2008 Liberty 3.7, Quick hitch & Tune up question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2008 Liberty 3.7, Quick hitch & Tune up question

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1er18 View Post
How does the drain on these radiators work? I'm going to drain/fill the coolant (50/50 mix oem HOAT & distilled water). I turned the drain tab 90 degrees and nothing came out. I'd imagine i need to pull on it now.... but wanted to check to make sure thats how its supposed to work before trying and breaking something
The drain plug (valve) is located on the left lower most point on the radiator. I bought a bottle prestone hoat, added the whole bottle and winn dixie distilled water. I removed the thermostat. Now she never warms up pass the center mark.....

Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 04:31 PM   #17
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Thanks man.

I found the drain (valve). Issue im having is that i turn it 90 degrees and nothing comes out. So i think i need to pull on it but not sure and don't want to break it.

I'm pulling the lower hose off just to be safe... but for future reference, how does the valve work? Do you turn it 90 degrees then pull or push?
Unread 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Thanks man.

I found the drain (valve). Issue im having is that i turn it 90 degrees and nothing comes out. So i think i need to pull on it but not sure and don't want to break it.

I'm pulling the lower hose off just to be safe... but for future reference, how does the valve work? Do you turn it 90 degrees then pull or push?
One and a half turn to the left until it stops. dont remove it. coolant will pour out. looks like muddy do do water
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

hmmmm... didnt seem like it wanted to go past 90 degrees. I'll have to keep that in mind when i do my next drain/fill. Thanks!
Unread 12-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #20
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Actually just went out there and tried it... works like a charm

I have a little trick with the lower hose where i slide the hose back almost to the point where it comes off, then i slide one of those inflation needs used for basketballs and stuff in the end to "wedge" it open a bit. It takes a while, but it prevents that gushing mess when you pop the hose off. And, now that i have the actual "valve" open, it drains faster using my method than out of the valve designed for it

With both sides draining, it should go a lot quicker now
Unread 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #21
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

The tow package from the factorys comes with 3.73 gears. Not a big deal if you do just bikes or small stuff. you may notice if you plan to tow near the max
armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #22
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Most i'll be towing with this is a small landscape trailer... assuming my 5.7L hemi commander is not available. And i plan on getting another full sized pickup truck in the near future (once the jeeps are paid off).

So yeah.... the hitch on the Liberty will only be "lightly" used

Edit: The hitch also works as a good tow point... so it'll come in handy when we toy around in the snow.
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #23
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty View Post
The drain plug (valve) is located on the left lower most point on the radiator. I bought a bottle prestone hoat, added the whole bottle and winn dixie distilled water. I removed the thermostat. Now she never warms up pass the center mark.....
Just to inform you Prestone does not make HOAT coolant,all of there coolants are OAT coolants(AKA Dexacool) and will eat your waterpumps impeller.

Only Valvoline makes HOAT coolant,sold as Zerex GO5.Any Chrysler dealer or Ford dealer will also have the correct HOAT coolant.
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

What stores carry the valvoline HOAT?

I ended up buying 2 gallons from the dealer and it was VERY expensive.... but i couldn't find any "HOAT" at my local auto parts stores (Pep Boys, Strauss and Autozone).
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #25
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
What stores carry the valvoline HOAT?

I ended up buying 2 gallons from the dealer and it was VERY expensive.... but i couldn't find any "HOAT" at my local auto parts stores (Pep Boys, Strauss and Autozone).
Mostly carried at Napa under the label of Zerex GO5.It's cheaper at Ford also as they required HOAT coolant also.

Unread 12-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #26
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Awesome thanks!

There's a Napa not too far from me.... it's a bit out of the way but still closer than a Chrysler dealer. I'll swing by there when its time to change the coolant on my commander
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #27
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

why do you change coolant so soon? was it really dirty? i have 27k on me jeep, and i wonder if i should do it as well
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #28
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

It's very easy to do and cheap insurance.

For my jeeps, i'll do a quick drain/fill every 30k when i change my spark plugs (which will be about every 2 years).

I used to be an ASE tech and have seen some nasty coolant that was still within the time frame before the OEM recommended changing it (all brands, not just Chrysler).

So i don't like bringing any of the "critical" fluids to their full life. Keep in mind that its not like the fluid magically goes bad after 100k miles, there is always some degradation. A quick drain/fill of the coolant every 2 years or 30k miles will help ensure you always have "good" fluid... it sure couldn't hurt anything (if done right)

I'll also change my diff, trans and t-case fluids based on the "abusive" maintenance schedule that's spec'd for fleet vehicles.

Being that I do all my own maintenance, it's a bit easier to assume the costs of this "increased" maintenance schedule.... I won't be dropping my jeep off a dealer for this work
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #29
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
why do you change coolant so soon? was it really dirty? i have 27k on me jeep, and i wonder if i should do it as well
Every year is a bit extreme.I'm extreme with my maintenance and mine get's changed every 3 years along with radiator hoses and t-stat.

My schedule is................

oil/filter----3k no matter what

Trans----15k,filters every 30k

t-case----every 6k,granted I use 20w50 motor oil(do not use in your t-case)

Rear diff----every year regardless of mileage

Front diff----every 2 years regardless of mileage,I do have manual locking hubs so it only turns when I lock the hubs

Coolant----every 3 years regardless of mileage,plus radiator hoses and t-stat

Brake fluid----every 2 years regardless of mileage

PS fluid----every 2 years regardless of mileage

PCV valve----every year

Spark plugs----every year

Fuel filter----every 30k(I still can do this on my KJ)

Air filter----gets washed every oil change,AEM Dryflow filter

Grease----every oil change as I have 38 grease zerks,every week for my CTM's

Rotate and balance tires---every 2k

Alignment----every oil change(3k)
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #30
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

that's one hell of a schedule you have there man!!!

An alignment every oil change is a bit much.... although i used to love the "toe and go" customers that wanted an alignment more than needed

Same thing with the rotate and balance. Rotation every 5-6k miles is plenty. Really don't need a re-balance unless you have a vibe issue. And if tires need balancing after a single rotation then there's a problem with either the tire, shocks, or alignment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.