Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Jeep Registry > YJ Wrangler > Ol' Blue

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Ol' Blue Jeep Registry
Previous Jeep YJ Wrangler Next Jeep

Ol' Blue

Email Bookmark Print
Mechman71
Langhorne, PA

Jeep Information

Year:1989

Model:YJ

Engine:4.2

Transmission:Peugeot 5 speed

Transfer Case:NP231

Front Axle:stock

Rear Axle:stock

Axle Gear Ratio:3:07

Suspension:stock

Tires:Goodyear Wrangler 30's

Wheels:stock steelies

Armor:Armor-All

Recovery Gear:tow strap and a cell phone

Accessories:Carr rear bumper steps, Millersound rear speaker boxes

Future Modifications:4.0 (in process), 16" GC early snowflake alloys (got 'em) w/BFG's, 2.5" lift, 8.8 & 4:10's, mebbe a winch

My YJ is a Spinnaker Blue and grey '89 with a 4.2 and 5 speed, hard top and full hard doors. It has no rust to speak of on the body, but the frame is getting a little punky at the rear shackles (it'll get fixed soon). The original interior is nearly perfect, including the dash and stock console. The only thing missing is the rear carpet.

I traded a '78 Kawasaki KZ650 for it (had $500 total in that bike), even up. I installed a rebuilt Carter carb and replaced the rear axle and brakes because the later rear that was in it had shed teeth from both the ring and pinion. I installed a rear from another '89 YJ as I was in a rush to get it back on the road, but I got busy before I could finish and it's still sitting. If I could go back, I'd put in a Ford 8.8 and a 4:10 front axle and call it a day (an Explorer axle would cost me about $50).

I replaced the stock bumperettes with a set of Carr cast aluminum rear bumper steps I found on a wrecked YJ in a junkyard. I found a pair of vintage Millersound rear speaker boxes that fit under the sport roll cage in the triangular spaces, on Craigslist for really cheap. They came with two new internal clutch slave cylinders, part of a Rancho lift kit and a Chilton manual.

I'm tired of the constant vacuum problems with my rig, so I'm in the process of preparing for an FI swap. After long consideration, I'm swapping the bell housing (for the CPS hole) and fuel tank then dropping in a 4.0. I'll rebuild another 4.0 as a stroker so that I can drop it in when my used 4.0 gives out. I considered that I wanted an MPI setup but didn't want to pay for the replacement harmonic balancer and CPS relocation bracket - I want a serpentine belt setup as my p/s pump and alternator are tired too. If I'm going to pull the motor to swap the bell housing and flywheel, i might as well drop in a 4.0 and call it a day. I've already sourced all of the parts (a '92 YJ wiring harness, computer and fuel tank, and a '93 YJ 4.0 with under 100k), so the swap should be a snap. I should be able to get it all done for no more than $650.

Other planned upgrades include a 2.5" lift (new springs and boomerang shackles), new shocks, an AX-15 or TF999 when the Pukeout pukes out, a 4.5 stroker, new paint and a cool hood decal (I'm designing one myself). I may upgrade the seat frames to recliners and the column to a tilt, and an XJ leather wrapped steering wheel is a MUST. I'm also on the hunt for a vintage set of Carr aluminum nerf bars to replace rotted out Smittybuilt ones I had to cut off. I have a set of five snowflake alloys from a 95-98 Grand Cherokee Limited Edition that are currently getting wrapped in BFG 265/70 16's, which will get swapped on as soon as the lift goes in.

Beyond that? We'll see...

Tags
None

Login Or Register To Post Comments