felt a hesitation or a skip, brought it to dealership they said they didn't feel anything, problem persisted and I brought it back, was told that they can feel the hesitation they thought maybe it was the Torque Converter they reset it back to factory settings however made no difference, I was then told that because it does it in Tow Haul that it was not the Torque converter, they changed the EGR Valve, put in new plugs and decarbed the motor neither of which made a difference, now dealership says there's nothing they can do as the computer doesnt read anything is wrong. I have a claim open with Jeep. the Liberty feels like it jerks or hesitates mailnly when at a constant speed approx. 15-1600 RPMs at almost any speed and has now seemed to have gotten worse. Has now started to feel like it is powerless on hills if at a constant speed you apply the gas up a hill it will stay at the same speed or decrease in speed, not gain speed, however once it shifts, if it does going up the hill it will take right off....anyone have any similar issues?

Jeepers20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

pretty sure every kk has this.. isnt that the torque converter lock/unlock for eco mode? someone correct me if im wrong. but mine does this too, everything i have read has said it is normal.
Babaki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

I cant believe that it is normal to feel like your engine is skipping everytime you try to keep the Liberty at a constant speed on the highway...it actually feels like its on a bumpy road when it is not from the jerking...if it were true that it is the lock?unlock mode than I would say it would not do it in Tow Haul mode because Tow Haul prevents the torque converter from going into lock out. However it does it in Tow Haul, also does it much worse with the air conditioning on.
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

Also I bought this Liberty Brand new and it didn't do it when first purchased, didn't start until I owned it for close to a year.
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

what size tires are you running? Are you driving with the ECO and trying to drive with the "on" lit?

Since buying mine new, I noticed that the transmission seemed a lot like a European "tiptronic" style that uses pedal input to control how and when the trans shifts.
I found that I had to be more aggressive with gas pedal input to get the trans to downshift one gear. If you are just gingerly adding pressure, you get that feeling of loss of power since the trans is trying to save you gas by staying in higher gear. The drive by wire throttle is not as sensitive to gradual increases in pedal pressure. You need to "move" the pedal to get the sensor to send data. These trannies have a learn mode that tries to perceive your driving style and sets after a while. When the dealer reset it, it changed the way it was trying to work with your driving style.
Try driving it a little more aggressively with your pedal inputs and see if you notice any differences. You gotta be careful not to get way deep in the pedal as it will downshift two or more gears and take you to 5000 RPM till you back way off.

The reason I ask about the tire size is because you say it happens around 1500-1600 RPM. Mine rarely cruises at that RPM...more like 1800-1900, which is more in the torque sweet spot. it seems like your cruise RPM is too low to give you good drivability with the TC and trans in general trying to stay in "coast" or "decel" with the fuel cutoff turning on and off.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Another thing... I am pretty sure Tow/Haul mode does not preclude TC lockup. It may delay in a few hundred RPM but If the TC does not lock at some point you will start to over heat the fluid. It does raise/delay shift points and either delays or turns off O/D.

Do this...drive for a few days with the tow/haul on and see if there is any difference in your problem. You will have to hit the button at each engine start.

When I am late to something and have to expedite my progress through the sea of idiots on the road, I activate the T/H and it allows me to accelerate more aggressively and take advantage of fleeting gaps in traffic.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

Tire size is the same that came on the Liberty, the issue of the bucking feelling used to happen at 1800-1900 RPM's until they reset back to factory settings now it does it at the 1500-1600 RPM...I understand what your saying completely, however the vehicle did not run like this until a few months ago, if it was due to the Eco mode or the way it is set up due to trying to be more efficient I would assume it would have done this from day 1? I do get the feeling of loss of power on a hill, however the feeling on at the constant speed is more like a bucking feeling which happens at all different speeds and RPM's
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

well let us know what you find out from your claim. my kk does the exact same thing you are describing. i googled it when i first got it (used) and everything i could find said it was normal. annoying but normal.
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #9
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

I will let you know, I have an apt at the Garage Friday and another on Monday for testing they are doing on it...I just find it so hard to believe that this is normal and that people are actually driving around in Libertys and not complaining and that people actually like their Libertys if this is the way they drive. Ive asked the dealership if I can test drive another 2012 Liberty but they don't have one on the lot, going to a different dealership o Monday I am hoping they have one that I can drive so I can see if it feels the same as mine.
Unread 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

See if there are any TSB for the Liberty. I had a similar issue on my Patriot and a free TSB at the dealer fixed the issue.
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
terryj
2011 KK Liberty 

I had that problem on my 2011 Liberty, then the engine light came on, took it to the dealer and they said there was an update on the firmware in the computer, they flashed the firmware and the problem went away. The problem happened at around 2500 miles today we have 30K on the Jeep and haven't had a problem with it.
terryj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

The dealership has stated that there isn't any updates that need to be done, no bulletins, and no fault codes..
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
Babaki
2012 KK Liberty 

hey dude any updates to your issue?
Unread 09-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #14
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

Took my Liberty to another dealership, took the manager for a ride, he instanlty said its the Torque Converter. Manager contacted his rep for the Warranty was given the ok and ordered the part. It goes in on Monday to be replaced. Jeep also called me direct from Detroit and we are awaiting the result to see if this solves the problem.
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #15
Jeepers20
2012 KK Liberty 

Recvd Liberty back from dealership, still having the same issue, taking it back to dealership but cant get it in until next week. To the others that said their Liberties do this, do you really have a chugging feeling anytime you try to travel at a constant speed? At this point I would really just love to trade it and be done with it however I bought it brand new a year ago so that's not going to work...very frustrated with this Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.