JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   2010 Liberty Spare Tire Cover (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/2010-liberty-spare-tire-cover-1249821/)

pauld73 08-07-2011 02:54 PM

2010 Liberty Spare Tire Cover

My 2010 Liberty has it's spare tire under the vehicle. I'm wondering if you can cover the spare with a cover without it catching fire from the hot muffler or cat converter. Has anyone covered their spare with a spare tire cover. The cover would keep salt and water off of the spare and prevent it from rusting.

Paul

jonrjen 08-07-2011 03:11 PM

Why are you worried about keeping the weather elements off of a wheel and tire. They were designed to face the elements head on day after day.

jonrjen 08-07-2011 03:12 PM

Not to mention that a tire/wheel cover would hold water over a long period of time which could result in accelerated rusting under the vehicle over time.

pauld73 08-07-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonrjen (Post 11982587)
Not to mention that a tire/wheel cover would hold water over a long period of time which could result in accelerated rusting under the vehicle over time.

Well here in PA you are constantly driving over salt water in the winter from the salted roads. Salt is highly corrosive and the painted spare tire wheel won't last long with salt spray on it. The tire cover would keep the salt spray off the steel wheel and prevent rusting.

jonrjen 08-07-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pauld73 (Post 11982625)
Well here in PA you are constantly driving over salt water in the winter from the salted roads. Salt is highly corrosive and the painted spare tire wheel won't last long with salt spray on it. The tire cover would keep the salt spray off the steel wheel and prevent rusting.

Oh, I understand salt on the roadway, I used to live up north. But, a spare tire cover will ony cover either the top or bottom of the spare tire. Meaning it will hold the snow/salt spray either on top of the cover towards the metal underside of the body, or in towards the inside of a tire cover such as a bucket holding a mixture of salt/snow/water combination against the tire and wheel. Either way it will trap the water/snow/salt mix.
The paint on the spare wheel should not react to the chemicals of road salt any earlier than what the undercarriage of the Liberty itself. If it is that much of a concern you could always when temp rise above freezing go to the car wash, lower the spare tire and spray it off with a pressure sprayer. Or before winter weather sets in spray the wheel with a coating of WD-40 or another good lubricant spray. Better yet, just put a good coat of wax on it.

pauld73 08-07-2011 09:04 PM

[QUOTE=jonrjen;11983908]Oh, I understand salt on the roadway, I used to live up north.

Thanks for the excellent input. Well you know then what the roads are like up here in the winter. I think you're right about collecting a salt water mix in the cover. I think I'll try rinsing it off in the local carwash when the salt is especially bad (when my green Liberty turns chalk white) Thanks again for your input!

Paul

Poncherello 08-08-2011 11:37 PM

Don't forget after washing and waxing your spare to "Armor All" the tire lol

The time now is 03:32 PM.