post #1 of Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
tytrev
1997 TJ Wrangler 

First "by me" jeep build

Starting a self built 97 TJ 2.5L 5spd purchased bone stock. So far...4" SA lift, 8k x2o winch, & lock rite in D30 front, 33x12.50 BFG MTs on 15x10 aluminum blacks. Up next... SYE/shaft, E-locker in D35 rear, and go from there!

Last edited by tytrev; 04-21-2013 at 11:29 PM. Reason: More detail
post #2 of Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
tytrev
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got the 33s on today...really like how it turned out!
Attached Images

97 TJ SE: Building for medium trails
62 CJ5 Willys: Restoring to original...well close to original
Who cares about my other cars? They're not JEEPS!
post #3 of Old 08-20-2013, 01:06 PM
usjeep

Get rid of the D35. Go to a D44 or a ford 8.8 the D35 is a tooth pick. It is not if it breaks it is when it breaks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #4 of Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
tytrev
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I hear that all the time. I was considering building a super 35...but I think I would regret it in the end. I was looking at G2 and danatrac's 44's but wow the price!

post #5 of Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM
usjeep

Look at getting a ford 8.8 done. Could be done around 1300$

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #6 of Old 08-21-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
tytrev
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll look into it, thanks.

post #7 of Old 08-21-2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
tytrev
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got my reman TC today. I found a place online (transfer case express) that built me an upgraded NP 231. I was able to speak directly with Verne the man in remanufacturing. He told me they would install the bigger drive chain and chain sprocket (used in the 1500 series trucks). Replace the stock 3 pinion planetary gear with a 6 pinion planetary gear, and that the casing they used allowed for a larger input bearing. All this in addition to the AA SYE.
The price was very reasonable and everyone at TCE was really great to deal with!

Now just waiting on the DC CV rear drive line ordered from rough country....

post #8 of Old 08-24-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
tytrev
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Installed the new TC yesterday. It was relatively easier than I thought it would be. It was great to get rid of my TC drop spacers and put my linkage back where it belongs ( it was coming out of 4 lo with the linkage dropped down).
The only problem I ran into was the rear SYE drive line from rough country. IT WAS TOO SHORT!! With the CV fully extended it was missing about 3/4" and would not reach the yoke on the D35. Rough country looked at my order and told me I had ordered the correct line, but could not tell me why it was too short. So now I'm limping around in front wheel drive ( which sucks with a locker up there).

It looks like the D35 pinion angle will not be correct when I do finally get the rear DL in. So now I'm looking at what it takes to twist the rear D35. It looks like up first are some adjustable rear upper control arms. Then I'm not 100% sure but it looks like...rear adjustable track bar, rear coil spring angle pads, and rear shock angle adjusting brackets may be involved also.

So the saga continues...it's getting expensive this addiction of mine. I'm still loving it though and doing these mods without a shop is teaching me all the inner workings of my TJ. Which is the point of it all, making trail trouble shooting and repair easier.

Until next time....
Attached Images

post #9 of Old 09-07-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
tytrev
1997 TJ Wrangler 

SUCCESS!
Found an awesome new jeep part website called www.4x4groupbuy.com. Their pricing is unbelievable on the stuff I looked at, backed with great service. They ordered a Tom woods shaft for me custom (which was how I should have got it in the first place)...but the kicker is that they got it $45 cheaper than my previous wrong size shaft.

So given the pinion angle was obviously not going to line up, and group buy's prices...I picked up a rear adjustable track bar, rear adjustable upper control arms, rear coil spring angle pads, and rear shock axel relocation brackets.

-The adj track bar was great. Easy to install and allowed me to get rid of my "cheap lift" track bar bracket. It looks like this was a "must" part after twisting the axle to get the right pinion angle.

-The rear adj upper cont arms were also good. The instructions were strange though that they had me disconnecting the entire axle...sway bar, springs and all! So I decided to wing it on my own (normally providing horrible results). After figuring out the new rebuildable joints i removed the OEM arms at standard drive height. Then jacked the front of the axle housing to the desired pinion angle. After adjusting the new arms to the new twisted axle length, they went right on.
So far my departure from the instructions seems to have worked.

-Doesn't look like I needed the coil angle pads. The springs look ok, but going to keep them in case rear flexing proves otherwise.

-The rear shock brackets worked well for pulling the shocks away from the axle providing room for the twist.

The best part of all this work is my new familiarity with the rear of my jeep! I have a much better understanding of what is doing what under there.

Now my priority is the 488's ( which has to include the "what rear axle do I use" question) and getting the rear bumper tire carrier squared away.
FUN FUN FUN!
Attached Images