2010 jeep liberty massive/severe ATF leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2010 jeep liberty massive/severe ATF leak

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 04-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
z0lt3c
2012 WK 

2010 jeep liberty massive/severe ATF leak

My brother-in-law purchased a 2010 Jeep Liberty about 2 weeks ago. It was a dealership's demo vehicle and it had about 10,000 miles on the clock when he took ownership. Since he bought it, he's put about 1000 miles on it without any problems.

However, as he was making the 80 mile drive to my house today, about 10 miles away he started to notice thick white smoke coming from the passenger side rear wheel well. Not stopping immediately, he decided to try and make it to my house the final 10 miles. Over the course of the 10 miles the smoke got thicker, but no engine lights or warnings came on.

When he finally got it to my house, I jacked up the rear end and and there was basically fluid everywhere. Under the car and covering the rear hatch of the car. Most of fluid was dripping onto the muffler, which then burnt the fluid, creating the white smoke. The fluid appeared light in viscosity and red in color ... pretty much looks like ATF fluid.

I really don't know anything about these new Liberties, so I wasn't much help to him other then the obvious "call a tow truck and the dealer" It appeared to me the leak was coming from rear end of the transmission. It was difficult to figure out what was what under there, there was a large skid plate obstructing things, but the leak was sourced forward of the middle muffler location and more towards the center of the car. With these stupid sealed dipsticks I couldn't even check the ATF level.

Just wondering if anybody has had such a severe loss of fluid. My WK Jeep would loose a few drops until I had some o-rings replaced, but nothing ever like this. I hope the dealership doesn't give him any problems because he drove it while it was loosing fluid rapidly. Needless to say he needed a ride home and the liberty is stuck in my driveway until tomorrow.

Thanks,
Z

z0lt3c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
geene519
2010 KK Liberty 

i've never heard of something like that happeneing. bring it to the dealer, don't say you drove it for awhile after it started smoking though...lol
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #3
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Here is a link with someone in a 2010 Liberty with tranny leak.They replaced the rear main seal,and yoke on the rear of the tranny:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/leaking-oil-982417/
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
z0lt3c
2012 WK 

This was a little bit more then a "drop" of fluid;

Last edited by z0lt3c; 04-21-2010 at 05:21 PM..
Unread 04-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
z0lt3c
2012 WK 

My brother-in-law heard back from the dealer today. They diagnosed the fluid leak as a blown front differential seal. They said the differential lost all of it's fluid, it was bone dry when it arrived on the tow truck. Pretty incredible a 2010 with 10,000 miles could have such a significant drivetrain seal failure so early in it's lifetime.

Last edited by z0lt3c; 04-22-2010 at 10:29 PM..
Unread 04-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Well that makes two 2010 Liberty that has had a seal problem.I wonder how many more will show up with a bad seal.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
diggerfreek
2008 KK Liberty 

I hate to jump in like this, but WTF! That is a tranny leak, not a front differential seal. I could see a front main seal on the trans going out...
diggerfreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
z0lt3c
2012 WK 

Yeah I am unfortunately short on specifics, not owning the vehicle or being involved in the repairs, just passing on the information as it was passed onto me. The other problem they tell me now is that Jeep did a poor job of either cleaning up the fluid, or the cabin filters are clogged, because the cabin constantly smells like burnt fluid I told them to ask for a new muffler...
Unread 08-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
Jolomobo

+1 - Transfer Case Rear Seal- Blown at 15K miles

Well, that makes 3! Casually driving on vacation on the east coast and noticed oil droplets/mist on back window. Stopped back at hotel and found ATF dripping all along the bottom (of course there's no dip stick on the 2010 KK). Called roadside assistance and got a tow to a nearby dealer. Dealer is unbelievably slow (they refused to troubleshoot from 7:30AM to 2PM 'cause they had other appointments (um, thanks, cross a day off my vacation!)) They say it's a TX case seal, 30 min to fix but have to wait for the part to be delivered tomorrow (Did I mention that they lost 7hours 'cause they didn't want to look at it earlier).
Jolomobo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.