2009 Liberty Spark Plug Torque? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2009 Liberty Spark Plug Torque?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-30-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

2009 Liberty Spark Plug Torque?

Does anyone have a book/manual that lists the torque specs for the spark plugs on a 2009 KK?

I'm going with the NGK ZFR6F-11G plugs as listed in the manual. And I know the gap is .043. I can't find any info. on the torque specs though.

Thanks

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The video on YouTube on how to change the plugs on a 02-07 mentions 21 ft/lbs. Can I assume that a 3.7 v6 from 2007 will have the same specs as a 2009?

100% Stock
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Woah! Got a hot thread here...

So, after watching the video for the 2007 and hearing him say the torque was 21 ft./lbs. and the box for the NGK plugs said that vehicles with aluminum heads should be torqued at 21 ft./lbs. I went ahead and set the torque at 21 ft./lbs.

I will say that it was an easier job than I thought it was going to be. The hardest part was getting the plug wires off the three plugs on the passenger side. Hard to get my fingers in there to grip the boot instead of the wire.

I've read in several places on this site that people have a hard time getting the 10mm bolts out on the driver's side when you remove the electronic distributors from the plugs. When you loosen the bolts they will feel like it should pull right out but you can't get it off the plug. All you have to do is grab the unit tight and pull hard straight up. The bolts have a captive collar on the end that won't come off and it makes it hard to pull the unit loose. Just give it a yank. You won't break anything.

Done deal. I cleaned the throttle body since I had the air box off and she is smooth as silk now. Good to go for another 30k.

100% Stock
Unread 07-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

This is real good information on the installation on the plugs.

Question: I know there is a thread on types of plugs, and J- Libs use the cheaper ones and run fine with them. I also know the e-3's are anything worth while, but was wondering if anyone has used platnum, iridium or pulsating plugs ( sparkplugs.com) and noticed any siginificant increase in efficency and power? OR if anyone has any legitimate tests they could share?

Thanks and apologize if I went off a tangent here.
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

My theory on spark plugs is to always go with what the factory installed. It was engineered to run with those plugs. If you want to pay more for precious metals the only advantage you'll get is being able to go longer between plug changes. No matter what you do, unless you make significant changes to the system elsewhere you are not going to change the plugs and discover that it runs so much better and more efficiently than it did when it was built and tested in a lab. Just my theory. Platinum plugs will not change your 190 hp daily driver into a 500 hp beast.

100% Stock
Unread 08-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I posted this on another thread as well, but figured since I mentioned it in this one I should put the pic here too.

This is the 10mm bolt that holds the coil pack down. It loosens but feels like you can't pull it out. Like I said, pull straight up with some force and it will pop free. The collar you see in the pic is crimped on the bolt and won't come off. The little flange on the bottom is what keeps it from coming off until you pull on it.

100% Stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.