2010 Jeep Liberty with Sun Slider vs. 2010 4dr. Unlimited ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2010 Jeep Liberty with Sun Slider vs. 2010 4dr. Unlimited ??

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
britt22

2010 Jeep Liberty with Sun Slider vs. 2010 4dr. Unlimited ??

Help -

We are down to final decision time between these two great jeeps -
the 2010 Jeep Liberty with Sun Slider vs. the 2010 Jeep 4dr. Unlimited.

We have been searching for over a year for the perfect car and after looking at EVERYTHING out there, have narrowed it down to these 2 great choices.
Both perfectly fit the bill for a good, FUN, SAFE, minor offroading, family car.(I realize they both are GREAT for off-roading, but we will only be doing that to a minor degree. - Biggest priority was a fun car that was safe as well. Could NOT be something boring...)

I sooo can't make up my mind and go back a forth between the two like a ping-pong ball.
I would love to hear any and all input from others - especially if they were torn between the two as well. Which car won and why ???
Thanks so much !

britt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

The perfect car is a Ferrari F355.

If you want a perfect car, why are you looking at Jeeps?

That being said...ThunderbirdJunkie thinks the Liberty is a nicer vehicle to drive on the road. He also does not like the 4 door Wrangler, so take what he says with a grain of salt.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The unlimited is rougher, more off road capable, more like a truck, hose the mud out to clean it type vehicle. Compromises on road manners for serious off roading capability. The Liberty has loads more creature comfort, more like a car, compromises off road capability to be more safe/manageable on the street. Its for a more casual off road but mostly street purpose.

We went through the same decision a few months ago, kids loved the unlimited looks, mom did not like the ride or creature comfort. You can't get the selec-trac automatic AWD in the unlimited, just a couple part time 4WD cases. I personally think that would swing the decision to the Liberty, and if you do much highway driving the unlimited buzz and ride can get annoying after awhile.

Now with the right attitude, you would love either vehicle.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
britt22

thanks

Thanks for the input T-bird Junkie and ColdCase - like I said, I am welcoming ALL input - good or bad...

Although the Ferrari could be "the perfect" car -
I am not sure if is "the perfect family" car....
someday, Maybe just for my husband and me, (ha ha...totally dreaming...)

ColdCase - did you happen to get the 2009 Liberty with the Sun Slider ?
If so, have you been happy with it, and/ or had any problems with it ??
Are you happy with your Liberty decision ?

Your write up totally sounds like our family. I was hoping others may have had the same dilema between the two....
Although my husband is the one who does not like how the Unlimited drives.

My kids LOVE the looks of it too, and are just not sure about the Liberty's looks.

I myself am just sooo confused as I love many aspects of each of them.
Have always wanted a Wrangler and am now kind of afraid to pass up my opportunity. But the Liberty does feel more comfortable and it is safer...
And the Sun Slider is just so very cool....and way easier than taking a top on and off.

oh - Decisions, decisions....??

again - thanks for your input -
Unread 01-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So basically it comes down to sunroof vs. convertible???? Well, I've not seen the Liberty you speak of, and I am very partial to convertibles, so my vote is for the JK... But..... If you don't like having your hair messed up, if your kids are going to grow past about 5' tall and you or your spouse are over 6' then you might be better off with the Libby. The back seat of the JK doesn't really seem that spacious for larger kids. (my oldest is 6'1"). I will always own a convertible till they pry the keys from my hands, so I am definitely biased in my decision. Congratulations on choosing a Jeep, I'm sure you'll love which ever one you decide to get.

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
jeepster09
2009 KK Liberty 

KK v Wrangler

I have a fully optioned 09 KK Limited with Skyslider. totally awesome, love that option. we are driving the Libby down to Fla from Michigan instead of wife's minivan because of that. (I've had no issues at all with it's operation, it is much like a convertible.) Also, there may be some mud or sand that the KK might find on the way down. that is why we bought KK over Wrangler. Better on the road. better rear seats. better luggage capacity, yet is very capable offroad to a degree more that I will ever use. Go to Cardomain.com, check out Jeep Liberty section look at "hotbox_v1" 2008 Liberty, watch the videos of his KK in action off road, if you want to do more serious off roading than that, then go to the Wrangler. Either way, IT'S A JEEP! good luck
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by britt22 View Post
ColdCase - did you happen to get the 2009 Liberty with the Sun Slider ?
If so, have you been happy with it, and/ or had any problems with it ??
Are you happy with your Liberty decision ?
We did not get the sun slider because we wanted a usable roof rack, we like the sun/moon roof, the noise and leak issues some have had, the significant extra cost, and we have a convertible. Cool, yes... just not practical for us.

