JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   100k on my KK (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/100k-my-kk-1338420/)

SuperRliBerty 03-05-2012 09:19 AM

100k on my KK

1 Attachment(s)
On friday, I watched my Libby clicked over to 100k on the odometer:thumbsup:

It has been a joyous and rewarding four years. To get to that mileage in my libby, I did:

- 60+ oil changes.

- 8 spark plug changes

- 2 transmission fluid changes.

- 2 differential fluid changes.

- 1 serpertine belt change. (the rayco belt has a crack when I checked it last week)

- 2 coolant fluid changes.

- 4 battery changes

- 1 set of tire changes. (The goodyear wranglers are not the best tires for my libby. Switched MT's)

Never broke down on me and left me stranded (only when the batteries failed:mad:)

Never over heated:2thumbsup:

Never spent more than a day at satan's lair (dealer). While under warranty, the pos battery failed, had it towed to satan. Got a her back with a new battery the next day.

I am thinking about mating her with a Hennessey Jeep SRT8 .....

onegoodpunk 03-05-2012 11:06 AM

Good info and good to know these will last. Mine is an 08 with only 38k on it.

bagwell 03-05-2012 11:07 AM

cool, congrats!

nice to see someone posting a positive experience instead of horror stories.:cool:

eoerikson3 03-05-2012 11:14 AM

Very nice. I am hoping to enjoy similar reliability with my 11 KK.

SuperRliBerty 03-05-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagwell (Post 13178989)
cool, congrats!

nice to see someone posting a positive experience instead of horror stories.:cool:

Absolutely! had a positive experience! well recommend a libby to a first time buyer. Let them know that it has a two valve, push rod 3.7L that drinks gas like cheap beer.....

I will keep my Libby..

Irishgrrrl78 03-05-2012 11:36 AM

As a first-time KK buyer, I find this SO encouraging! Thanks for posting! :cheers2:

SuperRliBerty 03-05-2012 11:52 AM

I strongly advise that you stick with the maintenance schedule!

I use my Libby daily, so I shorten the mileage in between service.

Auto manufacturers have the techonology to build an engine to last and never have to be rebuilt! but that would not be profitable to them.

My son is 9, so I am hoping this will be his daily driver:laugh:

SuperRliBerty 03-05-2012 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Other high mileage Jeeps

Friday, June 11, 2010
My JEEP: 250K Mile Strong!

My 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee has reached a major milestone... 250,000 miles! Over the years she has treated me well, with no unexpected major repairs (rebuilt the transmission at 200K... certainly not unexpected!). The raptor silhouettes were made for me by travel client and friend Ginny Blanz. They have been on my Jeep for at least 5 years.
Attachment 357869

Proof of the achievement! This is my third Jeep. I have owned Jeeps since 1983, before Chrysler bought AMC. My first was a Jeep of classic design, a CJ-7. I sold it at 100K to buy my first Cherokee Laredo, which I sold at 212K miles!

Amazingly, even with over 250,000 miles my Grand Cherokee gets better gas mileage than every current model of equal size, and better than many of small proportion that claim to have 'economical' engines! Why is that?

I know I will need to replace my trusty SUV eventually, but until I find one that can out perform my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I will hold on to her! Nothing beats her for carrying all my photo and birding equipment, kayaks and bikes and lots of friends!

photos and text Kevin Loughlin

SuperRliBerty 03-05-2012 01:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Chrysler has been building engine for almost a hundred years, so I am sure they have the know how to make an engine last 1 million miles!

One thing I know, frequent oil changes helps and promotes longevity of an automobile engine.

The Grosvald’s 301,000-mile 1992 Jeep Cherokee

by Steve and Mary Kay Grosvald (edited by Bill Cawthon)

Our 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo was delivered new as my company car. When I left the firm I purchased it, since we have large dogs and it’s the perfect vehicle for our needs. Since then we’ve enjoyed over 300,000 miles of generally trouble-free driving [301,225 miles as of November 18, 2010]. The Jeep is primarily my wife’s car.
Attachment 357890
I’ve always enjoyed tinkering with cars. Our other car – “mine” – is a 1986 Toyota Supra, also in great condition with only 127,700 miles.
Attachment 357891
Other than the first year or so, I’ve done all the oil changes and lube jobs. Since it’s a 4x4 I want to make sure all the lube points are properly serviced. About the time it hit 150,000 miles I began replacing one quart at each oil change with a quart of Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I use 5 Minute Motor Flush before every oil / filer change. It’s paid off: no engine problems and the acceleration is as good as new. Spark plugs are changed every 24 months and none come out oily, just light to medium tan. I change the coolant every 2-3 years.

