08 KK Liberty COMMAND-TRAC Transfer Case capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > 08 KK Liberty COMMAND-TRAC Transfer Case capacity

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
mjcougler
2008 KK Liberty 

08 KK Liberty COMMAND-TRAC Transfer Case capacity

My KK has 34K miles and I just drained and refilled my transfer case. Approximately 2-quarts came out and 3 1/2 quarts went in. My Jeep has been serviced by a local Jeep dealer for the past three or four oil changes. They perform free oil changes for life and claim to perform a 40-point vehicle safety check including all fluids.

My first question: what is the published capacity of the transfer case? I couldn't find the capacity in my owners manual. BTW, the vehicle was level when I filled it. And for the record, quart containers of AT+4, a gear-oil screw-on spout and a rubber hose is a pain in the a** way to fill the transfer case while laying on your back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

mjcougler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #2
Elt31987

2008 KK Liberty 

I have the service manual at home that might say but im at work until later tonight. tjkj2002 would probably know off the top of his head.
Daystar 2" Spacer Lift With SkyJacker Hydro Shocks
JBA Gen 5.5 Upper Control Arms
Rokmen Riddler 8.25 Differential Cover
2 KC Slimlite 100 Watt Driving Lights on JK Light Bar
245/75/16 All Terrains
Mopar Front Tow Hooks
Mopar Rear Tow Hook
Mopar Skids
Elt31987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

The KK has a differant transfer case then the KJ.What I found was the Command trac MP1522 takes 3.9 pts.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
mjcougler
2008 KK Liberty 

08 KK Transfer case capacity

I'm still confused. If it holds 3.9 pints (2-quarts), how am I able to squeeze 3 1/2 quarts into the fill hole? Jeep was level.
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcougler View Post
I'm still confused. If it holds 3.9 pints (2-quarts), how am I able to squeeze 3 1/2 quarts into the fill hole? Jeep was level.
You said you took out about 2 qts,thats what it calls for,so 2 qts go back in.If you over fill it it probably will blow out the seals.You could put about 12qts of oil in your engine,but that doesnt make it right.
Unread 09-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
mjcougler
2008 KK Liberty 

Rich,
The owner's manual says to check that fluid level is at the bottom of the fill hole. That is when ATF+4 starts dripping back out of the fill hole. The fill hole is also so small my pinkey finger will not even fit to feel how full it is. I suppose a pipe cleaner would work if I had one. That is where the 3 1/2 quarts went when it seemed to be dripping back out. With the squeeze and rubber hose method, the last 1/4 - 1/2 or so of the quart won't squeeze in, and I didn't open a fourth quart to try to squeeze more in.

Thanks again,
Unread 09-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcougler View Post
Rich,
The owner's manual says to check that fluid level is at the bottom of the fill hole. That is when ATF+4 starts dripping back out of the fill hole. The fill hole is also so small my pinkey finger will not even fit to feel how full it is. I suppose a pipe cleaner would work if I had one. That is where the 3 1/2 quarts went when it seemed to be dripping back out. With the squeeze and rubber hose method, the last 1/4 - 1/2 or so of the quart won't squeeze in, and I didn't open a fourth quart to try to squeeze more in.

Thanks again,
Well if the hose was as big as the fill hole you overfilled it and forced the fluid in places it should not be or your mixing up qts and pints.If the capacity is only 3.9 pints only 3.9 pints will fit in it if the vehicle is level and the t-case has no leaks,or you are really fast at putting the fill plug back in.

The other issue could be your trans rear seal and t-case input seals are leaking and you forced the extra fluid into the trans or the trans/t-case adapter where it should not be going.
Unread 10-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just did my 09 wrangler and my wifes 08 liberty. Both thake around 2 qts. according to the book.

Around 2 came out of my wrangler and 2 went back in.

My wifes liberty, 2 came out but 2 did not fill it up?? I squirted a hair more and I left it at that. Nothing ran out. I didn not want to overfill.

When i compared the 2 drains. I drained them both in seperate 1 gal buckets and looked roughly the same.

odd..........

I ran the 4wd through our muddy yard and all seemed ok. Whats the deal with the Hill decent button. When i had it on in 4lo. seemed like a herd a bunch of grinding in the brakes and felt grinding in the brake pedal?? I tried it going down our hill. Felt like it was tring to hold back the liberty. (doing what is supposed to do)

Seems like ESP and HDC are just ploys to eat up brakes!!!!
armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
mjcougler
2008 KK Liberty 

08 KK Transfer case capacity

armedsks,
Now you know my frustration. 2 quarts came out but 3 1/2 quarts went in. More might still go in, but I stopped at 3 1/2-quarts.

Is it possible they put 2-quarts in at the factory; but, the T-case actually holds more, but anything over 2-quarts is unnecessary?