Emotion is a big part of the process for buying a car, my wife buys one strictly by color, she sees a color she likes and she wants it... and sometimes you just have to buy something you like regardless. If you want to take all the emotion out of it, buy the Wrangler only if you need a rugged solid vehicle and must go anywhere off road. The Unlimited does not make practical sense otherwise, so buy the Liberty.

We had a soft top CJ7 when the kids were smaller and the family just loved it. It was a pain to commute 50 highway miles to work, but it was cool around town and would go anywhere. Pat is happy with the liberty, loves the MyGig radio and color. The kids not so much. They like it and will ride in it but they have no desire to drive it.... which can be an advantage.

Both are safe vehicles.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #8
jeepster09
2009 KK Liberty 

KK v WK

as far as SkySlider roof, my 09 KK has no issues. It doesn't leak, (have been thru car wash many times.) there is some road noise, to be expected.(much like convertible) wind noise is minimal. Have really only noticed that during high wind drives, the coolness factor and the fun in the sun factor IMO far outweigh any negatives. I worked at Chrysler, on this project and although there were some issues with early release (08) Skysliders, they were resolved. take a shot you won't be disappointed
jeepster09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
WXman
2001 WJ 

I can tell you from experience that after you fool with the Wrangler soft top for a while, you'll wish you had gone with the Liberty SkySlider.

However, the Wrangler may actually be a wider vehicle which would make getting kids comfortable in the back seat an easier task. So I would definitely check that out. The new Wrangler is the same width inside as a Commander. I measured them when we were looking last time.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The '08 Skyslider issues have NOT been resolved - my wife's KK is in for the 4th time (including the TSB) today to replace a bent bow, and to have the programming updated to not allow it to open at high velocity.

Worst option ever, unless you like hollering at highway speeds. I hear they have improved it for the '09s - did they just scrap the name to SUNslider now? I will not keep this jeep when the wife wills it to me in about a year if this fix doesn't last and keep the wind noise 'reasonable'

Skyslider aside, the KK is great where it counts. (no not mpg)
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Britt, I have both a Liberty (KJ) and two-door Wrangler (TJ). The KJ is more family friendly, and as mentioned you can get it with Selec-Trac which I prefer for it's full-time option which is really nice to have for mixed road conditions.

One thing to consider is what my wife and I did. Buy the Liberty first, then later buy a two-door Wrangler.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
DaveV
2009 KK Liberty 

I had to make the same decision last year between and 09 Ruicon Unlimited and 09 Liberty. I was stepping up from a TJ. Although most of the time it's just me riding in the vehicle, my son comes to live with me in the summer. I do alot of camping and liked the security and storage space of the Liberty. Also I try to go about once a month from Virginia to NJ to see my son and that's what made the final decision. Athough I've been a die hard Wrangler fan (even drove from FL to Va with a soft top). All the road trips is what won me over to the Liberty and I don't regret the decision at all. First camping trip with the KK was to Cape Hatteras and it handled great over the sand dunes completely stock in 4hi and tires not aired down..

Bottom line is the decision is up to you.
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
britt22

Question for T-birdJunkie

T-birdJunkie -

I read on another thread that the first stop you made after you bought your liberty was the tire shop -

I am curious to know what tires you choose ?
Do you have a pic. posted showing them on your Liberty ?

Any and all input is as always: very welcomed...
Unread 01-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #14
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Cooper Discoverer S/T's. Good price, got about 50k miles out of the first set, with about another 10k miles of life left...ran Wrangler MT/R's for about 40,000 miles more. Seriously considered the new Kevlar Wrangler MT/Rs, but remembered how well the Coopers were.

Stock, with the Coopers in 235/70-16

poser stock flex

90,000 miles later, with another set of Cooper S/T's, in LT245/75-16 with a lift, load range E.
You can see the tread pattern pretty well in this pic...looks a bit goofy, but you get used to it, and it performs well in the wet, is fairly quiet, and great in snow, and they're plenty sticky on dry pavement.

ThunderbirdJunkie will be disappointed if he doesn't get 50,000 out of the new ones before being unusable off road.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
davegt
1983 CJ5 

if your not sure of the looks of the liberty,search this site for one with a small lift kit and bigger tires... changes the look ALOT.
davegt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.