Over the years I’ve installed two radiators, put in a couple of thermostats, two oxygen sensors, replaced the valve cover gaskets, a heater control valve, an idler pulley, spark plug wires, distributor caps, rotors and assorted hoses.

I had Goodyear or Jeep install couple of water pumps, an alternator, Monroe shocks, brake jobs, and serpentine belt replacements (though I’ve done that once as well). I also had one pitted windshield replaced, and a couple of mufflers and one catalytic converter professionally installed.

Major work by the Jeep dealer has included replacement of the air conditioner compressor and related parts, the main oil seal, wheel alignments, and similar work.

About five years ago our car was stolen and, unbelievably, found by the police within about eleven hours. The thieves had broken into the fixed wing window on the driver’s side and smashed the trim on the steering column to start the car with a screwdriver. Until then I didn’t realize how easy it was.

We got a call from the police at 3:00 AM that our car had been found. We immediately drove to the site where the police had caught the suspects. After a few days of starting it with the screwdriver I studied the procedures to fix the damaged parts associated with the ignition switch. It required a parts kit called a rack kit C – cost about $65 and working slowly with the Jeep provided diagrams and photos it took me about three days to fix. I learned a lot about tilt steering wheels, wheel pullers and compression rings. But mainly I learned I don’t want to do that job again. Nonetheless it was an interesting experience.

I keep the cosmetics in very good condition and have used Armor All for decades. One of my mainstays for replacement parts is A1 Chrysler, in north Tulsa. It’s a great bone yard and I’ve been able obtain parts to fix or update the Jeep. In addition to obtaining the replacement wing window and overhead power lock circuit board which the thieves had smashed, (I had to order a new after-market remote using the code on the circuit board), here are a few other items I’ve purchased there:

I backed into a post and dented the rear bumper and one of the taillights. A1 to the rescue: Replaced the tail light with a good-as-new one. Found a perfect gold rear bumper and end caps. Sanded, primed, and painted them Jeep silver and we were back in business.

Recently I’ve replaced the old windshield washer bottle, passenger seat belt receiver, and several other parts. Also after 18 years of my wife using a clip on battery operated clip-on vanity mirror on her sun visor, I found one with a built in electric mirror in a 1995 Jeep at the bone yard. The big surprise was that when I pulled out the old visor, I found the exact wiring and connector sitting up there. So it’s obvious the same wiring harness was used on several models and years.

I’ve also removed and repainted the fender flares. It’s a pretty easy job and they look great.

Two months ago I took the plunge and tried something new: I pulled out the headliner and replaced it. Just a two-day job using tips I got on the Internet.

Perfect replacement headliner material with foam backing is available at JoAnn’s fabric store. I used Permatex heavy-duty headliner and carpet spray adhesive. You need 1.5 cans for a Jeep. Most work involved removing, scraping, sanding old foam from the headliner. As compared to the same job for a sedan, this was easier since after removing trim, shoulder belt bolts and electrical connectors, you can pull it straight out the back. Looks great.

As to updating systems, we love music and the OE radio and especially the dried out speakers were pretty tough on the ears. In 2008 I installed a new Kenwood head unit with CD, USB and Aux inputs. I purchased and soldered a Jeep wiring connector to the Kenwood harness and it was pretty easy to do the install. I replaced the old weather-beaten speakers with four Infinity Kappa 5.25-inch and applied Dynamat Extreme around and behind the speakers. Sounds sensational.

As to trips – well we’ve taken a number of fun rides: To dog shows in Arkansas, Kansas, Texas and other parts of Oklahoma. A family-related trip to New Mexico was a lot of fun. Another long haul about 12 years ago was to Montana for my wife’s family reunion.

