'11 liberty roof rack question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > '11 liberty roof rack question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-11-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

'11 liberty roof rack question

I recently bought a slightly used 11 liberty from a dealer in my area. I need a roof rack for hauling kayaks but I realized that i have two solid rails on either side no cross bars. I'm trying to find something that will attach to the solid rails but not having much luck... Are there any racks that use these side rails or do i need the other style side rails? I'm hoping that i can use these to save $!!!!

sreno0207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Zurfy
2014 KL Cherokee 

Are they the stock rails? If so, then you may want to think about replacing them. They are not very sturdy. Take a look at http://www.rocky-road.com.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Zurfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

yes it is a stock rail... i wont be putting too much weight up so i am confident with the rails. I just need to know if someone makes a system for my rails. They are solid not the normal rails you would see on say the WJ or XJ and there are no crossbars.
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

anyone????????
Unread 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

You live in Pittsburg, check out REI store or rei.com . This outfitter sells roof racks Yakima and Thule. You can go to the either manufacturers website but REI will have a better price and guarantee for it life. Rocky-Road makes some really nice roof racks too :]
Poncherello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

i know where i can get a rack i just need to know if the stock rails will support their mounting system? I don't have the traditional rails i have two solid black plastic perpendicular rails more like molding than normal stock rails.
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
WaveTrekker

I have the same car - a 2011 Liberty with the flush side rails. Like you, I searched & searched & searched, and didn't find anything that would be guaranteed to securely grip onto those rails. There's no secure attachment for a crossbar (like a hole or something), and if you wiggle the rails hard enough, you can pry them up. I peeled mine off and found that they are hollow plastic, attached to a second plastic molding that is held on by 3M foam tape or something. I really don't think they'd be safe to use for hauling anything. Even if you found crossbars that somehow attached by using a vice-grip style clamp, I wouldn't trust the rails to be sturdy enough. I decided to buy the steel roof rails from rocky-road.com (http://www.rocky-road.com/kjrails.html). They'll bolt on and be more secure, and I can throw some crossbars on pretty easily. Your other option is to buy the stock raised rails, which will probably fit your Liberty better. I've seen them selling for about $179 on different websites.

-One note, if you peel up the side rails like I did, expect to have a lot of the foam tape still stuck onto the car, and you'll also have 4 upright screws that are welded onto the frame of the Liberty. It's not a pretty sight. I'm hoping to find some 1.5 inch black molding that I can use to cover up the foam remnants, then attach the Rocky Road rails on top of it, creating a cleaner look.

Good luck!
WaveTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

nice! thanks i'll prob end up going with the rocky-road rack! Im assuming that the rack mounts the bolts welded to the frame?
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
WaveTrekker

Yeah, that's right. The welded-on bolts fit the pre-drilled holes pretty well, but the base of the steel racks don't contour perfectly with the roof of the car - so it leaves a little to be desired, unfortunately. A rectangular rubber gasket may do the trick... I just have to find one.
WaveTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveTrekker View Post
Yeah, that's right. The welded-on bolts fit the pre-drilled holes pretty well, but the base of the steel racks don't contour perfectly with the roof of the car - so it leaves a little to be desired, unfortunately. A rectangular rubber gasket may do the trick... I just have to find one.
cool thanks man!!! im def getting this one! i'll probably end up with the adventure rack as well!
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
nursechocolate

in australia, i purchased a Thule Aero system.. Hauled my 60kg 3 person kayak fine :-)
nursechocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #12
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

As another poster noted, the '11 roof rails aren't rails at all. They are actually just a molding that runs down the lines of the rails. You can get actually buy OEM full roof rails for your '11 Libby from either your dealer or the Mopar parts website. They are just like the rails on the '08 and '09 Libbys. If you do put on new rails, no matter the kind, be sure to leave the under molding (that strip of plastic that is 3M taped to the roof) on the vehicle. Just take the hollow top molding off, and leave the bottom strip attached. If you don't you will be left with an ugly, unfinished gutter along the roof line that you will end up having to fill.

Unfortunately, I can't give you tips on how to do that, I have an '08 libby, it came with proper rails. But I know from here and from the LOST forums that you do not want to remove that flat bottom part of the molding.

Good luck!
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
sreno0207
2011 KK Liberty 

thanks man i've decided to go with the rocky road bars and adventure rack. I'd rather have steel than plastic bars! lol
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
GoodPrepper

Any pictures? I'm about to order the RRO rails and remove my plastic "fake" ones.

Just to be clear, there are already holes drilled to attached real rails right?
GoodPrepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

I'm gonna guess you have a skyslider? 2011s do come with the "real rails" but with the skyslider option it deletes them and gives that solid plastic trim piece.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.