2008 Liberty A/C Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2008 Liberty A/C Noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-06-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
jpm6621

2008 Liberty A/C Noise

I have a 2008 Liberty with what i think is a A/C Compressor problem. When i am using the Air Conditioner or have it on and i put the Jeep in gear, mostly in reverse, there's this loud "clacking noise in the Engine Compartment (no noise with the A/C OFF). Has anyone else had this problem? Does the whole compressor need to be replaced or just some parts of it? The A/C when in use is very cold (works great) but this clacking noise is getting worse. I've read something about an AC Clutch or AC Clutch parts but i'm not sure what to do to fix this problem.

jpm6621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
jsburton84
2008 KK Liberty 

It is possible the bearings on the clutch are going bad. You replace just the clutch rather than the entire compressor. I would shop around because when this happened on my XJ I wound up replacing the entire compressor as the price was only slightly more than the clutch alone. The other reason I did this was because in order to replace the clutch I was going to have to purge the refrigerant anyways so I figured might as well do the whole thing.
Unread 09-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
JeepCares

Some things to think about (from the 2008 KK service manual):

A/C SYSTEM NOISE
When investigating an A/C system related noise, you must first know the conditions under which the noise occurs. These conditions include: weather, vehicle speed, transmission in gear or neutral, engine speed, engine temperature, and any other special conditions. Noises that develop during A/C operation can often be misleading. For example: What sounds like a failed front engine bearing or connecting rod, may be caused by loose bolts, nuts, mounting brackets or a loose compressor clutch assembly.

Drive belts are speed sensitive. At different engine speeds and depending upon drive belt tension, drive belts can develop noises that are mistaken for an A/C compressor noise. Improper drive belt tension can cause a misleading noise when the compressor clutch is engaged, which may not occur when the compressor clutch is disengaged. Check the accessory drive belt condition and tension as described in Cooling before beginning this procedure.

1. Select a quiet area for testing. Duplicate the complaint conditions as much as possible. Turn the A/C compressor On and Off several times to clearly identify the compressor noise. Listen to the A/C compressor while the clutch is engaged and disengaged. Probe the A/C compressor with an engine stethoscope or a long screwdriver with the handle held to your ear to better localize the source of the noise.
2. Loosen all of the compressor mounting hardware and retighten. Check the compressor clutch retainer. Be certain that the clutch field coil is mounted securely to the A/C compressor, and that the clutch plate and pulley are properly aligned and have the correct air gap.
3. To duplicate high-ambient temperature conditions (high head pressure), restrict the air flow through the A/C condenser. Install a manifold gauge set or a scan tool to be certain that the discharge pressure does not exceed 2760 kPa (400 psi).
4. Check the refrigerant system plumbing for incorrect routing, rubbing or interference, which can cause unusual noises. Also check the refrigerant lines and hoses for kinks or sharp bends that will restrict refrigerant flow, which can cause noises.
5. If the noise is from opening and closing of the high pressure relief valve, conduct the A/C Performance test and verify refrigerant charge level. 6. If the high pressure relief valve still does not seat properly, replace the A/C compressor.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #4
jpm6621

Took it to a dealer. First they said the oil filter wasn't right and was causing the noise. Then they said the ac compressor was bad which i thought also but replaced it which did nothing. The noise only happens when the a/c or heat is on, mostly when i put it in reverse but does it in drive and sometimes just in park when idling. I did take the belt off one day and moved it in the driveway and it didn't make the noise then. Can a bad tensioner make a noise like this?
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
jpm6621

Bad Belt which affected the tensioner and made a clacking sound.
Unread 09-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
AMITPATEL

Jeep liberty

Clucking noise is usually from belt tensionor known problem on jeep.
AMITPATEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.