On the way home we visited Mt. Rushmore (incredible experience) and, best of all, we stopped at our favorite breeder of Great Pyrenees and picked up two wonderful puppies as our previous Pyrs had passed away of old age. Sadly those two have also passed on and we have two more, the youngest a one-and-a-half-year-old male who now weighs 123 lbs. So the Jeep is definitely his “limo.”

Of course the older Jeeps are truck-like so it’s more noisy and bumpy than today’s sedan-like SUV rides. But this has been a great car and we live in a hilly area of Tulsa so during those few weeks of snow and ice the 4WD is worth every penny and works like a dream to get us safely to and from home.

It’s hard to believe we’ve rolled over 300,000 miles in this Jeep, but with the rare exception of a couple of flat tires and one bad fuel pump, it’s never let us down. That inline six 4.0-liter engine is just about bulletproof.

Here are some photos from the day we turned 300,000 miles. I had a banner made up at Office Depot and took the car to the Jeep dealer where we have the heavy maintenance work done. In the photo, that's me on the left and John Medina - our terrific Service Rep on the right.
Attachment 357892

SuperRliBerty 03-05-2012 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Routine engine maintenance helps alot.

Bill Robinson’s 500,000-mile 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

by Jessie Eustice (October 2009, updated February 2011)

In life, some folks seek the most comfortable route, and some folks seek challenge. Bill Robinson is that second kind. That must be why Robinson bought his fifth or sixth Jeep as a project — a used white 1995 Grand Cherokee with 118,010 miles when he bought it in 2001, known to Robinson’s family as “The Gerbil” for the way it smelled when the weather was wet.

Robinson calls himself “just a goober” and says he is the product of a small town much like Andy Griffith’s Mayberry, where his parents were pharmacists.
Attachment 357903
Upon graduation from college, Robinson was commissioned as an infantry officer in the U.S. Army in 1968. He completed Ranger and Airborne training and was sent for overseas tours in Germany and Vietnam. At times he carried a seven iron while on patrols as a walking stick, often hitting rocks and nuts to pass the time. He figures it was a link to his pipe dream of being a professional golfer.

After his tours of duty, he was assigned to a Special Forces Group. While at Fort Bragg qualifying to wear a group flash insignia on his green beret, he noticed that the soldiers who liked to hunt (particularly the American Indians who were hunters) knew how to move stealthily and undetected; they were comfortable alone in the woods. He worked at acquiring those skills, a task made more difficult by his collegiate rugby days when moving quietly and slowly was not the thing to do.

While flying around Vietnam as a passenger in small helicopters, Robinson learned from the pilots to constantly watch the gauges to check on the aircraft engine. It seemed to be a good idea and it became a habit. He now counts on the information he receives from the oil pressure and temperature gauges to monitor the performance of the Gerbil’s engine. He does not have much use for “idiot lights.”

After leaving active duty in the Army, Robinson remained in the reserves for several years while he went back through college and became an architect. He graduated from the University of Tennessee.
Attachment 357902
Over the years his projects have included small hospitals, churches and manufacturing facilities in rural areas of Tennessee, and motels along interstates in Tennessee, Virginia and North Carolina. Because of this, Robinson is on the road quite a bit, especially during the work week. It’s hard on the old Jeep to be on the road at night between projects, and so Robinson tries to be prepared for anything as he and the Gerbil drive home late at night.
Robinson keeps a 2 gallon can of water, tools, battery cable, flashlight, and survival kit with clothes, food and a blanket with him when he is driving. Peanut butter and crackers are excellent survival foods.

To keep the 4.0 straight-6 “honey of an engine” running as well as it can, he tries to keep more oil going in than the amount that comes out the back. When any strange noise occurs while driving the Jeep, Robinson just puts it in neutral and listens to the engine to hear to how it’s running. It’s that old Army habit of his.

Robinson says all of his Jeeps have been good vehicles. This one now has over 452,479 miles on it. He likes the fact that the Gerbil is a white Jeep because if he has a problem with a body part, he can usually find a match. For example, once he had to replace the heavy driver’s side door; one of the hinges broke. He was able to find a junked Jeep with the same door down to the pinstriping.

