Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > TJ Wrangler > 2 Jeeps into 1?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

2 Jeeps into 1? Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep TJ Wrangler Next Jeep

2 Jeeps into 1?

Email Bookmark Print
jcrisli1
Myrtle Beach

Jeep Information

Year:97 & 98

Model:Wrangler TJ

Engine:2.5 & 4.0

I have a 97 tj with 4" lift and 35" bfgs. Its black w soft top and underneath looks great w no rust whatsoever. The problem is...it has a 2.5L w auto trans. Does good up to 45-50 mph but no power after that to turn those big meets. So I just purchased a 98 tj with 4.0L and auto. Motor runs strong and shifts great. It is the blueish grey color w a hard top. I love the blue color. Underneath has a good bit of rust and and deterioration (prob from mud and off road). I want to keep my 97 bc its so frame and underneath is so clean and in great shape, BUT I want the 4.0L and I like the blue paint. Need some help here veterans. How much trouble would it be to pull and switch the 2.5 for the 4.0 (whole drivetrain)? Computer and wiring changes? Whats the easiest way to make this happen? Or should I just keep the 98 w 4.0 in it and repair everything?

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments

RabidDingo
View RabidDingo's Jeep
03-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrisli1
I have a 97 tj with 4" lift and 35" bfgs. Its black w soft top and underneath looks great w no rust whatsoever. The problem is...it has a 2.5L w auto trans. Does good up to 45-50 mph but no power after that to turn those big meets. So I just purchased a 98 tj with 4.0L and auto. Motor runs strong and shifts great. It is the blueish grey color w a hard top. I love the blue color. Underneath has a good bit of rust and and deterioration (prob from mud and off road). I want to keep my 97 bc its so frame and underneath is so clean and in great shape, BUT I want the 4.0L and I like the blue paint. Need some help here veterans. How much trouble would it be to pull and switch the 2.5 for the 4.0 (whole drivetrain)? Computer and wiring changes? Whats the easiest way to make this happen? Or should I just keep the 98 w 4.0 in it and repair everything?
Just change your gears out. It's the easiest thing to do.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.