2008 Liberty Sport Sky slider...BE CAREFUL!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2008 Liberty Sport Sky slider...BE CAREFUL!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Jb71483
2008 KK Liberty 

2008 Liberty Sport Sky slider...BE CAREFUL!!!

Ok, so I was want to give everyone the heads up...My husband bought me a 2008 Jeep Liberty Sport in May of 2008 as a wedding gift since he was deploying to Iraq and he wanted to make sure I was ok in any type of weather ( we lived in NJ). Long story short, i have massive issues with the skyslider! It started with the noise when I would drive. I asked about it when I got my oil changed (at the dealership)and was told that it was normal. By the end of July beginning of August the velcro that holds the roof lining and the skyslider together; melted in the sun. I went to the dealership and asked them about it. They said it was not under warranty and that I would have to pay $250 to replace it. I decided not to get it replaced since I figured it would just melt again in the sun....it didnt make sense to me. Ive had to take in the Jeep twice to the dealership for the transmission...that part was covered luckily. In March 2010 my husband was re-stationed to Ft. Leavenworth in Kansas and we drove. Well in July of this year I was driving to the airport to pick up my niece and the skyslider apparently jumped the track. I didn't realize it until I was driving and picking up speed when the skyslider actually caved in and nearly hit my head. I must have hit 40 mph before it started flopping like crazy! I almost had a heart attack because it caught me so off guard. I just got off the phone with customer service (Jeep) today and they told me they cant help me because I have too many miles on the car. I could have been hit in the head with skyslider or caused an accident and yet thats not their problem. How is it not their problem that it just jumped the track like that?! They gave me the address for corporate and told me to write them a letter because I was the first isuue they had heard of. I told them to read this forum and to "inform" themselves. The gentleman apologized over and over but stated that there was nothing he could do. Granted I do have a lot of miles on the car but what military family doesn't?! I feel like I'm being punished for something I can't control! I wanted to make sure I told everyone because I don't want someone to get hurt. I hope that's not what it takes in order for them to make a Recall. If you are having issues with your roof and you are still under the 3yr/36,000 mile warranty, PLEASE do yourself a favor and call! It will cost me $2,000 to replace the skyslider and my car is already beginning to build mold. I am soo disgusted and disappointed with Jeep. I will be sending them a certified letter tomorrow BUT does anyone have any other ideas or advice? Any little bit helps. Thank you very much for your time and I apologize this was so long.

Jb71483 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

What happens with a open top like that.You must use a high level of maintenance or it will fall apart.Did you do any maintenance to it? wash it? Inspect it every month? If not well sorry your at fault since you did not do your part as the owner.
Unread 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
KUHawkhead
2008 KK Liberty 

Wow. That's a heck of story. The ONLY problem wehave had with my wife's 08 is the whistling noise at highway speeds, which was attempted to be fixed twice by Jeep (under warranty), and I finally fixed it for $4.99 and some foam insulation tape around the front of the rubber track.

One thing I do usually every three to four months when I detail out my wifes LIbby, is I open the top, and take a damp towel or rag and wipe out thetracks. I ususally then take some white lightening or other lubricant and spray a paper towel, and run it in the tracks.

We LOVE our sky slider and use it a lot. I am continually hoping that this thing will not be looked at as the WTF option in the future. So far, it seems like the majority of them do just fine, with only a very few of them having issues.

Best of luck. I know how frustrated it can be, as we had to have a 2007 Patriot bought back from us by Jeep. Keep on them, call, but if you're out of warranty, you are probably SOL. Talk to an attorney, as that never hurts. Letters from attorneys always receive more attention than letters from mere owners.
KUHawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Just want to say,I went to my dealer today,and I never mentioned the Skyslider.The Service Advisor pointed to a KK and said those Skysliders are a pain in the A-S
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Seadoodude
2008 KK Liberty 

My sky slider has broken twice, totally replaced once. Now the passenger side not gripping the screw cable and will not shut tight or open without going crooked and comes off the track. Broken again with only light use.

Has anyone come up with a replacement option, like a permanent fixed regular roof?
Seadoodude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
myfirstjeep1

Park under a tree. Have large branch fall on it. Covered under comprehensive. That's how mine was fixed. $50 deductible for me.
myfirstjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.