Thanks again,
Unread 10-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Here are the capacities for Command and select trac:Transfer Case, MP1522..........3.9 pints
Transfer Case, MP3022..........4.1 pints

Anything over that,and you will be blowing out the seals.
Unread 10-25-2010, 03:32 AM   #11
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

I also read the book after it wanted to take more than 2 qts. It said to keep the fluid level 3/16" to flush with the fill hole.

hmmm...
armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #12
stumpers54
2009 KK Liberty 

2009 Liberty MP1522 Transfer Case Fluid Drain/Fill

I also just changed my Tcase fluid two days ago. The same thing happened to me, in that 2 Qts. came out and approximately 3.8 went in. I searched the web and only found this thread. Today, I contacted my local mechanic who looked up the capacity in his maintenance database application and reported that it stated 3.9 pints. Also, I stopped by the Jeep dealer this afternoon to purchase a 7 Pin connector for my hitch and while there, I spoke to one of the service managers regarding my dilema. He brought up the maintenance procedure on his work station and showed me the pictorial and text procedure. Although it did not note the quantity of fluid, it did clearly indicate that you fill with fluid to the bottom of the fill hole/plug. I'm still a little hesitant to accept that I'm driving around with almost 2 Qts. of extra fluid as compared to all other sources stating the capacity is 3.8-3.9 pints. I will be at the dealer tomorrow to pick up my connector and will speak to the powertrain/trans lead tech to verify the fill quantity........Still working it.........Update 3/22/11; Went to the dealership today to pick up my connector. Asked again to see the powertrain/trans lead tech, but he was at lunch. The service manager simply reinforced the procedure from the day before and said not to worry about it, just fill to bottom of fill hole/plug. I will continue to drive with 3.8 quarts in my Tcase and try not to think about it.

Last edited by stumpers54; 03-22-2011 at 01:23 PM..
stumpers54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Glad im not the only one who has this issue. Just changed all of the fluids in my wifes KK... went to fill up the T-Case and ended up putting a whole 3 quarts in and that didn't fill it, so I stopped and double checked every source I could for proper capacity. Everywhere I could find, the spec was for [about] 2 quarts.

I opted to pull the fresh fluid out with my evacuator, drained the residual and then refilled with the "proper" amount per the specified capacity.

I find it strange that some of us are driving around with 2 quarts and others are driving around with almost 4 quarts depending on what "method" you go by (spec'd quantity vs. filling to plug).
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #14
mjcougler
2008 KK Liberty 

08 KK Liberty COMMAND-TRAC Transfer Case capacity

I'm glad this post is still going. Eventually we will get to the root of the confusion. To make an assumption at this point, it sounds like 2 quarts are put in at the factory, but the capacity is 3.8 quarts. Meaning, if you pump in AT+4 until it drips back out of the fill hole, you will pump-in about 3.8 quarts.

This sounds like a "money-saving" measure at the factory. It NEEDS at least 2-quarts for normal wear-and-tear to not wear-out the transfer case during the factory warranty period. But, the exact engineering placement of the fill hole means it will actually hold 3.8 quarts.

To make another analogy, if Im not mistaken, when an engine in a truck holds 6-quarts of oil and the same engine in a car holds 5-quarts, they intentionally put in a bigger oil pan capacity to allow the oil to cool-off a little longer in the pan before it is pumped back into the engine again. That said, our transfer cases should run a lot cooler if we all fill our transfer cases to the bottom of the fill hole. This also means that the "wear" contaminants that are in your AT+4 are more concentrated if you only have 2-quarts of AT+4 in your transfer case. Does this mean our transfer case will run cleaner, cooler and wear-out slower if you have 3.8 quarts in there?

Please, I hope other Liberty owners will continue to contribute to this experiment. Whenever you change your transfer case oil, measure the AT+4 that comes out, add the new AT+4 until it just begins to come out the fill hole, and make a post of your findings to this thread.

Please, are there any jeep service technicians that would like to perform this controlled experiment? Please comment too!

Thanks in advance,
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

That analogy doesn't exactly work since the engine has a larger pan to accommodate more fluid.... it would be like running 6 quarts of oil in our 3.7L instead of the specified 5.. in which case we'd be overfilling which can cause issues. As mentioned earlier, an over filled tcase can cause seal issues because there's less air in there to be compressed as the fluid heats up and expands, so the internal pressure will increase. That's why I decided and put the specified amount back in.... I don't want to be over filled.

I've been thinking about trying to contact some sort of Chrysler tech support but I'm not sure that'd get me anywhere.

I wish I knew about this issue before I drained my tcase.... I had already drained my rear diff so I'm not sure exactly how much fluid came out of the tcase (using same pan).

Does anyone have a service manual for the KK??

I'm going to talk to my friends at the shop I used to work at to see if they ran into this before. My boss used to be close with a local Chrysler dealer service manager.... but the dealer closed down about 2 years ago so I'm not sure if that route will get me anywhere.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.