2009 KK howl and thumping noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2009 KK howl and thumping noise

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 07-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
RB145
2011 WK 

2009 KK howl and thumping noise

I Have a 09 Liberty and I just started getting a howl and a faint thumping noise between 60 and 65 mph. below or above these speeds the noise goes away. although I do hear a slight thumping at 30 mph if you listen close. I am thinking this may have something to do with the tires as it seemed to start soon after having them rotated I went 17K between rotation. After this I had them road force balanced because of a slight vibration the vibration is gone but now I have this noise. I am wondering if this could be because of a wear pattern that had started and if it will go away over time. I have the 18" wheels with the Fortera tires. The thing is the tires look great I do not see any abnormal wear so I am not sure if the tires are causing this or could it be a wheel bearing or something in the front diff. I have 38K on this jeep. Any ideas?

RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i have same rims/tires as you do and i have 24k on my KK and last few thousand miles they did get considerably noisier. at 50-65 mph they are almost as noisy as the 32 inch mud terrain tires on my brothers JK. i guess all forteras are like this. not sure about the thumping noise...
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

17k is alot for rotation. I rotate mine no more than 6k and usually every 3k because there ATs. I'm thinking tires also due to lack of rotations
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.