08 KK Liberty COMMAND-TRAC Transfer Case capacity - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 08 KK Liberty COMMAND-TRAC Transfer Case capacity

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #31
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Interesting that the capacity listed is 3.9 pints but actual quantity to top off is right at around 3.9 quarts! Coincidence? Also interesting that you pull out only 2 quarts from factory fill which is 3.9 pints. Could this be a factory worker filling the fluid to "spec" versus to bottom of fill hole, and could it be a typo that they said pints when it should be quart?

If all of this speculation is true, could 4x4 libbys be at risk right out of factory?

Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #32
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

There is a very good chance that the chain in my transfer case is stretched and that's the cause of my vibration. I'll know more after tomorrow if the new trutrac doesn't fix it. I had the same problem with the capacity issue, also with the diffs. The manual was almost a quart off for the front diff. Seems to me that the factory was cutting corners. I know for a fact that they build their cars based on 100,000 miles. They pay close attention to every step in the production process and save pennies whenever they can. I wouldn't trust the writes capacity when it contradicts the procedure, especially if it's on the short side. I'm driving around with 3 quarts for the moment but intend to top it off when I get a chance.
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #33
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Gonna try to tackle this on my next day off.

Anyone notice any better performance after doing the T-case?
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #34
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

No not really.
Unread 12-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #35
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Perhaps the final note: filled up to bottom of fill hole and tcase did a "purge" of the excess. Just fill to spec amount rather than to bottom of fill hole. Must have an overpressure relief valve on it.
Unread 12-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #36
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I just did mine a few months ago to where I could touch it with my fingertip.
Unread 12-10-2013, 04:04 AM   #37
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I topped mine off shortly after my last post. I noticed the front seal is seeping fluid. Not sure if it's related to the problems I'm having with the front axle but it's not likely. Maybe these aren't supposed to be filled all the way. If that's the case though, how does one check the fluid level?
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #38
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Mine took 5 months to "purge" and leaked out probably 1/4 quart out. Not much. But then it just stopped just as quick.
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #39
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

The tricky part is how much do you put in. The spec amount or fill to bottom of fill hole as the manual says both, but the amount isn't close to the same. The answer is to fill it to the spec amount instead. Filling to bottom of fill hole is too much.
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #40
54lariat
2009 KK Liberty 

So I read all 3 pages

and I think Im going to go with what I take out, which I imagine will be about 2 quarts. Good read tho!
54lariat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #41
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid
Gonna try to tackle this on my next day off. Anyone notice any better performance after doing the T-case?
Gage,

Had my transfer case and axle fluids changed and noticed no change in performance. Had it down around 65k now got about 70k on it.
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:02 AM   #42
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
Gage,

Had my transfer case and axle fluids changed and noticed no change in performance. Had it down around 65k now got about 70k on it.
Nothing gained, but peace of mind and the knowledge to do it again or if I have to help out another Jeeper.
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #43
dtbingle
2011 KK Liberty 

Just changed mine....like others, about 2 quarts out, and like 3.7 quarts in. So should this be drained to like 2 quarts'ish or is having 3.7 quarts fine (to bottom of the fill plug)?
dtbingle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #44
jfost2001

I just took out 2 qts and put in 2.75 qts. I was afraid of blowing seals so I stopped. I'm going to leave it at this. Should be good to go.
jfost2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.