2011 Jeep Liberty Sport Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2011 Jeep Liberty Sport Towing

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Barrytoons
2011 KK Liberty 

2011 Jeep Liberty Sport Towing

I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty Sport. I had a hitch installed that can tow up to the 5,000 pounds the Jeep Liberty is rated or. My owners manual gives towing capacity with and with out a "Tow Package". When I contacted the dealer they said that I do not need to do anything more to my Jeep to be able to Tow up to the 5,000 pounds.
I am concerned by what I have heard and read this is not true. Can anyone give me some advise here?
I will be towing a light travel trailer, around 3,000 pounds not including fresh water, gray water, black water and accessories.
Thank you.

Barrytoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

I haven't done any testing but I am in the same boat! I installed an aftermarket hitch (rated for 5k lbs). I have read that w/o tow package option ( which consists of heavier duty cooling capabilities if I'm not mistaking) is 2k. If you have the tow package it is 5k.
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
swamppro
2008 KK Liberty 

I installed a curt hitch and nothing else to my 2008 sport 4x4. I tow a 21' baja boat that is close to 4000lbs with full fuel. Tows like a dream.
swamppro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Barrytoons
2011 KK Liberty 

Cool, sounds like I should be good to go then.

Thanks Swamppro.
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

I have towed a 17 ft sunbird. W/ trailer prob between 3-4k lbs and didn't even feel it...though I was on flat surface. No mountainous terrain. Just watch your gadges but you should be fine. Plus your under warranty.....if something burns out then the only thing you ever towed was an 800lb aluminum!
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
royhkeith
2010 KK Liberty 

I think the frontal area and shape of your trailer is as, or more, important than the weight of the trailer (if you stay under 5,000lb). Hills will be a big factor concerning the weight. Aerodynamics will be a big factor concerning travel speed and head winds. Watch your temp guage closely, travel at reduced speed, and keep RPM up using "Tow" mode.
Unread 06-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by royhkeith View Post
I think the frontal area and shape of your trailer is as, or more, important than the weight of the trailer (if you stay under 5,000lb). Hills will be a big factor concerning the weight. Aerodynamics will be a big factor concerning travel speed and head winds. Watch your temp guage closely, travel at reduced speed, and keep RPM up using "Tow" mode.
BINGO...we have a winner!!!!

There is more to towing than the weight being pulled alone....plus don't forget, at some point you need to be able to stop that load your pulling!!
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Jeeplady50
2007 JK Wrangler 

Help from anyone would be greatly appreciated! I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty and it has a factory installed hitch. I am trying to figure out how much i can tow with it? I have a Jayco tent trailor says unloaded 2000 lbs gross vehicle weight rating 2950. How do i know if my Jeep can haul this? Where would I look to see if it has all things required to tow?
Jeeplady50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

You shouldn't havev any problems hauling a travel rent. Especially with factory towing package. With the upgrade you are good with 500lbs tongue/5000lbs tow weights.
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
Barrytoons
2011 KK Liberty 

What I am towing is a Trailmanor Travel Trailer that tows low profile, like a pop up. So far things are great, no issues. More concerned about any long term effects.

By the way, thanks for all the responses, nice to see a forum that actually works.
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
riggs1974

Hitch rating doesn't matter

The capacity on the hitch installed has nothing to do with the vehicle's towing ability. The Jeep Liberty's towing capacity without the towing package is 2000 pounds. With the towing package, it's 3500 pounds. With the towing package and a weight distribution hitch, it's 5000 pounds. You will get down the road hauling 5000 pounds (don't try to go over any mountain passes), but your engine and transmission will pay the price. Mostly what the towing package gives you is an upgraded engine and transmission cooling system.
riggs1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #12
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The most important thing to get is the mechanical fan. It just screws onto that big threaded pipe on the front of the water pump pulley.
It helps the electric fan. A lot.
P/N 55116884AA fan, cooling, mechanical (blades)
P/N 52079718AD drive, fan (clutch)

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:58 AM   #13
TJ's02TJ
2012 KK Liberty 

I guess I'll be the one to suggest using the search function on this forum. There have been some really good posts about towing.

Like someone already said make sure you can stop what you are towing. Most travel trailers over about 3000lbs should come with electric brakes. You will need to install the 7-pin wiring harness and a brake controller. I don't think I would be towing with out it.

Gone but not forgotten. '02 TJ 4cyl. 2" Skyjacker Spacer Lift 31" General Grabber AT 2.
TJ's02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #14
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I looked at the dealer for the difference and the only thing I could see, and they couldn't really confirm, was increased cooling in the A/C condenser. A mechanical fan in addition to the electric fan. As far as the electronics go, they should be able to flash the computer if there are any changes. I was told the electronic stability control is the function that provides trailer sway control and that won't really do anything but keep you from rolling over, in theory.
Now, if you've upgraded the suspension, have the proper gears for the tires and add the mechanical fan you shouldn't have any problem. Make sure you're trailer has brakes and you've installed the factory seven pin harness. After putting 4.10 gears in I can say the KK barely knows my 2000# pop-up is back there. The OME springs and shocks are a game changer as well. I also use a load leveling hitch with sway control built into the design and made for light trailers.
I've looked for something that tells me about the trailer tow option but couldn't find much. If anyone has anything from Jeep that says this can't be done I would love to see it.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

This is a great thread. The first I've seen with Mopar part numbers for the fan and fan clutch... Bookmarking!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.