2008 Liberty Skyslider Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2008 Liberty Skyslider Issues

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
JFK2218
2008 KJ Liberty 

2008 Liberty Skyslider Issues

I just picked up an 08 liberty with skyslider top. I love the huge opening and read about the problem people are having with wind noise coming from the top when closed. Has anyone made a deflector as an aftermarket add-on to eliminate or reduce the noise? I saw a picture of a Honda Element with a canvass top similar to jeep's that had a deflector but but had no contact with owner to see if it was manufactured install or aftermarket and if it helps with the noise.

JFK2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #2
Mr_Nick

I was thinking of getting a universal sun roof air damn, but it would have to be the perfect size to wrap around the corners of the top without touching the body line and plastic molding on the roof.

If I find anything, I'll post.

(mine makes excessive noise at highway speeds, and I'm going to dealer soon for oil change, I'll see what they say about it)
Mr_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
CmdrK
2008 KK Liberty 

Here's the first page of the applicable service bulletin:

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 23-013-08, DATED APRIL 3, 2008, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED.
THE StarSCAN® FLASH FILES FOR THIS BULLETIN MUST BE RETRIEVED FROM
THE INTERNET.
StarSCAN® SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 9.03 OR HIGHER FOR THIS
BULLETIN.
StarMOBILE STANDALONE MODE OR StarMOBILE DESKTOP CLIENT MAY ALSO
BE USED TO PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.
SUBJECT:
Flash: Sky Slider Wind Noise or Sky Slider Wind Noise and Loss of Auto (Express) Mode
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves lubricating the Sky Slider front drive cables, replacing the Front
Header Bow and, in some cases, flashing the Sky Slider sunroof to correct wind noise or
wind noise and a loss of auto-open or auto-close (express) mode(s).
MODELS:
2008 - 2009 (KK) Liberty
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a Sky Slider sunroof (sales
code GWH) built before September 27, 2008 (MDH 0927XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The vehicle operator may experience excessive wind noise with the sunroof in the closed
position or excessive wind noise with the sunroof in the closed position and loss of “Auto
Mode” when operating Sky Slider sunroof. On vehicles built prior to January 16, 2008 Wind
noise can be caused by closing roof at speeds above 60 MPH (96 KMH).
NOTE: Export vehicles will not auto-close or auto-open while the ignition key is in
the accessory position.

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #145
LIBERTY LOVIN CLUB MEMBER #4
CmdrK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:24 PM   #4
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have one of these windy bass tards and it's going in (again) tomorrow because the rubber trim is peeling at both front corners almost 1/4".

The first time was because of the inside headliner peeling from the front. I expect wind noise from MY daily driver.
Unread 12-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
JFK2218
2008 KJ Liberty 

If anyone finds a plexi type shield/deflector that fits the width let me know, please. My searches so far are for the sunroof, not the skyslider which is wider than the sunroof.
JFK2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'll let you know at the end of the day what my stealership is proposing. I was happy with the red one with the sunroof and the offroad tow hook/skidplate package.
Unread 12-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

What's the TSB number? I want to reference that when I call the dealership. I didn't have any wind noise at first (may '08), but now I have a little bit of wind noise at interstate speeds.
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
naellis
2008 KJ Liberty 

I was one of the people having a problem with my skyslider, they had a recall of a sort and fixed it. Brought it back left it for a few hours. PERFECT NOW. There is minor wind noise, when going 80 or so, but the sort of wind noise you would expect driving a roof like that, or such as a convertible.
We had the Jeep up to 100mph and the only noise we get now is that which is associated with having a fabric top. In other words, the car is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH quieter and doesn't sound like your windshield is going to fly off.

We were considering crafting such a thing but I dont feel it would of helped much. The problem is the metal bar at the front was glued down and as weather changed it was seperating and allowing slight amounts of wind it. Now they have a new part with holes for it to be scrwed directly into the car and more recessed. What a difference. I would not take it on the dealer but instead have your service manager call about it, we go to Jeep in Woodland Hills, Ca. Feel free to have the service manager call over there, having you call will only lead on frustration on both ends most likely.

FYI, the TSB number is 23-013-08
naellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
REDL1NE

I work for a Chrysler dealer in Norman,OK and we have performed this TSB, but still noise. Is there anyone that makes a deflector for this problem?
REDL1NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #10
metallicjeep
2008 KJ Liberty 

My skyslider is now noisier then when I bought it, plus last week I took the Jeep through the car wash to get the road salt of it, and now my white headliner is all water stained front to back where it all leaked. Fired off an email to Chrysler, but I doubt I'll hear anything from them. Not very happy about this. This is my first Jeep and most likely my last
Unread 12-31-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
Mr_Nick

It says in the owners manual not to take the Sky Slider through automatic car washes that use high pressure nozzles.

I brought mine into the dealer last week for an oil change, and told him about the TSB. He said 'no problem' and ordered the necessary parts. We'll see how it goes when the parts come in.
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
metallicjeep
2008 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Nick View Post
It says in the owners manual not to take the Sky Slider through automatic car washes that use high pressure nozzles.

I brought mine into the dealer last week for an oil change, and told him about the TSB. He said 'no problem' and ordered the necessary parts. We'll see how it goes when the parts come in.

Where do you take your Jeep to be washed? Every car wash around here that you go through has pressure spray to it. I need to get the salt off of the Jeep somehow
Unread 12-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #13
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just spent a 2 hour trip in the ahem "fixed" slider liberty - my dealership fixed it with the TSB repair kit, but alas, the wind noise reared it's ugly head into a headwind yesterday (only going 70mph)

I don't know what to say - it's my wife's truck and she has to live with it - she will likely start bugging them again next week. I just can't stand the noise, but what's bugging me even a bit more (i'm a bit a nal retentive too) is the more they frig around with my jeep, (I've also had the header for the slider replaced due to the adhesive coming away from the front cross member) the more grubby little smudges I have to look at too from their mechanics. I should make them detail the headliner next time they're warrantying something else.
Unread 01-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
Mr_Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicjeep View Post
Where do you take your Jeep to be washed? Every car wash around here that you go through has pressure spray to it. I need to get the salt off of the Jeep somehow
There are a few automatic washes around here that use the big rollers wheels, and low pressure spray.

I always take my cars to a manual car wash, and when going around the Sky Slider, I just don't pull the trigger on the sprayer... so it doesn't spray as hard. Same thing around the window edges on my 1969 Cutlass, because they don't seal perfect.
Unread 01-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
KUHawkhead
2008 KK Liberty 

Good info all. We have an 08 Liberty and have noticed MORE wind noise now than in January 08 when we purchased it. We have NOT had any leak issues (I received a buy back on our 07 Patriot for leak issues).
KUHawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.