2009 liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2009 liberty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 07-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #1
kyle0617

2009 liberty

Hey all, I recently inherited my wife's 2009 jeep liberty, my first jeep, however i am quite mechanically inclined.I always wanted a trail vehicle that will double as a dd. now a couple of questions. I have read, read, read, and re read many threads on it, I've also researched a boat load. My questions are what is some good links to aftermarket parts such as lifts, roof racks, bumpers, etc... Googling doesn't seem to bring anything up. I would really like a lift and some beefier meaty tires first and foremost. After reading a spacer lift seems to be wasteful so I'd like to do it right the first time. I have awhile to acquire all the parts though due to being stationed in Okinawa, Japan, and the jeeps back home. I would really like to make this dd trail capable, not necessarily rock climbing as much as trails in the woods, light mud, and all around fun times. Thanks in advance. I'm also in awe at all of these liberty's.

kyle0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Liberty09MN
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle0617 View Post
Hey all, I recently inherited my wife's 2009 jeep liberty, my first jeep, however i am quite mechanically inclined.I always wanted a trail vehicle that will double as a dd. now a couple of questions. I have read, read, read, and re read many threads on it, I've also researched a boat load. My questions are what is some good links to aftermarket parts such as lifts, roof racks, bumpers, etc... Googling doesn't seem to bring anything up. I would really like a lift and some beefier meaty tires first and foremost. After reading a spacer lift seems to be wasteful so I'd like to do it right the first time. I have awhile to acquire all the parts though due to being stationed in Okinawa, Japan, and the jeeps back home. I would really like to make this dd trail capable, not necessarily rock climbing as much as trails in the woods, light mud, and all around fun times. Thanks in advance. I'm also in awe at all of these liberty's.
Welcome! Not too sure what to recommend for a lift, I only have the spacers (for now!). But for bumpers and a roof rack, I would either check out AtTheHelm(on JeepForums), or Rock Lizard. For a dd and not so hard core off roading, I would recommend the Hankook Dynapro ATM's, had them on for three years almost(2 sets - 1st set slashed ) and they have gotten me through anything I've gone through/over... Snow, mud, fairly steep hills, etc. Also a very quiet tire for the tread they have imo. There's a lot to do, most of which you should be able to find somewhere in this forum, from big to small!
If you can't find it already posted, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction, or help you out themselves!

Hope things are going well for you in Japan, looking forward to seeing your Jeep and watching how it progresses! Once again, welcome!!
Liberty09MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
kyle0617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty09MN

Welcome! Not too sure what to recommend for a lift, I only have the spacers (for now!). But for bumpers and a roof rack, I would either check out AtTheHelm(on JeepForums), or Rock Lizard. For a dd and not so hard core off roading, I would recommend the Hankook Dynapro ATM's, had them on for three years almost(2 sets - 1st set slashed ) and they have gotten me through anything I've gone through/over... Snow, mud, fairly steep hills, etc. Also a very quiet tire for the tread they have imo. There's a lot to do, most of which you should be able to find somewhere in this forum, from big to small!
If you can't find it already posted, I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction, or help you out themselves!

Hope things are going well for you in Japan, looking forward to seeing your Jeep and watching how it progresses! Once again, welcome!!
Thanks for the quick reply! Things are going good over here! Just miss being home, really wish I could bring my 1990 mitsubishi jeep back with me though, unfortunately it would cost way too much. I may tear it down and bring the diesel eng out with me!
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
kyle0617

This is my current ride here in japan

image-2524597963.jpg
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
AtTheHelm

Check out Jeepinbyal.com for lifts. Just a simple old man emu lift works great, the only thing you need to add to that kit is front and rear bumpstops. Al's a arms aren't necessary for a while but at some point should be added. They advertise as 1.5" lifts but with the 927 and 731 springs about 2.75" of lift.
The 927s are a great spring rate (400lb) if you're adding a little weight like a bumper.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Make sure if you decide to do some wheeling have recovery points on your vehicle. Tires and rims I would say with a 16" rim for stock 235/70 or 225/75, or you could try 245/70. I personally like Michelin tires, but heard good things about General, BFG and Good Year Silent armor and Duratracks.
Good luck and welcome aboard
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
kyle0617

Thanks to all for the replies. I will be doing some fab on my own since I am a sheet metal mechanic in the Air Force. I will have to brush up on my welding though. I really just want a 2" lift for clearance of tires, I have no need to go higher. I plan on staying with a 16" rim, though, and after looking more throughout the forum I'm beginning to really like this plastidip application. Anymore info is greatly appreciated.
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

They basically covered everything. It's recommended to avoid spacer lifts and Rockyroadoutfitters also. If you were looking to purchase armor, etc. Check out Atthehelm's topics. He makes awesome bumpers(and they're pretty affordable). Rock Lizard http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/ is another great company for sliders and bumpers.

As far as lifts, it depends how high you want to go and how much you want to spend. Head to Jeepinbyal.com for quality lifts. He has his own adjustable coil over system that ranges from 2.5"-4" (but also from $1800-$4000) or you can opt for the Ironman or Old Man Emu lifts. Springs and shocks alone with those kits and the right springs will get you ~2.5" of lift for about $700 or so. Or you can add to them with a clevis lift and spacer plate to get around 3-3.5" of lift. You might want to upgrade your a-arms when you lift as well, which jba also has. Al's a-arms help with alignments and avoid contact with the springs when lifted.

Not sure if I missed anything or not, but feel free to ask any questions.
Bmxer524 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #9
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You really just need a 2.5" JBA lift and some correct tires to be fully trail capable. The KK does great without big or wide tires.

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.