08 KK Liberty COMMAND-TRAC Transfer Case capacity - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 08 KK Liberty COMMAND-TRAC Transfer Case capacity

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #16
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Also, my owners manual does state "fluid should be added only at the filler hole until fluid start to run out of filler hole".

My concern here is that this could be a "boiler plate" statement for the manuals and not apply to our tcases.

So it still leaves me baffled.... which is it? Lol I'm half tempted to split the difference and just throw in an extra quart of oil.....

Unread 07-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Feel obligated to give you guys a quick update in case someone makes a decision based on my previous posts.

Had a friend in FL check with his local dealership... they all fill up to the drain plug. Today i'm off from work so I gave my dealer a call (who im on pretty good terms with since I bought 2 jeeps from them in the past year when "times were tough" for dealers in general)... called the sales guy i deal with and explained the situation since I didn't want a generic answer from the service manager thinking im not a returning customer (they piss me off ill go elsewhere ). Service manager basically said that every jeep there gets filled to the drain plug, which is what all of the service procedures state to do. He doesn't know why there's such a discrepancy in the specified fluid capacity vs what it actually takes to fill this particular T-Case but said they've never seen an issue.

Another thing that factors in for me is that I still have almost 3 years left on my warranty... and they emphatically agreed that if I have an issue with a seal blowing out or worse, that I would not be at fault because my manual clearly states to fill it up until the drain plug. As a matter of fact, my owners manual doesn't even specify a fluid capacity in it... So to be "safe" with my warranty, it's best to go by the manuals service procedure.

The result: I put another 1.5+ quarts in (yup, took a little over 3.5 total like other members have claimed) and im not going to think about it anymore
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #18
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Figured I'd add my experience to this mystery...I just did the diffs and transfer case on my wife's KK tonight. First change at 32k. Exactly 2 quarts of fluid came out of the transfer case. I re-filled it with exactly 4 quarts, to the fill hole.

Sounds to me like the transfer case will hold 2 to 4 quarts and the manufacturer is filling it to the low end to save some money.

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #19
stumpers54
2009 KK Liberty 

Based on my earlier post and those sumitted after, I thought I would try something.........During an oil change, I decided to pull 1.5 quarts from the T-Case which would bring the volume to about 2.3 quarts, close to what the fill volume was from the factory. I then proceeded to go up North for the weekend with boat in tow. Periodically, during highway operations, my ESP and Svc 4WD warning lights would display to include turning off the ESP. This happened roughly 6 times and lasted for about 15 minutes or so. No detectable operating impacts were noted. Shortly after returning, I stopped by Advance Auto and had them scan for historical fault codes and none were present. I topped off the T-Case to the fill hole with about 1.5 quarts and towed the boat the following weekend with no warning lights ever illuminating........I suspect the lights/ESP off issue I experienced was somehow related to heat build up due to low fluid fill, although I don't know if there is a T-Case temp sensor............8/10/11. Just got back from towing the boat with two Yaks on the roof. Even with the T-Case full and using the tow/haul mode, the same issue returned. I am at a loss to figure this out, looks like I may have to take it to the dealer.

Last edited by stumpers54; 08-11-2011 at 09:24 AM..
stumpers54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #20
DanFxr
2010 KK Liberty 

Transfer Case volume 2010 Lib

Just changed the fluid in my transfer case. About 2 quarts came out. I can not find the refill capacity in the owners manual or online. I put 2 quarts back in however it does not come out of the filler port. Is there any update to the correct volume. Thanks
DanFxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
JeepCares

Taken from the 2008 KK FSM:

Transfer Case - capacity

♦ MP1522 1.9 Quarts 1.8 Liters
♦ MP3022 2.0 Quarts 1.9 Liters

♦ Approximate dry fill or fill to bottom edge of fill plug hole.
CAUTION: Nominal refill capacities are shown. A variation may be observed from vehicle to vehicle due to manufacturing tolerance and refill procedure.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #22
AtTheHelm

Yeah same happened to me, about 2qt came out but it took almost 4 qt to fill to the plug. Apparently it comes out the breather hose when you fill to the plug.
I adjusted back to 2 qts...
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares
Taken from the 2008 KK FSM:

Transfer Case - capacity

♦ MP1522 1.9 Quarts 1.8 Liters
♦ MP3022 2.0 Quarts 1.9 Liters

♦ Approximate dry fill or fill to bottom edge of fill plug hole.
CAUTION: Nominal refill capacities are shown. A variation may be observed from vehicle to vehicle due to manufacturing tolerance and refill procedure.
Thanks for commenting but there is no way there is that much variation in machining/casting tolerances.
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
27tubguy
2008 KK Liberty 

anbody have the exact fill amounts on all fluids??

Im trying to change out all fluids stem to stern anyone got the real world fills, for front diff(dana 30) rear (8.25) tranny, transfer on an 08 KK.
Morgan, Im listening...lol
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #25
AtTheHelm

If i remember correctly...

Front: 80w 90 GL5 little under 2qts, to fill plug

Tcase: ATF+4 I ended up going with 2qts at the recommendation of a reputable lost member.

Rear: 75w 140 synthetic, about 2.25 qts, to fill plug (stock diff cover)

Coolant: must be mopar hoat or zerex G05 (valvoline product) 14qts
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
AtTheHelm

Highly recommend dealer for the transmission fluid change though unless you want to buy the $60 dipstick and a scanner that reads real time trans temp.
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #27
x99j

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Apparently it comes out the breather hose when you fill to the plug.
I adjusted back to 2 qts...
did you experience this? i got 4 quarts in mine and seems to be alright?

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #28
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Glad I found this post so Im not the only one who discovered this. I bought three quarts to make sure I had enough fluid and lo and behold I was still short of "top off." From the trail of posts, Im leaving it at three quarts.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

1 qt= 2pint
so when they say that it takes 3.9 pints they are talking about 2qt.
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #30
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

some people recommend mineral vs synthetic oils for the differentials, some aftermarket differential companies write "do no use synthetic", reason is that the diff. are splash lubricated a totally different system that the engine and transmission
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.