2011 "Gate Open" Switch Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2011 "Gate Open" Switch Issue

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
dieseldogpi
2008 JK Wrangler 

2011 "Gate Open" Switch Issue

Hey everyone. Yesterday my liberty started saying the gate was open out of no where. The dome lights would come on, etc. I figured its just a switch and I will look at it this weekend. Then last night, out of no where, my factory alarm started going off. I did do a little research and seen that this is a common issue, noting that the switch on the lift gate needs to be replaced. It has been raining pretty steadily, so I sure water got into the door and shorted the switch for it to only have acted up the past day or so. I am having trouble figuring out exactly what part I need to order to fix this. I think this is it:
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p...5143017AA.html

But I am not sure. Looking for some verification on this. Thanks for the help guys.

2011 Charcoal Grey KK w/Sky Slider
dieseldogpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Eagle112199
2008 KK Liberty 

I had problems with wipers and headlights and it was my TIPM. Have a dealer check that too. There are many threads about problems with them on here. MOPAR's solution to a fuse box/computer thing and it is a known problem for some model years.
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
kurnz
2008 KK Liberty 

I have the same exact problem. And my jeep is taking water.

I removed the liftgate plastic trim and there is actually a bit of water into the gate.

The latch works great, but it keeps saying "gate" in the cluster. I can open it with the remote and the handle, no problem for this.

The glass won't open by the button or the remote, but I can open it manually from the glass latch. When I press on the remote, flashers light twice and nothing happens.

Do I have to replace the latch or a module or what?

By the way dieseldogpi, the part you refered to is for a KJ, not a KK
kurnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

You have the exact same problem I had. The root cause is the flipper glass seal. There is a TSB for this but they have to run your vin to see if it applies to your vehicle. Also, I'm not sure if it will be covered due to age. You'll need the gate latch and/or flipper glass latch as well as a window seal and an additional piece of seal material that looks like a rain gutter that goes across the top of the glass and diverts water to either side. This seems to have been a common problem up to 2010. Hopefully mopar covers your parts.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

A good dealer will apply the TSB anyway. And Ted's right, the entire tailgate latch has to be replaced. The water has gotten inside, which has led to corrosion.

Oh boy I'm so happy I don't have to deal with that water droplet residue anymore!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.