2 wd or 4 wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 2 wd or 4 wd

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
avatr
2012 KK Liberty 

2 wd or 4 wd

I'm curious - how many 2 wheel drives vs 4 wheel drives are on here? if you have a 2 wd, have you lifted it? more aggressive tires? drive it on the beach or off-pavement?

avatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
nfodzy
2011 KK Liberty 

Not bashing anyone that drives a 2 wheel drive, but I don't see the point of it. If you want it, buy a car or van. Generally when you're buying a vehicle with more ground clearance, it's best to get it with 4 wheel drive.
nfodzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #3
BillyP

4WD here - not allowed to take a 2WD on any of the beaches around here (NC coast.)
BillyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Don't the 4wd and 2wd have the same clearance? Also unless you have select trac your in 2wd all the time.

I bought 4wd because I want to wheel it and not because I need it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #5
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

I have a 2WD (High School Graduation gift) and I have the JBA 2.5" lift kit on it, as well as running boards, the Jet headlights, and a Steelcraft Bull Bar. Since I am still on my parent's insurance, and they would kill me if I took it off roading (still want too) the lift was mostly because I needed a new suspension anyway and like the look better. Regular Limited Edition 17" wheels and tires.
taylorgrandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:06 AM   #6
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER View Post
Don't the 4wd and 2wd have the same clearance? Also unless you have select trac your in 2wd all the time.

I bought 4wd because I want to wheel it and not because I need it.

They should. They measure ground clearance from the lowest point, which on any vehicle with solid axles(unless you're running portals....) is the diff.

Technically the only way to gain more is going up in tire size(every 2" you go up in diameter, you gain an inch or lift/ground clearance for the axle), which leads to suspension/body lifts to fit the larger tires. Lifts only help run larger tires and help get ground clearance on the body and chassis.

Anyways, on topic, I have 4wd. Command-trac to be exact. It wouldn't be a Jeep without 4wd
Unread 04-04-2014, 04:01 AM   #7
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I owned a 2wd Jeep. Funny though. I bought it brand new at a Jeep dealer :-p

Unread 04-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER View Post
Also unless you have select trac your in 2wd all the time.
That is not true. When you have select track it's 2wd unless you flip the switch, just like command trac.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using JeepForum
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
mrbeal
2011 KK Liberty 

A friend of ours has a 2WD Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's several years old and watching her try to drive up our snow/ice covered driveway cracked me up. She got to a point that she was sliding backwards and all I could think to myself was "hurry up and pull the 4X4 lever up so you can drive up my driveway". Well, she didn't pull the lever up because there wasn't one. When she got out of the Jeep I asked her about it and that's when she told me that her husband bought it for her when they were in Texas and in Texas you don't need 4x4 so the Jeep dealers sell a lot that aren't because they are so much cheaper. So, lesson learned... if you buy a Jeep down south leave it down south when you move to New England.
BTW, mine is 4WD, I wouldn't have it any other way.
mrbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunolambert View Post
That is not true. When you have select track it's 2wd unless you flip the switch, just like command trac.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using JeepForum
What I meant was the majority of the KK owners have Command trac which is 2wd unless you flip the switch to 4wd. To use 4wd with Command Trac you have to be on loose terrain.

I meant people with Selec Trac can run 4wd all day with no problems.

So majority of us stay in 2wd all the time unless we are wheeling or conditions call for it. I've actually needed 4wd once for the first time in my life this past Winter. It handled beautifully.
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
avatr
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbeal View Post
.... and in Texas you don't need 4x4 so the Jeep dealers sell a lot that aren't because they are so much cheaper. So, lesson learned... if you buy a Jeep down south leave it down south when you move to New England......
yep - most around San Antonio are 2WD, rarely see a 4WD. I never heard of the Sky Slider roof either. that must be a northern thing. of course it gets so hot 8 months out of the year - you'd never have it open.

bmxer - It wouldn't be a Jeep without 4wd ..... that's not what my VIN says....
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

Mine had the Skyslider - I bought it used but the CarFax shows the original dealer as Houston. They're just very rare.
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
avatr
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgrandorf View Post
Mine had the Skyslider - I bought it used but the CarFax shows the original dealer as Houston. They're just very rare.
cool! I shopped for 6 months craigslist, local dealers, AutoTrader and Carmax - never saw one.
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #14
taylorgrandorf
2008 KK Liberty 

It's a good thing and a bad thing - I just dropped $3000 to get it fixed
Unread 04-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
avatr
2012 KK Liberty 

ouch!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.