'12 KK Shuttering - not vibration - issue when at 2,250 RPM - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > '12 KK Shuttering - not vibration - issue when at 2,250 RPM

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!TJ BDS 2" suspension lift!! FINALLY a GREAT 2" l

Reply
Unread 03-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Mattyvac
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
'12 KK Shuttering - not vibration - issue when at 2,250 RPM

My '12 KK has developed a 'shuttering' issue at 2,250RPM between 60 and 80MPH. It does not do it at 2,000RPM and does not do it at 2,500 RPM or above. It feels like the engine is at the top of its RPM range for that gear and is trying to change over but is stuttering/shuddering while trying to do so.

Even if I hold my speed exactly to where the engine doesn't change over- it will intermittently keep 'shuddering' for 1-2 seconds every few minutes.

This is not a vibration- which the KK does have a mild shake above 70mph - but more of a sudden shudder that stops.

Could this be the transfer case? I recently changed out the TC fluid and put in ~4qts instead of the ~2qts it came with from the factory.

Any ideas?

UPDATE 1:

This only happens when the A/C is on. It does not happen when it's off. Could there be a bad ground somewhere?

UPDATE 2:

Problem fixed, see post below.

Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
lfhoward
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Morrisville, PA
Posts: 626
The torque converter is part of the transmission, but it sounds like you changed your transfer case fluid. (Both have the initials TC so I can see how that's confusing.) It is fine to fill the transfer case up to the hole (takes more fluid than the factory used), but not ok to mismatch the automatic transmission fluid level. The auto transmission fluid needs to be changed at a dealer or at a mechanic shop that has the special equipment needed to check the fluid level and temperature. Did you change/add your auto trans fluid yourself? I don't think changing the transfer case fluid could cause the shudder you describe.
__________________
2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
lfhoward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
Mattyvac
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
The torque converter is part of the transmission, but it sounds like you changed your transfer case fluid. (Both have the initials TC so I can see how that's confusing.) It is fine to fill the transfer case up to the hole (takes more fluid than the factory used), but not ok to mismatch the automatic transmission fluid level. The auto transmission fluid needs to be changed at a dealer or at a mechanic shop that has the special equipment needed to check the fluid level and temperature. Did you change/add your auto trans fluid yourself? I don't think changing the transfer case fluid could cause the shudder you describe.
Sorry I meant transfer case, don't know why I typed torque converter. I corrected it above.

No I did not touch the auto trans as I know that's a dealer job.
Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
JeepCares
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 2,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyvac View Post
My '12 KK has developed a 'shuttering' issue at 2,250RPM between 60 and 80MPH. It does not do it at 2,000RPM and does not do it at 2,500 RPM or above. It feels like the engine is at the top of its RPM range for that gear and is trying to change over but is stuttering/shuddering while trying to do so.

Even if I hold my speed exactly to where the engine doesn't change over- it will intermittently keep 'shuddering' for 1-2 seconds every few minutes.

This is not a vibration- which the KK does have a mild shake above 70mph - but more of a sudden shudder that stops.

Could this be the transfer case? I recently changed out the TC fluid and put in ~4qts instead of the ~2qts it came with from the factory.

Any ideas?
Hey Mattyvac
Have you had the vehicle checked for any stored codes?
__________________
Andrea
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
Mattyvac
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hey Mattyvac
Have you had the vehicle checked for any stored codes?
No- but I have a plan to do so if I can't find an answer on my own.

UPDATE:

This only happens when the A/C is on. It does not happen when it's off. Could there be a bad ground somewhere?
Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Gageraid
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Branchburg, New Jersey
Posts: 1,483
How many miles? May need to change your spark plugs.
__________________
OME lift
Hypertech Max Energy
CAI, Gibson exhaust, 4.7L throttle body
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #7
Mattyvac
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
How many miles? May need to change your spark plugs.
56k miles and I changed the Sparks at 30k with pregapped e3 plugs

Time for a new set? It does kinda feel like a misfire but it only happens when the AC is drawing power
Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
yzf125
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: , New York
Posts: 53
Everyone says you have to use OEM plugs, They are NGK-ZFR6F-11G gapped at 0.043 Would be time to change them anyway at 56K.
yzf125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #9
Mattyvac
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
Problem Fixed!

I drove to autozone to buy new spark plugs and the jeep wouldnt start on the way out. Dead battery.

Put in a new optima red top and 6 brand new NGK 11G sparks and the engine runs like new. No more shutter or vibrations.

Guess it was just an power problem.
Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.