He has his eye out now for some little dashboard parts and the plastic console, but he’s in no great hurry. As he put it “Nobody rides with me, it’s just me and my golf clubs.” A golf buddy who has a Meineke shop and also has a high mileage Jeep has been a Jeep consultant for the Gerbil.

On the way to a University of Tennessee Alumni Golf Tournament in Atlanta, someone dropped something out of a car and Robinson ran across it. Whatever it was cracked the transfer case housing and that eventually led to replacing the transfer case. He tried to figure out a way to run the Gerbil without a transfer case, thinking that he could get along without shifting into four-wheel-drive. His golf-buddy Jeep-consultant nixed the idea because there is a chain in there that can seize up. Well, it did and, though the engine ran fine, the Jeep stood still; it was stuck in neutral. Robinson had to get a transfer case from an old car and put it in.

The Jeep ran well until an unintended consequence surfaced: A control device on the outside of the transmission caused the transmission to fail. (The replacement transmission probably came from the same Jeep from which the transfer case was taken.) That was around 2008. A few other oddball parts have had to be replaced over the years (a couple of water pumps and a serpentine belt) but those things hardly count to Robinson, because they are more like maintenance than anything else.

Robinson does not rotate tires, a practice he learned from an engineer with whom he worked years ago. Instead, every fall he inspects the tires and replaces four at a time if needed. He buys the least expensive tires he can and selects the best of the old set to keep as his spare. He keeps it mounted and balanced on a full size rim that matches the others so that, if he has a flat while on the road, he does not have to stop twice: once to put the 50 mile spare on and a second time to replace the 50 mile spare. He can just drive home. [Allpar note: this is not recommended for front wheel drive cars.]

When the vehicle had about 400,000 miles on it, he thought maybe it was burning oil. He got the engine steam cleaned and found out that it was blowing oil out of a spot where the oil filter goes onto the block. He found that there was a manufacturer’s bulletin about a little $16 oil filter mounting adapter. He had it put it on. That part corrected the oil leak. Since the engine was steam cleaned, it runs a whole lot cooler.

There is one more way that his army experience has served him well. The tailgate on the Gerbil likes to slam shut because the two cylinders that hold the tailgate up have lost their compression. Robinson found a wood framing member from an army cot that fits perfectly between the tail light and the tailgate bumper cushion — a field expediency example almost as good as when his son noticed the golf tees he had used to seal a broken vacuum hose on another vehicle he drove years ago.

As of February 21, 2011, the 1995 Grand Cherokee was still registered and rolling.

remdawg 03-05-2012 03:31 PM

Nice work -- I'm at 74k now so I'm still a ways off from you (probably in a couple years I'll get there). Hoping I have the same luck (so far so good)!

quadandjeepguy 08-15-2013 10:23 PM

My parents van has over 200,000 miles on it

91AzXJ 08-16-2013 12:43 AM

My 91 XJ has 216k and my 2011 KK has 26k on it.

SuperRliBerty 08-16-2013 09:07 AM

I now have 134245 miles on my libby. The alternator failed at 120k. I Bought a reman alt at Discount auto stores for $145, with a $25 core return, $120 out the door with a lifetime warranty.

I inquire about the lifetime warranty and the sales associate said to bring back the reman alt, be it 5 years, 10 years or when ever it fails. If I don't have the receipt, no problem. The serial number has been entered on the bill of sale. They can scan the S/N on the alternator, and if it was purchase from any discount auto store nationwide, they will find it. They will test it, if it fails, a new reman will be given to me at no cost.

Try that at satan (dealer) hell hole.

Cobradwight 08-16-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty (Post 13179105)
Absolutely! had a positive experience! well recommend a libby to a first time buyer. Let them know that it has a two valve, push rod 3.7L that drinks gas like cheap beer.....

I will keep my Libby..

Actually the 3.7 doesn't have pushrods . It has single overhead cams that push against the rocker arm actuating the valves .

I would change the water pump at your mileage as safe insurance. I've done the head gaskets for a 4.7 which is pretty much the same motor minus 2 cylinders . What a pita , those water pumps fail a lot so I would expect the same here.

The time now is 09:26 AM.