2008 belt replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2008 belt replacement?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #1
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

2008 belt replacement?

Hey all...Ive been noticing some dimming of headlights and plus my libby is at almost 70,000 miles...so Im going to replace the serpentine belt...it looks rather worm and im assuming its a bit stretched....how can I tell if it's too loose? Also...I cant seem to find any information/videos online to assist me with this installation...does anyone have any tips or even links to a video or discussion? All I can find is 2007 and newer information.

Thanks!

jrich58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
tonym9107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich58
Hey all...Ive been noticing some dimming of headlights and plus my libby is at almost 70,000 miles...so Im going to replace the serpentine belt...it looks rather worm and im assuming its a bit stretched....how can I tell if it's too loose? Also...I cant seem to find any information/videos online to assist me with this installation...does anyone have any tips or even links to a video or discussion? All I can find is 2007 and newer information. Thanks!

I tried to replace mine and i had the tensioner pulley pulled as far as possible and still no luck getting the new belt on. If you find a way please share. And yes i do have the right size belt
tonym9107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #3
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

You're definitely due for a belt change. It's actually very easy. Easier with two people, but can be done with one.
Let me see if I can get a picture for you.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Unread 11-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #5
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

thanks again Gageraid....should I attempt this myself? I was quoted $101 including tax by a local Midas. I would be doing it myself...and the sun going down before I get home isn't helping. Or should I just let Midas do it?

Is it all done from the top, or do I need to get under the Jeep too?
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you do not have HD cooling(mechanical fan added) it takes less then 5mins to change.Get a quality Gates EPDM belt and change the tensioner(whole unit) as they wear just like the belt does(internal spring).Takes about 5min to change the tensioner after the belt is removed.Just need a 15mm and 13mm to remove the belt and OEM tensioner.

Midas will use a ultra cheap poly belt that may only last 20k-30k at best.
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

I just don't want to get the old one off and not be able to get the new one on...I need my Jeep to drive to work tomorrow, etc..haha. Is it done just through the engine bay, or do I need to get under the Jeep too?
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich58 View Post
I just don't want to get the old one off and not be able to get the new one on...I need my Jeep to drive to work tomorrow, etc..haha. Is it done just through the engine bay, or do I need to get under the Jeep too?
Easily done through the engine bay,hood open.If you get the correct belt it will go on with no trouble.It takes me longer to open the back to get the tools out then change the belt.

Go to Napa and buy the parts(Napa belts are made by Gates).
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Do it yourself. You do NOT need a new tensioner, just a belt.
Took me 15 mins. 5 to change the belt, and the other 10 mins my arm was stuck.
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Do it yourself. You do NOT need a new tensioner, just a belt.
Took me 15 mins. 5 to change the belt, and the other 10 mins my arm was stuck.
It's always a good idea to change the tensioner when you change the belt.The tensioner has a internal spring that does wearout just like the belt does.

I've seen it way to many times you change the belt then a few thousand miles later the tensioner(and/or pulleys) go out destroying your new belt and possibly worse like a severely overheated engine and dead battery.
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Okay, haven't heard of that with a KK yet since it has an automatic belt tensioner.
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
Okay, haven't heard of that with a KK yet since it has an automatic belt tensioner.
Auto tensioners have a internal spring,they do wearout(get weak).My KJ and your KK uses the same tensioner.Just think of your tensioner as your coil springs,they sag after time as the tensioner weakens after time.

Manual tensioners you don't change out unless the pulley bearing goes but no manual tensioners on any KJ/KK.
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
jrich58
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks for all the help guys, I am going to tackle this myself tonight....wish me luck!
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Auto tensioners have a internal spring,they do wearout(get weak).My KJ and your KK uses the same tensioner.Just think of your tensioner as your coil springs,they sag after time as the tensioner weakens after time.

Manual tensioners you don't change out unless the pulley bearing goes but no manual tensioners on any KJ/KK.
Thanks for the info. I'll change it when it fails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.