'08 Liberty Blower Motor Replacement How-To - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > '08 Liberty Blower Motor Replacement How-To

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
lsejlowe
2002 WJ 

'08 Liberty Blower Motor Replacement How-To

'08 Liberty sport (manual temperature and fan controls)

The blower motor in our Liberty started making some unusual noises early last week. I didn't look into it immediately as I'm in the middle of a FMS replacement on my WJ, but within a few days it stopped working on all but the highest fan setting.

Turns out the bearing went bad in the fan, and after some continued use it burned out the resistor. This is a very easy replacement, so if you're a newbie this would be a good place to get your feet wet.

So if your fan is exhibiting odd behavior it's because of one of two things:
1. the blower motor resistor is damaged (Mopar #68003998AA, $12.64 on weRmopar.com)
2. the blower motor is damaged (mopar #68003996AA, $75.00 on weRmopar.com)

If the fan runs on all speeds, but sounds funny (like ours did) it's probably the motor. If it only runs on high speed but sounds fine it's probably the resistor.

To get to the motor, remove the padded cover in the passenger footwell. There are two plastic screw type fasteners at the forward edge. Also remove the plastic kickpanel/trim piece. There are no fasteners for the kickpanel, just pull gently and it you can dislodge the slot & tab retainers:

Here's the blower motor:

Locate the three screws holding the motor into the rest of the HVAC system. Disconnect the electrical connector from the motor and use a T20 torx driver to remove the three screws. The motor drops right out and you're ready to swap in the new one. Here's the new and old motor sitting next to each other:

The rust on some of the internals make me wonder if there was some excessive moisture in there that contributed to the bearing failure at 50,000 miles.

As for the resistor, you access that from behind the glove box. Just open the glove box and push the little retaining arms inward to allow it to open all the way. The resistor is held in by two screws and has a gray electrical connector plugged into it. In this shot I've already removed the connector and screws:

There is a metal tab soldered to the rest of the resistor. If the resistor has failed, that metal tab pops up and breaks continuity. That's an intended failure mode like a fusible link. In the following pic I had re-soldered the tab for troubleshooting purposes:

lsejlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Great writeup! This is really good to know. In many other vehicle models, replacing the blower motor means a complete dash disassemble... I'm glad the people designing our KK's thought of that!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.