2009 jeep liberty - wont start / wont even crank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2009 jeep liberty - wont start / wont even crank

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

2009 jeep liberty - wont start / wont even crank

So I bought my 09 liberty 4x4 sport 3 months ago and have had 0 problems with it since purchasing. Overall I am really liking the jeep.

However today I got out of work went to start the liberty and nothing happened. All that I get is a click , wont even crank at all. At first I thought it was my fault maybe left my lights on or something. However the lights were not dim at all , slider roof opened no problem , and everything else electrical was working fine. I tried to jump it anyway just in case. Still no luck. Tried switching from park to neutral to drive then starting again still no luck. When I did turn the key the dash lights would all turn off completely (i read that this is a good sign that the ignition is ok?) , again the headlights didnt dim at all.

Either way the end result was me calling roadside assistance and having my car towed to the dealer for the first time ever. The guy who picked it up had literally no clue what was wrong either. At this point I am just curious what else it could be. Perhaps others have had the same issues with 08/09/10 libertys? The thing is only 3 months old and 5000 miles on it.

aimetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

I had a issue with my 08 Liberty.Mine didnt even have a click,when I turned the key it did nothing as if no electrical was hooked up,but acc,.and lights worked.Mine turned out to be the WCM,wireless control module.Another clue is the remote didnt work.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

i thought it could be related to that, however my remote works fine (locking/unlocking doors etc)

perhaps its still some how related.
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Let us know what the problem was for future reference.
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #5
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

Well the dealer is being worthless. Havent even checked it out yet.

One thing that I cant wrap my head around is they will not provide me a loaner. They said chrysler does not provide this service. I called the dealer i bought the car from to confirm and they agreed. So they are telling me my brand new car w/ 5000 miles on it is a giant paper weight and I have no backup ?

Has anyone had the same issue before , good thing I have alternate transportation but seriously thats pretty low. I have never had a problem w/ my old cars (subaru / mazda etc) getting a loaner even for oil changes for the day.

I spent 25kish on a car and this is how they repay me :/

sorry for the rant. but ya as soon as i find out what it is ill let everyone know.
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Chrysler does not give out loaners.Unless you have extended Warranty,then you get a loaner.If you had a decent dealer,they would give you a loaner under goodwill.I had a dealer refuse me a loaner and I have extended Warranty.I called Chrysler and was told that they cant make dealer give me a loaner.I did get a loaner from Chrysler,but I had to do all the work.Chrysler is no doubt falling back on customer service.
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #7
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

ah did not know that. crazy how they say in the warranty book how much they stand by their product. so much so that they must have thought they would never need loaners lol.

Just shelled out 25k and the guy tells me i will need to rent a car. absurd.
Unread 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
journeyjim

2006 KJ Liberty 

Do libertys have the key chip? I had that happen on a VW the chip went bad and it wouldn't start, took the spare key and it started just fine.
The neutral safety switch or the brake interlock could have gotten out of adjustment, it's something simple. Have never owned a jeep that didn't have to go back for a few adjustments. As far a the loaner it depends on the dealer, my home dealer picks mine up and leaves me, his demo for the day, other dealers when traveling have either gave me a ride back to the campground, or a loaner that required a small deposit.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Yes the Liberty does have the chip in the key.If aimetti still has his Liberty,he could try the spare key..
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
Well the dealer is being worthless. Havent even checked it out yet.

One thing that I cant wrap my head around is they will not provide me a loaner. They said chrysler does not provide this service. I called the dealer i bought the car from to confirm and they agreed. So they are telling me my brand new car w/ 5000 miles on it is a giant paper weight and I have no backup ?

Has anyone had the same issue before , good thing I have alternate transportation but seriously thats pretty low. I have never had a problem w/ my old cars (subaru / mazda etc) getting a loaner even for oil changes for the day.

I spent 25kish on a car and this is how they repay me :/

sorry for the rant. but ya as soon as i find out what it is ill let everyone know.
In bold is why your not important enough for a loaner,not enough spent yet.Sadly it is true and it costs dealers a arm and a leg for loaner cars,they have them but maybe 5-10 at most so your lucky to get one(the high end cars owners they sell to get 1st dips,they spend more money).You may think it's bad customer service but if they gave a loaner to everyone they would have to pass the cost on to you customers which will raise prices on services.

Dealerships(and all other shops) are there to make money just like every other business(including where you work),what you expect will be a money loosing venture for any business.Just compare customer service from your cable,internet,phone,insurance,doctor,and everything else and there is no real difference.Bet people complain (behind your back or to your face) about what you do and your service/prices just like you complain about the dealership.
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

I can say that the original Chrysler Corporation use to be more liberal on loaners.I would never have a problem getting a loaner if my new car/truck had a problem.If they didnt have a car to give me,they would get a used car to give me transportation.Those days are gone.They can if they wanted to, give anyone a loaner if you been a long customer,like tjkj2002 said,the people who spend more, get better treatment.
Unread 01-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #12
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

Point taken for sure.

however , i buy a new car for the thing to work and not to have these problems. I do understand that the dealer the jeep went to may not be so nice to give me one as I didnt buy it there but I called the place where I purchased it (and my last car as well) and they straight up told me "no we dont do loaners". Well they lost my business in the future

as far as the key goes, i got my spare today and I will go down and test it.

Oh and also I called the main Chrysler complaint department and they helped me out a bit. Got the service manager to check it out this morning. So should find out something soon. He also said the dealers should be able to provide loaners even if its a demo or a car on the lot as they provide funds to the dealer per day on these loaners. The guy said if they dont cooperate they will provide me w/ a rental from enterprise or something paid for by Chrylser , which they dont normally do I guess.

So at least they seem to be taking care of me which is nice.

Last edited by aimetti; 01-14-2010 at 05:25 AM..
Unread 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

So , a little update.

Received a call from the dealer today saying my jeep was fixed. So i head on down and guy tells me that it was a simple blown fuse. First thing that popped into my head was what caused the fuse and that this is probably going to happen again. So I asked him , and he said everything else looked good let us know if you have any problems.

Sure enough i drive home and park my car. Couple hours later I go to start it and sure enough it doesnt start. Check the fuse myself and its blown. Put a replacement one in that the dealer gave me , tried again and instantly blown. So obviously something is shorting it out.

Tomorrow roadside assistance gets to come to my house this time and we can try round 2.

Awesome.
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

What circuit is the fuse for?It seems like the dealer didnt test it out to good.I hope this doesnt turn into a mess for you.Plus the dealer given you a fuse was not a good sign.Im starting to lose faith in dealers.I been reading a lot of complaints about dealers lately.Good Luck and let us know what happens.
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
aimetti
2009 KK Liberty 

I would have to check on the board, i didnt bother to look to much as it was dark. This whole situation wouldnt even really bother me if I could just get a loaner. They could keep the car for a few weeks as long as I had something to drive i wouldnt mind. I just hope this doesnt turn out to be a total disaster.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.