2008 vs 2009 reliability? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2008 vs 2009 reliability?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
arsebiscuits
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: wdm, iowa
Posts: 3
2008 vs 2009 reliability?

I am looking at buying either a 08 or 09 Liberty here in the next couple months and was wondering if there are any difference in terms of reliablity between the two years. I must admit, I'm apprehensive about buying a Jeep due to reliability concerns. However, after doing some research, the KK is a car that best fits my needs.

I am aware that 2008 is the first year for the redesign, were they any tweaks to common problems for the 2009 year model? Also, anything you can tell me about their reliability will be helpful.

Thanks for the help.

arsebiscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
otlip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: nj
Posts: 105
Hi,

I purchased a 2008 used from a dealer last June. I've had a few glitches, the biggest was the replacement of the gas tank. When fueling it would spit gas out of the nozzle after shutting off and the subsequent stink in the cabin was horrible. This was replaced for no charge 6-7 months later. I do have an extended warranty on the car and have not used it. Also the dealer replaced the tow button located on the console where the shift lever is for free.

One last glitch was that I turned the car on one afternoon and the windshield wipers would not turn off nor the headlights. When I tried to take it out of gear it wouldn't shift out of park. I just disconnected the battery and reset the computer and have not had the problem since.

Not a bad little machine, not good on gas 15-17 around town, 20 on extended trips.

Good luck
otlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
allskiing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: laurel, ny
Posts: 34
I would go with the 09...just my 2 cents
allskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Dave_B
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: mlps
Posts: 199
I have a 08 with 42,000 on it. Never been in the shop. It has been a good truck. They smoothed out the suspension on the 09 and up.

Dave
__________________
Lovin' my CARBON FOOT PRINT!
Dave_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
az16339
Registered User
2009 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 106
I second the vote for the '09. Somewhere on the forum there's a list of the changes made to the '09. It's long. Just reading that list should convince you that the value is in the '09. Sorry I don't know where the list is posted or how to find it.

Also, the number of posts on this forum about '08 problems far outnumber the '09 posts
az16339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
VMF
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 579
suspension and steering, thats pretty much it
and it has been discussed here before, pls use search button more.
08 is one year older and has more miles then 09. keep that in consideration. i was thinking about getting an 09 but the price difference was not justifiable for me. and 09s just didnt get into their problems, may they never will, i can only hope for that the biggest problem with 08s is the gas tank issue but chrysler seem to work with the owners, mine was changed free of charge. other then that the car is going strong and i love every second of driving it.
__________________
___________________________
2008 KK limited 4x4. Inferno Red
2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
arsebiscuits
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: wdm, iowa
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
suspension and steering, thats pretty much it
and it has been discussed here before, pls use search button more.
Yeah, sorry about that. I tried but the search function isn't the greatest on this site.
arsebiscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Elt31987
Senior Member
 
Elt31987's Avatar
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Stoneham, Massachusetts
Posts: 945
I believe the steering rack was created stronger on the 09 which is a very nice upgrade if true.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
2008 KK Liberty
Inferno Red
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
richd
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,101
I have a 08 KK,and had tons of problems,after I saw the upgrades in 09,made me think more that I wish I had a 09,here are the improvements between the 08-09:

The 2009 Jeep Liberty was retuned with rear axle and shafts, steering gear, springs, shocks, brakes, and anti-roll bars all getting tweaks. Floor mats and auto unlock became standard; the usual satellite radio option was added; and equipment packages were changed around. The Limited model was considerably enhanced to make the extra cost well worth it, with remote express-open front windows and, in Jeep’s words, “soft-touch door uppers, all monochrome/dark gray interior, soft door armrest, leather-wrapped shift knob, dual in-mold film for instrument panel and console and leather-wrapped parking brake, steering wheel and grab handles.”
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
arsebiscuits
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: wdm, iowa
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
I have a 08 KK,and had tons of problems,after I saw the upgrades in 09,made me think more that I wish I had a 09,here are the improvements between the 08-09:

The 2009 Jeep Liberty was retuned with rear axle and shafts, steering gear, springs, shocks, brakes, and anti-roll bars all getting tweaks. Floor mats and auto unlock became standard; the usual satellite radio option was added; and equipment packages were changed around. The Limited model was considerably enhanced to make the extra cost well worth it, with remote express-open front windows and, in Jeep’s words, “soft-touch door uppers, all monochrome/dark gray interior, soft door armrest, leather-wrapped shift knob, dual in-mold film for instrument panel and console and leather-wrapped parking brake, steering wheel and grab handles.”
Awesome, thanks a lot.
arsebiscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
BloodyShadow23
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 116
The only problem I face last winter was the horrible defrosters. For some reason the windshield defrosters are not powerful enough to reach the edges of your windshield and block your direct line of sight to your side mirrors as well. The rear window is fine. The only time I experienced this though was in the -19 degree Fahrenheit here in CO. I don't know if they fixed that in the '09s or not but since your from Iowa, just something to keep in mind.
__________________
2008 Liberty Sport - Chrome Grill, K&N CAI,
BloodyShadow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
allskiing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: laurel, ny
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyShadow23 View Post
The only problem I face last winter was the horrible defrosters. For some reason the windshield defrosters are not powerful enough to reach the edges of your windshield and block your direct line of sight to your side mirrors as well. The rear window is fine. The only time I experienced this though was in the -19 degree Fahrenheit here in CO. I don't know if they fixed that in the '09s or not but since your from Iowa, just something to keep in mind.
I think thats a problem in all the kks. The defrost vents dont go across the entire dash just part of it. Bad design.
allskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
marlon_jbt
Registered User
2010 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,133
KJs are the same way.
__________________
Red Jeep Club member # 264
marlon_jbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.